Measuring USB-C current consumption

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by laz232, Jan 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. laz232, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

laz232 macrumors 6502

Is there a terminal (or GUI) method of getting the USB-C current draw of an attached peripheral device connected to a MacBook Pro (actual draw, not class specification)? AFAIK the USB-C power monitor devices only pass through power, not full speed data.

I would like to compare power consumption of some of the USB-C docks.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

3. laz232 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, that isn't USB-C and doesn't pass through USB-3.1 data.

4. dwig macrumors 6502

Lon at Lon.tv in this YouTube vid seems to be using a device that would fit your needs:

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Do you want me to find one that specifically meets your needs? If so, list them here and I'll get on it next week.

6. laz232 thread starter macrumors 6502

It appears (watching the video) that is only passes through power - I want to measure power consumption of attached peripherals.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    Not sure if that is missing a /s tag. I want to measure the current consumption of USB-C attached peripherals (as per original post) whilst they are operating in USB-C mode.

7. HenryAZ macrumors 6502a

HenryAZ

Well, you could take a short USB-C extension cable, cut off the insulation, isolate the two power wires and route them through your DMM in ammeter mode in series (inline).

8. laz232 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but for various reasons I don't want to do that: the multiple wires that need to be cut, the burden voltage of the DMM and that I need to identify the 4 wires: (A4, A9, B4, B9).

Also for the price of a USB-C extension cable here (no - there is no Amazon Basics available here) then I might as well put that into a device rather than a hack.