memory DDR3 2011 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Juugo, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Juugo macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I wonder what the best memory for DDR3 2011 MacBook Pro?!
    I want for up to 8G, 16G is still too expensive = /

I had to see the OWC and it seemed to me as well .. but know nothing about no memories xD

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't really matter, just make sure it has a good warranty.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Almost anything will work, but if you're inexperienced you might as well just go to OWC, find your exact Mac, and buy their standard OWC RAM for it.

It's guaranteed to work in your exact model of Mac, comes with Mac-specific installation instructions, is high quality (haven't had a stick fail yet at home or work), and has a lifetime warranty that they will probably be around to honor. The prices aren't at all bad compared to any decent brand, either.

4. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had a stick from OWC fail the last year. They overnighted me a new stick. No hassles at all in resolving the issue.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MacBook Pro can only support up to 8GB of RAM. You wouldn't be able to go with 16GB even if it was super cheap.

6. JamesCotte macrumors newbie

JamesCotte

Try crucial, the ram is cheap and also it will allow you to find your exact model before take you to the ram

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

You're wrong.

Apple says it supports a maximum of 8GB, but OWC has tested and confirmed that it will actually support 8GB sticks for a total of 16GB, and they'll sell you a (very expensive) kit that they guarantee will work. It's actually been quite common for the last few years that Apple products support a higher max RAM than Apple lists; EveryMac lists the actual max RAM, as does OWC.

It's still worth it to some high-end professionals; digilloyd tested and saw a major speed boost for some photography processing tasks.