Memorable Gift

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chochoice, Nov 11, 2015.

1. chochoice, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

chochoice macrumors member

chochoice

Thanksgiving is coming, you know what that means? Black Friday.

It is time for me to start planning/saving for the shopping list. Can anyone share some stories of their most memorable presents whether they gave or received? I really need some gift ideas

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I love Thanksgiving and the anticipation of standing on some long ass line with other idiots buying some Chinese made crap at not so really good prices. American traditions are the best.

3. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

@chochoice - This idea probably isn't memorable in a heartwarming way like you might intend, but I recently bought a few Sonos products and like them very much. The Play1 (in the U.S.) are about $199 each. Their other products go up from there.

Also, I'm available to be a friend and get on your shopping list. o_O

4. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

If by memorable you mean they'll last a lifetime some examples I've given and receive include:

Decent Swiss watches (Tag, Omega, Rolex etc depending on budget), been given and gave many over the years.

Fountain Pens. Especially to a College/University student. That lasts right through one's career. Some examples I have are Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 149, Graf von Faber Castell Classic Anello Ebony etc.

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Two gifts I easily recall giving, because of the ordeal I had to endure in obtaining those gifts.

1996 - Tickle Me Elmo. I remember 'rasslin' a 60 year old grandmother for the last one in the shop.:eek: Tap out, Granny. Tap out.:p:D:D

1983 - Cabbage Patch Kids. I staved off a mob of angry mothers while my partner made off with two Cabbage Patch Kids (Andy and Sue). We decided that I would be the distraction since I was younger and would heal faster.o_O

I've pretty much given up on fighting the masses during Black Friday. I've become a Roger Murtaugh: "I'm too old for this s---.";)

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Bought my wife a Brighton handbag a few years ago. I thought it was pretty expensive and overrated for a handbag (I'm not really a handbag guy), but she absolutely loves it, and it's still her everyday carry. Makes it all worthwhile as far as I'm concerned.

7. Scepticalscribe, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is a lovely story - and one that must be a source of quiet pleasure and pride when recalled. It is nice to get a present right. Anyway, I hope that she gets many more years of pleasure (and use) from the bag.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's not a true American Thanksgiving unless you get to participate in a Black Friday stampede. You can even turn it into a game based off how badly you injure other people. 5 points for broken limbs. 10 points for traumatic brain injury. 20 for spinal injury. Automatic win if you kill someone.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm with you on this. Manufactured happiness and hysteria...

And this cornucopia of delights is one I would be more than happy to give a miss to, as well…..

10. Savor Suspended

Savor

A real-life Jingle All The Way (1996) experience. Cabbage Patch Kids and Tickle Me Elmo? Those were the days. Remember Furby? I hated those little *beep*. Wouldn't shut up.

A much scarier experience were for launch day PS3's in 2006. And the majority of the buyers lining up were planning to sell it on eBay after seeing how crazy Xbox 360's went for the year prior. People were literally fighting and getting killed for them.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A surreal version of predatory capitalism at its lunatic worst.

To my mind, (but, then, I tend to value time over money), to queue for an age for something that I, myself, would like is borderline insanity and I would have a difficult time justifying it to myself.

To queue for an age in order to obtain an item merely to make what you hope is a financial killing by immediately selling it is a mental landscape I cannot begin to comprehend.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

What's your budget? One of my most treasured gifts is a quality pen, engraved with my title. Can be well done from anywhere from ~$30 to thousands depending on the writing instrument of choice.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, in truth, I love beautiful pens, too, but they are the sort of gift that would be best appreciated by someone who actually writes quite a bit.

14. Huntn, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm really hoping I can purchase an Xbox One (a gift) on Black Friday at Best Buy for $299 without having to stand in line at 5am.

Update: Found a better deal at Target, $299 + $60 gift certificate. Now if I can just order this online... Btw, my mistake, sales start on Thursday at 6pm.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My favorite pen is the Pilot G2, blue ink. :D ;)

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

The G2 is my preferred all around pen, especially back in college. I prefer black ink, usually .7mm.

Alternatively the Zebra g-301 if I want to use something a little more stylish but not care if it gets lost. They run out of ink pretty quickly though. If I need to use ballpoint ink, then the F-301 is my choice.

17. Zenithal, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

Zenithal macrumors 68040

To me, memorable gifts are something true and unique. Thoughtful gifts that took time and consideration to track down. Electronics don't really count as memorable because they'll last a few years to a decade and then die. One of the best gifts I've ever received was a signed first edition many eons ago. It's worth quite a bit now and is insured and also protected. I haven't had a lot of time to read in recent years and don't get to read more than 30 minutes a week now it seems, but I've always loved books. Not the biggest fan of reading, but I loved books of specific genres. I'm not sure that makes any sense. Ironically, one of the best gifts to myself was a Kindle. Cheaper prices than paperback or hardcover, and not susceptible to damage, like baby barf (RIP Bel Canto). The thing with Kindle is, that AZ is so committed to customer satisfaction, that they seem to replace broken units outside the warranty period. They make next to nothing on the Kindles, but they make a 30% cut on all books outside of their publishing houses.

In the first few years of our marriage, I did buy my wife some lovely hand crafted furniture like an armoire that has intricate carvings, inlays of special woods, etc. as a Christmas gift, IIRC. I can't really remember if it was for that or a Birthday gift, but it's still in use today and we'll probably pass it on when the time comes. The gentleman who built most of the stuff I bought was an Irish (I think) ex-pat who's long croaked since then.

I think a good fountain pen will be a great gift too. They will last indefinitely given enough care. Or a nice pocket watch or grandfather clock. Maybe I'm a little old fashioned when it comes to gifts.

Or deal with family being annoying.

18. chochoice thread starter macrumors member

chochoice

No one enjoys waiting in the cold for who knows how long, but the satisfaction of getting that 60% off of the flat screen tv will surely change anyone's mind.

For my budget wise, I have prepared about $500. The presents are for friends who I have known since middle school, which makes it a little harder since we have known each other for so long that we have practically given all the typical things. (friends include both genders)

I have given engraved Zippos to my guy friends before which seems to be a hit, but girls are much harder to please....

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Pens and watches are terrific gifts (well, I think so) but they are also the sort of gift that you want to be sure that the recipient will appreciate, enjoy and like.

Personally, I love books, but that doesn't mean I love all books. People will buy rubbish, and, unless they know me very well, and have made a serious study of my preferences, they tend to make a mess of the 'book as present' idea. That is why book tokens are an excellent gift for book lovers.

Engraved Zippos are a brilliant idea.

Re female friends, don't fall into the trap of thinking along gender lines, try to think of the person as an individual and what they might like.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You can't get no satisfaction.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/25/news/economy/black-friday-deals/

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

One other thing to bear in mind when choosing gifts is to remember that not all woman like stuff that is purely decorative. Speaking personally, I don't. It must have a function, and be able to be used for that function - so, something that is both beautiful and useful, might be worth bearing in mind.