Mediocre upgrade

Discussion in 'iPad' started by matttye, Mar 7, 2012.

1. matttye macrumors 601

In my opinion this is a mediocre upgrade. I say this because there's nothing wrong with the screen on the current iPad, and it's also fast enough for those of us who don't play CPU intensive games.

4G is not out yet in the uk, so that's not really a benefit.

And the iPad is really only useful, IMO, for quick snaps, so doesn't need a decent camera.

I'm so pleased I'm not even tempted to fork out for a new device already. I will be happy with my iPad 2 until the next one comes along :D

Anyone else feel the same?

In fact, the device I was more excited about is the new apple tv! I've only held off so far because it didn't support 1080p. I'll be buying the new one very soon :D

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Genuine question, what would make it a 'worthy' upgrade in your opinion, realistically? I'm happy with everything we got today and I'm having trouble seeing what a lot of people were expecting...

3. homeboy macrumors 6502

^^
    Once you see the new iPad and experience the graphics it can output, you'll feel the heat. It will be like comparing the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 4. The screen is a MASSIVE upgrade that's unprecedented. The pixel count dwarfs pretty much every consumer screen on the market.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

Yay! The floodgates have opened for the "I don't see a clear benefit for my needs so it's an objective failure" threads.

5. GKDAIR macrumors regular

The screen is really the only reason I could consider updating. Everything else today was "meh"

6. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

There's nothing wrong with the upgrades per se, just not enough to make me upgrade. None of the upgrades are going to substantially change the experience for me.

A worthy upgrade for me would be a memory card expension slot (either sd or micro sd), NFC, Siri.

I'm not going to go and look at the new iPad. Looking at the new iPad will potentially make me want it. I'm happy with the current screen, but if I see a much improved one I'm sure I'll be tempted. Ignorance is bliss :p

----------

Not exactly.. I can see why a lot of people would like the upgrades, they're just not important to me.

7. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I hate to say it but I think you're going to be waiting a long while for an sd expansion slot on an iPad. NFC- on an iPad? I don't see the use. iPhone I get, for sure, but not really for the iPad. Yes, Siri would have been nice but I'm positive that could be addressed with a software update.

Anyways, the iPad 2 is still one hell of a device so as long as you're happy with it; that's really all that matters!

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

iPad 2's resolution is not bad, but defenitely not as good as the new iPad's.
    Not only, it's far better. That means you won't strain your eyes as much as now when using it.
    That is by itself a big improvement.

There was nothing wrong with the 3GS until the iPhone 4 came out with its incredible Retina display.

:rolleyes:

9. homeboy macrumors 6502

You nailed it. Whenever I switch my eyes to an iPhone 4 versus an iPad, my eye instantly relax. Something happens to them.

10. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

This was a pretty good upgrade in my opinion. However, I'll probably stick with my original iPad w/3G ($729) for another year.

The screen resolution? Not a lot of apps are supporting it yet. Maybe there will be a killer-app that uses this resolution in the next 6 months or so, and I'll be more inclined to get it. I can see this as a must-have that I'll be waiting for until March 2013, with my original iPad hobbling along from like October 2012 on.

4G? Would be nice. It's the same price as 3G month-to-month, but not $729 nice. If money were no object, I'd get the new iPad for the 4G.

I don't see a use for a camera on my iPad, so I don't care about that.

Siri? Might be nice. I only have an iPhone 4, not the 4S, so I've never experienced Siri.

Faster processor and more ram? Would definitely be a GOOD thing. My iPad won't run certain large applications at the same time, as they are memory hogs. I need to kill one to open another. I wouldn't have this same issue on a new iPad. THIS is a compelling reason to upgrade. I've learned to live with it so far, and as long as I can work with this issue, I don't have to upgrade to the new iPad.

Just my 2 cents.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I have to agree that it's quite a disappointing upgrade. When I use my iPad 2 rather than my iPhone 4 I don't find myself thinking if only I had a better screen resolution. It would be nice but not worth another big purchase. I'm most disappointed they didn't increase the memory size.

12. Cobster macrumors member

Some people are nevet satisfied...get over it... If you are happy with the device you have, dont upgrade... But to call The new iPad a minor upgrade is just wrong... - if I were paying for my next iPad myself I would stick to my iPad 2 32wifi - but I'm not..so I'll look forward to an upgrade...

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm sorry, but 1024x768 is crap. Apple worked wonders with that resolution on the iPad 1/2, but that's XGA. It was hot in the 90's. Now, not so much, even in a 9.7" tablet.

I would have preferred to see a 1920x1080, but I understand Apple's need to go Apple's way. They are pushing the envelope, and 2048x1536 on a 9.7" display IS revolutionary.

Steve would be proud.

14. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

If they could've added wifi ac and siri with the retina display I would be very tempted but as is it's just a very nice screen update and the iPad 2 has a great screen on it... personally I don't see a reason for one to upgrade to the new one or at the price of the refurbish iPad 2. Also, it will be interesting how the new ApplTV will handle 1080P and how the movies in the cloud will work.

15. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I won't be trading in my iPad 2 but that doesn't mean it's a "mediocre upgrade," imo.

It's pretty clear that most of the various changes/enhancements/etc are built around a single theme--improving the iPad as a multimedia device. I have little use for the eye candy the Retina Display offers, certainly not enough to pay several hundred dollars for it. But those who want to use the iPad as a photo and video editing device will find some value in it.

The 4G/LTE is a welcome upgrade for those who don't already have it. With a mobile hotspot from Verizon I've been using it for nearly a year. But the excitement may pale a bit if users try to stream a lot of HD content and see how fast they can use up five gigabytes of downloaded data and how expensive it can be to watch a movie.

For gamers the faster processor and better graphics is a plus. I'm not in that demographic but for those that are and have generous parents, I can understand the appeal.

The folks that limit themselves to purchasing every other generation of devices will find it a significant step forward. For me, the iPad 2 does what I need it to do and if I want to look at a beautiful woman I'll check out my wife.

16. Techwriter macrumors regular

Whether you purchase or upgrade is based on your needs. If you're planning to read ebooks or read Web pages with small text, a Retina display is not a minor upgrade. It just depends on what you need the device to do. I want it as an ebook reader, so Retina has been on my wish list for a long time. This will be my first iPad and I can't wait.

17. dgreene196 macrumors member

We'll see how much better the screen looks in person. I'm hopeful it will be a substantial difference (and I preordered based on that hope), but we'll see.

As for the original poster, the Retina Display on the iPhone 4 completely changed how I used that device. With my iPhone 3G, I used the internet when I had to, but, for me, zooming in and out to read text and navigate the page was a bit of a pain. The Retina Display allowed me to read much smaller text, making the internet far more useful on my smartphone than it had been previously.

The Retina Display on the new iPad could dramatically change the ways in which I use it. Even better looking text and graphics? Yes, please. Even better rendering of PDF files and magazines? I'd love it. Higher resolution games? Appreciated, but not super-high on my list of wants. 1080p video? Sure, why not!

Higher resolution screen makes everything better, so long as the GPUs can handle it, giving the same overall feel as the iPad 2. I suspect they can, or Apple wouldn't have released the product.

18. Neous macrumors member

Neous

I don't feel the same
    I'm upgrading from an iPad1.
    I like showing photographs, sketching, "painting" and mostly reading so the resolution for me will be worth the cost of ownership

19. PilotWoo macrumors regular

The retina display alone means it isn't mediocre. Although I have to admit, the most interesting thing in todays presentation was iPhoto for iOS!

20. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

NFC is not only for mobile payments, you can also hold it up to NFC-embedded posters to load up websites and things like that. It can also be used as an additional way for two i devices to communicate.

The uses are endless.

Ive never looked at an iPhone 4 in the flesh because non-retina screens look perfectly clear to me. :confused:

I can read books perfectly well on my extremely low res galaxy s2.

It is a minor upgrade for me. I'm not really a heavy gamer so the improved performance and graphics is not a biggy for me.

Just posting my opinion on a discussion forum, no need to get so defensive :)

21. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

[​IMG]
    And yes, I'm being completely facetious.

22. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

I show and take lots of photos on my iPad too, but the better screen isn't worth the cost of selling this iPad and paying the difference.

The upgrades would slightly benefit me but not enough to warrant an upgrade.

23. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I think the only thing I would have liked to see would be a higher resolution touch input sensor. This would give the ability to truly draw and having a thinner more accurate styli, I think companies like TenOne have already solved the pressure sensitivity since they announced a bluetooth connected pressure sensitive stylus. But it will be useless IMO if we are still limited by the 72dpi of the ipad2 touch sensor.

On the same topic I'm curious about the new Sketchbook they say will draw independent of resolution, not sure what that means but it kind of sounds like marketing speak for being stuck with the old 72dpi input.

Input overall is still one of the final frontiers of our "PC Less" world that Apple is advocating. You can tell that they want to advance it by adding voice dictation, I wouldn't be surprised if they one upped Siri and gave us some form of voice control for the ipad in a future release.

24. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

Nope.

/thread

25. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

OK, I can sort of understand this feeling.

It's a quadruple-resolution iPad 2 with a significantly better camera and voice dictation. The internal changes seem to just about match the increased workload of that crazy screen.

OTOH, none of you have actually seen that screen in person. I'm betting it's worth the upgrade. You'll definitely notice the increased text clarity, and the level of texture detail in games I'm sure will be just staggering.

As for app support, it'll come and quickly. Developers and designers are used to this workflow from the iPhone, and some clever developers may have even drawn their iPad graphics at 2x to begin with just in case. Only raster graphics need to be updated; vector graphics, dynamically-drawn graphics, 3D models, etc should scale up just fine.