Memory Leak on App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kuntryklucker, Nov 8, 2013.

1. kuntryklucker macrumors member

kuntryklucker

Hi All,
    I am new to mac and new to the idea of apps in general. Anyway, purchased a new macbook pro. Downloaded some apps from the app store, one review said that a moon phase app has a memory leak. Can someone tell me what that actually means.

Also, in your experience, how safe it is to download apps from the app store on apples desktop? Just wondering, are they virus scanned or protected since it is from apple?

Thanks,
    :)

2. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Apple has a standard app store evaluation process that all apps have to pass. There shouldn't be an issue with getting funny things from the app store.

A memory leak is basically the idea that the longer you run an app the more memory is used up or "leaked out". Instead of using the normal 500 mb of RAM it slowly creeps toward using 1GB. If it feels like computer is getting a bit slow, save what you are doing and quit the app. Restart and it should be back to normal.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Technially, it means an app acquires memory and then fails to release it. Simply acquiring memory is NOT a leak; the leak is when the app fails to release the memory. I remember dealing with memory leaks before I retired and they could be a real pain to track down. The way it happened the app would just keep getting memory and failing to release it and eventually things would go south. Apps tend to get and release memory quite frequently depending on how they are designed.

4. kuntryklucker thread starter macrumors member

kuntryklucker

Ok, thank you for your description. I had no idea what a memory leak was. As long as it goes back to normal I am fine.

----------

Ok, so should I delete the app from my computer, or does it only "leak" memory when it is being used? I have a moon phase app, that a review said leaked memory. I did not see this review till after I downloaded it. Now I am a little concerned about the safety of my computer. What is the best thing to do in this situation? This is my first Mac and my first time playing with apps. I do not have an iPhone so my experience with apps is quite limited.

Thanks

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

A memory leak only occurs if the program in question is running.

/Jim

6. kuntryklucker thread starter macrumors member

kuntryklucker

Ok, thanks, that makes is much more clear.

7. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

Memory leak that matters...MS word

Going back to a recurrent problem I wave had with MS Word over several years, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1117271 , I now understand that in certain circumstances, e.g. large documents in track changes, MS Word has a serious case of memory leak. It hogs memory until it crashes unless I notice and close it first. Does anyone have an idea where the problem lies? I am guessing it is with the program and MS. MS didn't seem to know or care-- except that they gave me free copies of Windows and Office for Windows and told me just to run Word as a virtual machine. Has anyone else had this problem recently with Word.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You just need to be aware that the app takes more memory (unnecessarily) the longer it is running. If you quit the app and start it again, everything is fine again. It's just a slight inconvenience. If you keep it running longer and longer, eventually your Mac will not have enough RAM to handle it well, and at that point things will get slowish. You quit the app and start it again, and everything is fine again.

9. kuntryklucker thread starter macrumors member

kuntryklucker

Ok, thanks. To make sure I have this right, apps to require memory to run. If I find that may mac is running slow, quit the app, restart and things are fine. Thanks so much for clearing that up for a newly to mac's.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sometimes restarting the Mac itself will speed things up. I do this once in a while.