Mercury browser is really nice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daiphoneboss, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Daiphoneboss macrumors member

Title says it all, optimized for new iPhones too, has a Adblocker extension and also has compression feature like Chrome. This app actually uses less memory then Safari, can confirm with a system monitoring app and can actually hold more tabs without reloading then Safari(apps stay open longer in background too)

2. RedGT macrumors member

RedGT

Been using this browser for a while, much prefer to safari and I like that you can change the size on the fonts. Throughly recommend this app.

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I agree. It's much better than Safari, with a smaller memory footprint.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Mercury is nice. My preference however, lies towards Dolphin.

5. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Mercury is my go to browser. Wish we could set a defauly browser. Safari would go into my junk folder. :eek:

7. Paco II macrumors 65816

Long time user and an app worth more than it costs. The desktop browser extension works great for cross platform bookmark syncing. Customizable search engines. 1Password integration. I could go on and on.

8. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I remember reading that Mercury writes to NAND when switching tabs rather than the RAM in order to circumvent the Safari refresh issues people have been having.

9. rugmankc, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015

rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Forgot that it was easy to sync my Bookmarks. And I forget I use it not Safari when talking about refreshing. I have no issues with it. :)

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You can if you jailbreak. ;)

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Yeah, I realize that haha. I;ve gona back and forth with considering a jailbreak. I think you even chimed in once or twice. My holdup is backups. I don't want to sacrifice security updates from Apple. At the same time I don't want to have to manually set up after every single jailbreak.

I am considering jailbreaking the ipad mini that we rarely ever use and then just doing a restore and using one of the cydia packages that promises to restore JB settings just to see how things go.

12. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

After years of Android Rom flashing I don't want to get back into the cons of doing that. This thing is perfect for me. :apple:

13. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Safari was once quite good, but now that Apple is cruising along on its past reputation Safari is but a wilted flower, best cast aside. Chrome, Dolphin, Mercury are far better.

Even if I click a link that by default opens in the buggy rough Safari I'll copy & paste into another browser to save time when Safari typically hangs crashes or performs other crazy stunts killing time and productivity.

Safari gives my very nice new iPhone 6 Plus the feeling of an old outdated slow iPhone 3. It takes the fun out having a new phone, not to mention the beast cost One Thousand dollars yet surfs the web like a piece of junk.

It's so bad I have to abandon my practice of suggesting iPhones to friends. Besides Apple neither cares nor needs customers or the revenue.

I must say I never expected this from Apple.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Oh my.... You are giving bad light on Apple in every single post you write.
    This thread is about Mercury, what's the reason for such a long post to depict a (very subjective) opinion on the iPhone 6+ ?
    Feeling of an old outdated show iPhone 3 ? Surf the web like a piece of junk ? A little exaggeration on your part, uh ? :rolleyes:
    Those are provocations, nothing more ...
    You don't like Apple. Fine. Tastes are subjective. Why do you feel the need to tell us in every post on an Apple enthusiastic forum?

15. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

But but.. no iCloud tabs and synced bookmarks!

16. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Mercury does have synced bookmarks, with the browser extension. But no iCloud tabs can be deal breaker.

17. Paco II macrumors 65816

The synced bookmarks are awesome. Cross platform and cross browser. It may not have iCloud tabs, but the send link feature gets pretty close to it.

18. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

My thoughts exactly.

19. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

just curious to those that like this browser.

I actually think Safari is better then Chome (on both Android and IOS) and Firefox and a few others I have tried.

What makes you (people in this thread) like it so much?

20. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

OP, welcome to the club. Mercury is the best browser for iOS.

I will be curious to try out FireFox when it is available.

21. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

As mentioned: Font adjustments and Bookmark syncing on iPhone.

22. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Memory management, mostly

23. Daiphoneboss thread starter macrumors member

I can actually confirm Dolphin web browser is actually noticeably better then Mercury in reloading , like alot better. I was able to launch up 8 apps and go in depth with all 8, clicking on news articles, looking at pictures, etc, not just opening up the app and leaving it there, actually using it too. And i am using Dolphin web browser and have 2 tabs open in it and it does not reload at all even when flipping through the 8 other apps. Dolphin web browser is really impressive

dolphin web browser is defitnetly the fix for people who like to have so many tabs open in their browser without them reloading (in that regard, Safari is not the best at holding alot of tabs open but i dont open much tabs anyway, i dont find it much of a issue really with Safari but for those who like to have alot of tabs open)

For someone like Sunking, maybe he should try dolphin browser

24. ssvsgod macrumors member

Just downloaded Mercury and really enjoying it so far. Does dolphin use as much/more memory as Mercury? Porting over bookmarks isn't really a priority for me. Just looking for the best browser that doesn't chew through the most memory for now.

25. Daiphoneboss thread starter macrumors member

I cant get tabs in Dolphin web browser to reload at all, even after opening up 9 apps and going through all 9 apps in order in the multi tasking tray and using all the apps for a good 15 seconds each scrolling in them, clicking on links/pictures getting stuff in the ram/cache, and my 3 tabs in dolphin browser after all 9 apps did not reload at all and were instantenously ready and available. Wow im very impressed