Meet during keynote

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rjflyn, Jun 1, 2008.

1. rjflyn macrumors regular

So its T minus a week or so. Anyone planning to spend the day at an Apple or ATT store during the keynote.

I myself have Orlando and Tampa close by and have the day off.

Rj

2. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

I've got 3 exams this week and then im done for summer!!!

Anyway i'm free from 12.01pm on Thursday for 4 months and i have nothing better to do so i could potentially (highly unlikely) sit outside the Apple Regent Street Store (10min walk away) from thursday...

anyone planning on queuing/loitering around on the 9th? i will be...

3. meagain macrumors 68030

No way. I'll be following any live blogging from the event.

4. isimon1207 macrumors member

Why? Will they be airing it live in the store?

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm game; San Francisco Apple Store Downtown Near Market, (not the Chestnut Store). Since I'm not attending the WWDC, even though it's in my stomping grounds, and tickets have been sold out for weeks, I'm still considering attending, hoping for CL tickets. :(

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

The closest Apple Store to me is five hours!! It sucks living in WV! :(

7. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

people are paying $1600 on CL for WWDC tickets, forget that. I would like to go but didn't plan it out before, oh well.

8. rjflyn thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I will have my Macbook with me if I go. But if they put those bad boys on sale "starting now" the race to the Apple Store will be on. I can imagine that ATT won't have them day one or will they. There in is the crap shoot, as an ATT store is about 5 mins away vs 45 mins for the Apple Store. Add that they are going fly out the door, so to get one one probably better be there.

Rj

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's about what I paid for MWSF '08, Dang, that's (3) v2 iPhones; what was I thinking? :eek::p

10. meagain macrumors 68030

Let's assume the keynote will end a few hours after the stores open. Are they really going to start selling a new product in mid-day? Wouldn't they wait till the next day? Minimally to allow lines to build, etc? Actually, I personally don't see this being launched immediately. maybe a week later. That's what I would do.... have the media talking about it ad nauseum to build more interest - up to even MORE of a fever pitch...

But what historically has happened in this regard with selling a newly announced item? Is it possible they might sell it the day of keynote/announcement mid-day?

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

The vast majority of the time that new products are released, they're not available five seconds after steve shows its picture. The closest comparison, I guess, would be the release of new iPods. They're just shipping at the time that they're announced, and available a few days later. But if this is a completely new phone, it will need to pass certification and whatnot before you can actually buy it. So you'd essentially be sitting outside of a store for a few hours for no reason...

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

They were selling from Apple for $1595 so there is no premium attached to that price.

13. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Were you not around when the first iphone went on sale? The AT&T stores were shut down at 4:30pm and then reopened at 6pm. During that time the stores were scheduled to receive their stock of the phones, not before.

14. Bob Loblaw macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

If I don't have to work I'll probably take my laptop to somewhere with free WiFi near the AT&T store, which is about 15 minutes away from my house, and follow live blogging. Closest Apple store is 2 hours away.

15. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

do you think it will go on sale Monday the 9th? i have two apple stores near me, one is 3 minutes away.

16. neven macrumors 6502a

I'll bet money that the new iPhone doesn't go on sale June 9.

Also, Apple store employees will be doing the same thing you'll be doing - checking apple.com around the time of the keynote to see what's new. That's if they're proper Mac geeks, not just seasonal help. :)

Don't expect the store to have any news.

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I doubt it. The release will probably be at least one week after the announcement, allowing for plenty of pre-release hype.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'll be at work, but be sure I'll be checking with the "old" EGDE iPhone :p

19. rjflyn thread starter macrumors regular

How much more pre-release hype do they need. As far as FCC approval goes, if they are using a already in use chip, they may not need it. Personally I have the time, a Macbook and nothing to lose other than $$ that I will spend on said iPhone. So why not, I live in the EST so it will be lunch time here, the store either one is in a mall.

Rj

20. STC macrumors 6502a

This store is 2 blocks from my office. I'll be stopping by around lunch.

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sounds good; normally I would go to the Emeryville, CA store, but I like the BART ride to the City and the Apple Store is just around the corner from the BART stop at Montgomery. Hope to see you there. :cool:

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What pre-release hype? Where are the news stories? The overnight lines? ...This is nothing so far.

23. davidlw macrumors 6502a

24. rjflyn thread starter macrumors regular

What rock have you been under. its all over the net. Every where one turns its iphone this or iphone that. I'm a relative noob and I can't get away from it. save for the lines. engadget.com, gizmodo.com, wsj.com, usatoday.com all have had something in the last several days.

RJ

25. aethelbert macrumors 601

noon

Ummm... not really. People that are reading about the iPhone can expect to find stuff about it, but other than that, it's not really in the media. Maybe you should stop reading iPhone forums? This (iPhone section of macrumors) is the only place that I really find stuff, then again, I'm not looking for iPhone stuff anywhere else.

Once it's announced, the entire media will be all over it. Not just tech/iPhone forums and blogs.