Meet Blackberry's Playbook...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by samcraig, Sep 27, 2010.

1. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Looks like a decent idea, especially how it (according to rumor) uses a BlackBerry owner's existing data plan.

Will probably sell very well to the BlackBerry business-class user.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Looks ok. That's how everything starts out looking. However, at this point, all RIM did was play me-too in this game.

Multitasking is coming as well to the iPad, so I wouldn't say it's a wow feature at this point. More like a temporary advantage. As per the Enterprise, yes I do accept, they have an obvious advantage there.

However, a dual core CPU, and 1GB of RAM, yet no mention of the battery. I wonder...

Flash 10.1, ok, this is just a punch against Apple's flash restrictions. That's fine, as we know it is pretty much proven, having flash run is a battery drainer on ANY device. Also, performance is not what it is meant for. Front facing camera and the rear view camera. Good thing to have on a 1st Gen device, I give them props for that.

HDMI, ok, way too much I'd say. But meh, as a bragging right point granted.

No word on capacity nor on price. The only bad thing about this is the fact that RIM is not on with 3G models, they going to put them out later. If they really want to go against the iPad, that's where you fight it. However, it gets to connect with your BlackBerry's data plan. This a huge one. Apple should really talk to AT&T about this and start making iPads tether. Seriously, many people pay more monthly on the iPhone plans if they do do this. This is all about giving people options.

3. Smtevo macrumors 6502

Is this thing even real? It says it comes out 4-6 months.

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

iOS 4 style "multitasking" isn't true multitasking.

Even the iPad didn't have a 3G model at release and AT&T stated that only 500k devices out of how many millions sold have even bothered to use it.
    At lest you can tether the Playbook to a BB.
    You can't tether an iPad to any phone without a jailbreak.

5. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Playbook looks like a good device to me. Better than I expected anyway.

6. Wubby macrumors newbie

Dual-core processor and 1GB RAM? Hmm would Apple dare release the iPad 2 with lesser specs now? I had figured the iPad 2 would have a slight bump in proc speed (1.2GHz or so) and a bump to 512MB RAM but if they leave it at that it gives Blackberry a good marketing point.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. Average Joe, doesn't notice the difference. So this point is moot.

2. You'd realize if you read my post I do mention that as a shortcoming of the iPad and something Apple should really fix.

3. RIM promises to release 3G/4G models, where as Apple had to hold off production because of high demand. Very different things.

8. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Actually looks good.

But it doesn't have the Apple App. store ...Blackberry App World is terrible in comparison.

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

i agree with jav6454. No mention of battery life has me severely worried for them. One of the iPad's greatest features is it's battery life.

Honestly, the iPad is plenty fast enough for me. I don't need multi-core at this stage right now.

10. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

No one cares about specs. If RIM wants to market to the fraction of a percent of potential buyers who know the difference between a cortex a8 and a9 (for example) then they will flop spectacularly.

11. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Why do I get the feeling that this thing won't be that smooth in real life. Looks nice and appears to have a very good integration with the blackberry phones. Will make a great companion for current blackberry users me thinks.

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't understand why people so scream about the hardware specs...

Every hardware will get outdated as soon as it comes out, period.

What good is the 1GHZ dual processor and 1GB ram without good apps and good battery life?

Do we know price? Nope
    Do we know how many apps they will have? Nope

Is it possible that this thing will cost more than iPads? Yea... probably. It is for business users.

True multi-tasking? Please... save me from those craps. You really think Tablet can replace laptop for good right now? No...
    I rather have a simple multi-tasking that will save my battery.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Forgot to mention. Dual-core, seriously? These tablets are not for running Crysis or Folding@Home.

No app needs dual core right now.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

This thing is going to cost your soul....
    Dual core, 1GB ram on 3G or 4G Tablet?

This thing could break the price of 999 dollars.

15. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Reported OP for linking to a ZD Net article. If it's not against the forum rules, it should be... :p

Like he said, not much info there.

It's widescreen, my prediction: A few days after it is released there will be a 20 page thread on Blackberry Rumors about how the Playbook is heavy and awkward to hold.

16. saberahul macrumors 68040

Honestly, the device looks very promising and very nice. As said earlier, Hardware will always get upgraded from time to time in everything; however, I truly care about the software. If the OS presented on the Playbook is like the OS on my BlackBerry Storm 2, then I will never purchase that product. The phone cannot even make calls all the time as the screen just dies due to lack of memory issues - clearly bad programming.

17. prot0type macrumors regular

Depending on the price and software, I might bite.

Cant wait to give it a trial run.

18. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

No single app, but the point of this thing is multitasking.

19. jsh macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure I saw one here in Waterloo last Friday. Not 100% though since I didn't get a good look at it up close, but I am almost positive it was the Playbook.

20. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

You're right - for a mobile device running on a battery, it's better.

21. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Vapourware.

Just chucking some petrol on the flames :D

22. Savor Suspended

Savor

Looks cool. RiM actually had the decency to put two cameras on their first tablet when Apple couldn't even add one.

Here is some comments from insecure Apple fanboys about this -

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20017625-260.html

You know Apple may not have invented the MP3 player or the online music store or the cell phone, nor the tablet PC, but when they do enter a market they know how to do it right and all the followers come out of the wood works to basically copy what Apple did. So pathetically sad. 7 inch tablet = useless

Looks like a complete ripoff of an ipad, this is stupid, no one is going to beat the ipad.

Wow... with those awesome specs I'll bet you'll get at least a half-hour out of the battery in there! Once that awesome dual core processor, HD playback and Flash start sucking up that juice. And, yeah, released just in time for iPad v2.0 to crush it.

Presenter...very boring

^^ As if Uncle Stevie and his magical words needs to show this kid the way.

*snickers*

It is why I never take this messageboard seriously. So many Apple fanboys have their tongue stuck under Jobs' nuts for so long that they forgot there might be better products out there. Apple fans' way of living under a rock. So much arrogance and denial. It is like the iPods. They are highly OVERRATED compared to mp3 players from Cowon. Their players actually can play multiple video conversions and have great battery life. Anythingbutipod.com, check it out for once. You might learn something new.

At least I know how to separate my love for the iPhone vs my bitterness toward Apple and Steve Jobs.

23. timerollson macrumors 65816

Is there video of this actually in use? Because the whole minority report-esque video that RIM released doesn't show....

This could be another Blackberry Torch (same approach). :rolleyes:

24. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I can't watch the videos because I forgot my headphones so forgive me if this is answered in the video.

Does it say that it can tether to any blackberry device? Without it costing extra? I only ask because you can get a blackberry curve from virgin mobile with unlimited data for $35 a month. If you can tether that...that would be pretty hot.