Memory Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by frocco, Dec 12, 2010.

1. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased the base model Mac Pro with 3gig.

Need help with purchasing and installing more memory.

I read that OWC memory is good.

Do I need to replace the current memory (lose the 3 gig)?

Where do I purchase more memory?

Thanks

Frank

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yes, generally you just replace the 3GB that came with the machine. That's what I did. I keep the memory in a safe place just in case the machine needs to be looked at by Apple....easier to have their memory in the machine if there is a problem....then they can't blame it on the 3rd party memory :D

I just picked up the 2.8 Quad refurb and put in 16GB of RAM (4 - 4GB DIMMS) from OWC here:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1333-memory

You can get either the 1066MHz or the 1333MHz memory. The faster won't do anything better in your Mac now, since it will run the memory at 1066MHz, but if you ever decided down the road to upgrade the CPU by yourself to the 6-core, it would then be able to use the faster memory.

Get as much memory as you can afford. Your Mac has 4 slots and can technically take 4 x 8GB DIMMS for a total of 32GB! Depending on what you are using your Mac for, you'll have to decide how much memory.

OWC is great for service and support if you should have any issues.

Good luck with the machine....I'm loving my 2010.....nice upgrade from the 2006. Now I just need to find someone to buy the 2006 from me :p

-Kevin

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You will need to replace the memory that is in it, as it is taking up three of the four slots. OWC is good, and reliable, so you can purchase from OWC at www.macsales.com .

4. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

Thank you

Wow! I can go to 12gig for not much more than apples 3gig

5. Vylen macrumors 65816

There's also www.transintl.com

I got my RAM from them.

Prices are somewhat similar to OWC... depending on what you're buying... I suppose one deciding factor would be shipping price too? heh

6. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Most sites I've read say that the performance benefit of triple channel is pretty small compared to getting more overall RAM. Other people might see it differently, but I would prefer a larger amount of RAM rather than whatever small gain I might get with triple channel.

You are correct in that if you want triple channel, you need to install in sets of 3. However, you have 4 slots available.

-Kevin

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957