Memory on iMac (Lion)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hcpa, Jan 8, 2012.

1. hcpa macrumors newbie

I have noticed that after installing Lion the computer gets slower faster, also the video.

What software or what can I use to free the memory and make my iMac faster?

Thanks

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Restart the computer, when you hear the Start Up Tone hold down the Option key. Then select the Recovery Partition - Disk Utility and run Repair Disk Permissions at least 2x, while in DU run Repair Disk 2x as well. Then restart the computer in Safe Mode. To restart in SM when you hear the Start Up Tone hold down the Shift key until you see a progress bar. A Safe Mode restart will clear some caches. After the SM restart restart normally and test.

3. simsaladimbamba

Normally Mac OS X uses RAM efficiently.

What exact Mac do you have and how much RAM does it have?

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

4. hcpa thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 12GB,
    Will this affects video memory??

5. simsaladimbamba

No.

And what does Activity Monitor have to say, like asked above?

Also have a look at Activity Monitor and select All Processes and sort by Real Mem to see what the culprit may be.

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

He clearly didn't read your original post and that won't have any bearing not the graphics. As I mentioned in my first post you cannot upgrade or change the video card or it's memory in any fashion.

7. simsaladimbamba

I did read it, thus my reply to look at Activity Monitor, as that can help, to find a culprit. It helped me before, and according to some threads I have asked the same question before, others too.

Though I should have asked what is meant with "video", as that can mean almost everything, from playing a simple SD or HD video in a video player application or on YouTube via an unknown browser or the display of the whole OS and that it is not fluent or some other things.

It has happened before, and it will happen again.

And now I see why: This is a duplicate thread, were only half of the information is available. More information can be found in the duplicate (which I just found) here.

8. hcpa thread starter macrumors newbie

I attached the Activity monitor info

Attached Files:

9. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

12GB is a lot, that should be plenty for most applications.

What kinds of apps are you running, and how many at the same time ?

-t

10. hcpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Autocad, Safari, Photoshop. Mail.

11. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Your the user with the AutoCAD issue right? So if you close AutoCAD how is performance? I bet it is totally fine. You have plenty of memory. Lion uses more memory than 10.6 AND uses way more GPU power thanks to all the superfluous graphic elements in WindowServer. It runs hotter on low end graphic cards. You may want to be a little more specific with "slowing down". What does that mean exactly? Do videos start playing in slow motion? Does hard drive access speed suffer? Are your processors maxed out doing remedial tasks?

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Are you saying repair permissions twice? Why?

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The "Activity Monitor" screenshot showed that three quarters of the memory is "free". "Free" means it isn't used at all, your computer would run exactly the same if that memory wasn't there. In other words, freeing memory wouldn't make any difference whatsoever. In other words, you are looking for an answer to the wrong question.

To get the answer to your actual question, your description of your problems is so vague that it is completely useless. Describe _exactly_ what is actually your problem.

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Do not install any software that claims to free your memory. You will only make your computer slower. You need to be more specific about your problem. Gets slower faster and also the video isn't saying much.

15. hcpa thread starter macrumors newbie

When using autocad, sometimes the screen freezes, and the mouse movement gets really slow.