Meebo IM Client for iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MacRumors, Aug 15, 2007.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meebo has launched their web-based instant messaging client for the iPhone tonight. iPhone users can simply browse to Meebo.com and will automatically be directed to the iPhone-formatted site.

The instant messaging client appears to work very well on the iPhone interface.

Web-based instant messaging clients have gained a lot of interest due to the iPhone's lack of a native instant messaging client. Another notable web IM client comes from Mundo.com at http://iphone.mundu.com which is also well optimized for the iPhone.

Article Link

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

impressive. the interface is a lot cleaner than the beejive client. it's nice; i like it.

3. specops macrumors regular

agreed, this app just feels and looks like the best atm. Check this out guys its very nice. Only thing it needs is a couple more sorting list options.

4. TwoSyllables macrumors newbie

This is a good week for us iPhone users. Yesterday Facebook, today Meebo. Tomorrow ringtones for PPC Macs?

I have to admit, in the past few years I've all but lost the desire to IM, but it's definitely still nice to see it availible for the iPhone. I'm especially glad it's 3rd party so it won't use up my txt messages.

5. iwitch macrumors newbie

I am so happy. :D I have been waiting with baited breath...This is great! I love that I still have chat logs (which come in handy if there's a network interruption or a problem) and I think moving the active conversations to the top was a great idea. Yay Meebo!

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

nice work. but it'd still be nice to see a dedicated app for it.

7. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Anyone use this much? How does battery life compare. Jivetalk drank my battery like free beer at last call, probably due to the constant polling.

8. CMTobin macrumors newbie

What I don't like...

First off... I think that this looks absolutely great... Really! What I hate is that, unless you're on wifi you wont be receiving any calls, texts or voicemails while surfing the web or checking for new mail...

Thus, I've changed my mail so that it only checks manually, and I really only want to use this app when I'm on wifi. ERR

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'll have to check this out, but as it is, JiveTalk is working perfectly well for me, and, like others, I would MUCH prefer an actual dedicated app.

10. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

i go to the site, log in, looks great. I try to message someone and it shut the safari down. I have tried it with wifi on and with it off. Still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

11. desiceltic24 macrumors newbie

Meebo

So does Meebo for the iphone utilize your text messages?? I only have 200 SMS so I dont want to waste them on IM.

12. mergedown macrumors member

Well done, but how do I log in to multiple accounts at once? Am I missing something?

Definitely well done, looks intentional, functions well. If I can find out an answer to my above concern, so long Beejive and Mundu.

13. tbealmear macrumors regular

if you want to log into multiple accounts, you have to login using your meebo ID, then you can access multiple accounts.

14. esco macrumors 6502

esco

does it run in the background? Say I were to press the home button out of safari, make a couple calls, listen to my ipod, etc. could I go back to safari and still have had it running that entire time for others to send messages?

15. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It does not count against your text message allotment.

arn

16. mergedown macrumors member

Like the other clients out there, it stays connected pretty well. Yes, you can exit and do other things and it stays logged in, as long as you don't lose your connection.

I know I could open 2 windows and log in to my Yahoo and AIM accounts, but the others allow you to be logged into different messengers at once (i.e. - trillian).

That's a major feature that is lacking. It also needs the ability to "add friends".

17. esco macrumors 6502

esco

awesome, thanks for the info

18. iwitch macrumors newbie

You need a Meebo ID to log into all of the IM programs at once.

19. bdj21ya macrumors 6502a

bdj21ya

So, I tried this out, this was the first time an IM client has actually worked for me. Very exciting.

EDIT: Sorry, I mean a web based IM client on the iPhone of course.

20. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

any chance for some screenshots for those who aren't lucky to have an iphone

21. Espo macrumors 6502

has anyone used flickIM? Its reliable. I tried meebo but it didny show my whole buddy list. However flickim doesnt show away messages. Just a suggestion.

22. mergedown macrumors member

Ahhhh, very nice. Thank you!!!!

Any wy to "END" a conversation? Not major, but it'd be nice to have it go away.

It is definitely the best one yet. Still waiting on a native iChat app though!

23. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

What happens with these web-based IM apps when someone else adds you to their buddylist, does it tell you (like MSN messenger on WM does)?

24. fozo macrumors member

First off, that is an incredible work done from Meebo.
    Second, anyone can confirm that it will not use up your 200 SMS limited?
    Third, can you register Meebo account from your desktop browser or will it have to be different Meebo account?

25. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

No, it won't use up any SMS as it's used in Safari over EDGE or WiFi.

You can use your usual desktop Meebo account on the iPhone.