Resolved Media Buttons not working IN iTunes

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by GigaWarTrex, Apr 17, 2019.

1. GigaWarTrex, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

GigaWarTrex macrumors newbie

GigaWarTrex

SOLUTION: The media keys IN iTunes are for some odd reason (or maybe a bug) internet bound. No internet means they don't work in iTunes but just fine for every other Media Player etc. I will contact Apple and ask if I have the time in the near future. If something substantial is said I will update this post.

Hi everybody,

so I ran into this problem on a car trip today but I can track it back to 2 scenarios that probably caused it. More about that later.

Since macOS (High) Sierra there were a few problems with the media keys... and they are pretty popular as I found out on Google.
    Whatever, from time to time my media keys would not work anymore.
    Steps like
    -NVRAM/PRAM reset
    -SMC reset
    -Safe Boot Mode for fixing
    -Resetting Keyboard shortcuts
    -Checking and unchecking how function keys are used etc.
    worked for me at that time, but not anymore.

When l'm at my desktop and press the >= (Play) key, iTunes opens up normally. But after that not one key, be it << (Previous), >= (Play) or >> (Next) works anymore. I can simply not use them.
    BUT, if I use VLC or MediaPlayer to play a movie or music file I can use my media keys just fine to control them (VLC / MP) even if thy are in the background.
    I think this is normal macOS behavior to bind the last used media program to the media keys.
    So, I confirmed that my media buttons are not broken, I tried many things I knew or Google told me and am now at the point where I believe that it might be a serious OS problem that I can only fix with a fresh installation of macOS :(
    I hope someone in this forum maybe knows a fix to my problem.

Some other stuff I noticed:
    In the Notification Center a Widget named "Now playing" exists. If I press it's play button it also opens iTunes but can't do any more. If I start playing a song in iTunes it also doesn't show me this in the widget. This let's me believe it may be a more serious software problem.

Now about what I think maybe caused the Problem:
    1) I updated to the newest macOS Mojave 10.14.4 . Before this I did not have any problems. I always am sure to have the newest stable software releases. So it wasn't a huge software jump that maybe could have caused a problem.
    2) A few days ago I connected a bluetooth Keyboard to my MacBook. It was a Mouse + Keyboard combo that connected to a USB antenna that I plugged into my MBP. During the setup of the keyboard Layout (where you have to press a few buttons so Mac can identify the Layout) there was a weird glitch and the setup failed... did not try it again after that.

Every help is much appreciated, thanks to you all! Good day!

Specs:
    macOS Mojave 10.14.4
    iTunes 12.9.4.94
    MBP (Retina, 15", Mid 2015)
    - i7 QuadCore, 16GB RAM, 512SSD, AMD and Intel Graphics Card

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

The media keys don't work properly when you have an internet connection. Possibly also when iTunes isn't properly signed in. I haven't test the iTunes thing, but it IS internet-bound.

3. GigaWarTrex, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

GigaWarTrex thread starter macrumors newbie

GigaWarTrex

THAT could really be a thing! At the moment I am out of house and have absolutely no access to Internet (on my MBP). Will test and reply when I am back at home. Thanks a lot.

EDIT / SOLUTION: Thank you VERY MUCH good sir! This exact thing was the problem. I just had a few spare minutes and hooked my MBP up to a Hotspot I hosted with my iPhone. I can now control iTunes normally again (even if it is in the background). If I cut the Hotspot this functionality immediately goes away :mad: .
    Very very stupid feature / bug imo but at least I now know that software wise everything is working "normally".
    Good day y'all!

4. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

You’re welcome. I’m not crazy about the way it works either.