Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I accidentally checked out the wrong videos earlier. :D This looks way better than the first abomination they ported and 32 players support is cool.

OK, I'm going to have to pick this up because of the multiplayer support.

Why would anyone want to play this on a PSP with their thumb? :eek:

<]=)

The Senator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Virginia
it looks pretty tight, I hear the controls are better then metriod prime 3. and the multiplayer looks really tight. if anyone has played it, please post

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Does anyone know if there's a way to talk to your teammates using a headset? It seems with 32 player online matches this would be needed. I know Nintendo is starting to do that stuff, I saw a DS game (don't remember which) that let you talk to the other person through the microphone (amazed me and made me happy that the DS finally did that), but I haven't seen it in the Wii yet. I'd be willing to buy a headset to be able to do that.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Does anyone know if there's a way to talk to your teammates using a headset? It seems with 32 player online matches this would be needed. I know Nintendo is starting to do that stuff, I saw a DS game (don't remember which) that let you talk to the other person through the microphone (amazed me and made me happy that the DS finally did that), but I haven't seen it in the Wii yet. I'd be willing to buy a headset to be able to do that.

Metroid Prime Hunters had that.

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Looks good. Gunna have to install Medal of Honor AirBorne first though...just got in tonight for my PC. Oh, and I play through RE: Umbrella Chronicles :rolleyes:

I love Medal of Honor though, so I plan on looking into it. I'm to focused on getting some new 360 games though. Maybe my brother will buy it, perhaps? ;)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
It's a dam shame when you have to play a game first in order to play another game! :mad: :p

RE: UC. Freak, another game I want to buy. I only like buying one game every other month to keep the weef at bay and I'm already at 2 this month.

<]=)

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Eh, well 'tis the season to blow all your money. As for not starting another game...it's kinda of a ritual thing. I don't like being wrapped up in two games at once. God forbid they're both good games. I'll get overwhelmed :eek:
But oh well, with so many new games out I might have to make an exception.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
Same here, I like one game at a time.

The only thing that worries me, is that when a similar situation arose for the DS, where as too many good games were released, the ones I didn't buy got discontinued. I had to track down Phoenix Wright to get my copy. This was of course prior to Capcom dismissing the fact they had prematurely pulled the game and spewed out another excuse.

Anyway, it's been a while since I've played a good FPS and it looks like EA actually made an effort on this Wii title. I got a bit burned out on them over the past few years, but after playing Metroid and Resdient Wiivil, I'm in the mood. I like the WW2 shooters and tech ones, just not a fan of modern shooters.

<]=)

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
I bought this game. That's 3 games in a couple of weeks, which is a first for me in a long long long long long time. :eek:

The game is fun! The AI is a bit so so for the most part, but I bought this game to eventually play multiplayer. I'm playing the campaign on the hardest level which is Hero. I figured this game would be no different than any other FPS now days, which in general are just too easy to accommodate the console peeps.

The controls are "excellent." Really intuitive and easy to pick up on. This IS WHY I flipped about a Wii when I first heard of it. :)

Being able to lean around corners by simply tilting my nun-chuck while pressing "A" on a zoom in is FREAKING great! Reload is a flick as usual. Sniping is great, it didn't push me on to the stupid-thumb-stick for aiming, so I still have the accuracy of the Wiimote. Crouching is down, switching weapons is right or left, picking up a new weapon is minus.

With the sensitivity turned to max, I could flip around almost as fast as a mouse on a PC FPS. I turned it down to medium sensitivity though, since the gun moves with the Wiimote on these Wii games. On the PC FPSs I played, they're always in a fixed position -- which I used to like, but now it seems odd and unatural.

Visually overall the game looks good. It runs really fast and smooth! The guns look awesome and are Wii worthy, they have really high quality textures with subtle lighting effects -- I was admiring the Thompson's detail level when I first played. This is probably the best looking 3rd party Wii game and it's just the right level that I can easily see enemies and important things from a distance. Overall it's crisp and clear. But understandably since it is a 3rd party game and this is still the "first year" for Wii developers, it's not at the level of first party games like Metroid or the new Mario. From what I can tell, it doesn't make uses of all the modern GPU goodies I've seen, nor are all of the textures and models updated for the Wii -- I've encountered a couple of elements that were probably from the PSP. :eek: Anyway, I'm sure that MoH3 will be at Prime's level all around, MoH2 is definitely on the right track though and it looks way better than any previous 3rd party FPS vomit I've seen.

Anyway, I'm happy with the purchase, once I get practice I'll be killing peeps online.

<]=)

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Sounds good. I haven't really played many shooters on the Wii, so I was curious of how it compares to a PC FPS. From your review JackAxe, it seems to adjust nicely. Once I'm done with Medal of Honor Airborne I may have to swing by GameStop and pick this one up, but first it would probably help if I installed AirBorne. It's been a little busy. Maybe I should go do that now...

The Senator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Virginia
sweet thanks for the post, can you play with 2 people online? like you and a friend at your house on the same wii play online with people???

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
He ment him and a bud on one Wii. In which case...my guess is probably. Nintendo is usually pretty flexible.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
He ment him and a bud on one Wii. In which case...my guess is probably. Nintendo is usually pretty flexible.

Yeah, but Nintendo's not the developer in this case.

Nintendo did it in Strikers and I hope they do it in Smash Bros. It's definitely POSSIBLE, but I have no idea of MoHH2 supports it.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
I'm not sure about the multiplayer co-op, but that would be great. I'll look into it shortly. I just got up and I'm on this board instead of doing the right thing and eating something. :eek:

pgc6000,
This Wii shooter and Prime really hold their own against PC shooters and in some areas offer something more control-wise. The Wiimote isn't as accurate as these later computer mice, but I can say from experience that my Wiimote feels about the same as a 200 or 300 DPI mouse with my current setup, which feels tight and it's fast on the response. I really like holding a gun-type device and pulling the trigger. The fact the gun on the screen moves in relation to my hand is great. Metroid Prime pulled this off to the tee, since Samus holds her gun just like a Wiimote. :) The 3D motion, combined with analogue movement, really give the Wii that extra something that I never had on PCs. The sound in the Wiimote is great on this game. Hearing the clip slide out etc. is awesome -- they all sound crystal clear. There's one point where I had to tune a radio while twisting the Wiimote and listening to its speaker. It had an unnecessary time limit, but none the less I enjoyed the experience.

<]=)

Oneness

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Cowtown
Compared to MP3?

Jack - How do you think it compares to MP3? I normally don't like the single player campaigns in FPS but I absolutely love multiplayer action. I got MP3 hoping I would like it but I am less than impressed. Will I be getting MOH2 just for the multiplayer or is the single player campaign engaging?

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
I'm not sure about the multiplayer co-op, but that would be great. I'll look into it shortly. I just got up and I'm on this board instead of doing the right thing and eating something. :eek:

pgc6000,
This Wii shooter and Prime really hold their own against PC shooters and in some areas offer something more control-wise. The Wiimote isn't as accurate as these later computer mice, but I can say from experience that my Wiimote feels about the same as a 200 or 300 DPI mouse with my current setup, which feels tight and it's fast on the response. I really like holding a gun-type device and pulling the trigger. The fact the gun on the screen moves in relation to my hand is great. Metroid Prime pulled this off to the tee, since Samus holds her gun just like a Wiimote. :) The 3D motion, combined with analogue movement, really give the Wii that extra something that I never had on PCs. The sound in the Wiimote is great on this game. Hearing the clip slide out etc. is awesome -- they all sound crystal clear. There's one point where I had to tune a radio while twisting the Wiimote and listening to its speaker. It had an unnecessary time limit, but none the less I enjoyed the experience.

<]=)
Sounds like it gets the approval. It's gonna feel a bit awkward though. Over the year I've somewhat adjusted to controller-based shooters on my 360. I tried playing RE 4 and just put it down after 15 minutes. To awkward feeling.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
I always grumble about thumb aiming, even though I started with it on the N64. My gripe level has only grown as its influence has had a direct dumbing effect on PC games in general. I really hope MS makes mouse support official or releases their own unique pointer for the games that could use it. Too many games are being gimped these days and are just too easy and MS has always done so much good for PC gaming in the past.

I don't know if this relates to your awkward comment, but your TV size and sensor bar placement play a huge role in how the Wiimote feels. A poor setup can really make the Wiimote inaccurate and difficult to aim with. For my setup in my office, I'm only on a 19" LCD, (Funny how the younger peeps here find that size too small for gaming.) and since the sensor bar is about 60% of the screen's width, everything feels really accurate and tight -- it feels like I'm shooting where I point.

I loved RE:4 once I got used to it. :) The thing that threw me off at first was switching to aim-mode. I would always look up and get annoyed. Anyway, once I got used to that and moved beyond the first town, I couldn't put the game down. It's by far the most fun I've had in years for any type of single player shooter. I've really been looking forward to replaying it on hard mode, which I think I'll do this coming holiday weekend. You should try it again, the game has so much going for it! :)

And to the question about split screen online play, from what I can gather the game doesn't support it. The box states that MoH2 supports 4 players on the back, but I can't get the game to recognize more than one Wiimote when it's on, it automatically disables any other Wiimotes. Multiplayer brought me directly to EA's online log in, where I created my account. From what I can tell this game doesn't even support split screen play, which is a first in my case for a console FPS.

Oneness,
I would buy MoH2 mainly for multiplayer, but the campaign mode so far is fun and has consumed most of my day. I have my usual console gripes about it, but not enough to push me away. The ally soldiers are somewhat retarded, OK very retarded, especially when they get into a fire fights with the German troops. It's like watching a GI Joe cartoon, no one ever seems to get hit for the amount of fire and they're often only about 2 inches away from each other. On hero mode the enemies go from mediocre console difficulty to super soldiers. I've been killed by guys I couldn't see without a sniper scope. But the game is typical FPS addicting, it's by no means the best FPS I've played and it can use some improvements all around, but I'm still happy with the purchase. It's fun enough that I put Super Mario Galaxy aside. :)

And on the Prime thing, I really enjoyed that game. I played the first one on the Cube, so was looking forward to this release. It takes some time to get into and it's not like this game or RE:4, where you focus on straight forward objectives and who to kill next -- RE:4 excelled in this area. Anyway, Prime is more exploratory, so if an enemy is hard to kill, generally a quick scan reveals their weakness for a quick kill. It's basically a 3D update of the old 2D platformers -- which if you liked I would give it a second go, so really quite different from MoH2 or any other FPS

And back to the visuals, the game still has its high points, but I'm running into lots of PSP ported elements. I don't mind it, since as mentioned things are pretty clear overall and this is only their second Wii attempt, so I'm not going to be overly critical. So don't be surprised when you run into trucks that aren't even up to a PS2's standards. I guess this is what comes of a game that has its roots on the PSP, but at least unlike the awful WiiS2 ports, they did make a good effort to get this looking better on a Wii.

Anyway, if you're in the itch for a Wii FPS, this is my favorite so far, but I can only hope for CounterStrike level of gunplay, or a true Wii refined CoD game in the future.

<]=)

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
From what I can tell this game doesn't even support split screen play, which is a first in my case for a console FPS.

Wait wait, so if I get this game I can't play it with 3 friends in the same room? The only multiplayer is online multiplayer? That can't be right, that would be idiot. Please tell me that's not the case. If I can't play this with friends in the same room, no way am I getting it.

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Wait wait, so if I get this game I can't play it with 3 friends in the same room? The only multiplayer is online multiplayer? That can't be right, that would be idiot. Please tell me that's not the case. If I can't play this with friends in the same room, no way am I getting it.
Especially on a console which is geared towards more than one man game sessions...

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
It doesn't. My only though is that since this was initially from the PSP, there would have been no need for it on that system. I would have thought that at least the arcade mode supports more than one player, but I can't get other Wiimotes to stay active. I can't figure out why the game states 4 players on the back.

Anyways, still fun. :)

ToysRus has a buy 2 get one free on all Wii games right now. WTF! I would have held off on Zak & Wiki an MoH2 until today and if my friend hadn't got RE:U, picked that up also. Bleh.

<]=)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.