Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aroshlakshan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2013
I'm trying to merge 2 user accounts that are currently in the same mac book pro computer. I want to bring the documents and apps to the other account. I'm using time machine back up to back up from a user account and then importing that data to the other one using Migration Assistant. but I don't know if that's best way or is that gonna work. Can anyone suggest me on how to go about this?

aroshlakshan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2013
so the thing I'm doing right now will that work? If not I can try the option you have mentioned.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm trying to merge 2 user accounts that are currently in the same mac book pro computer. I want to bring the documents and apps to the other account. I'm using time machine back up to back up from a user account and then importing that data to the other one using Migration Assistant. but I don't know if that's best way or is that gonna work. Can anyone suggest me on how to go about this?

I hope I stopped you in time... but DON'T try to merge the accounts with Migration Assistant. It will jumble up both user accounts to the point you will want to kill yourself.

You don't need to merge apps, as they should all be available to all users.

If you look in the /Users folder you should see a folder there called Shared. Login to the old account and just manually drag whatever document/music etc folders you want into that folder. Now login to the new account and you will be able to see everything you dragged into that shared folder. Just drag the contents of each folder wherever you want them in your account.

Be careful when doing this last step that you are dragging in folder contents and not the folder itself as that could overwrite existing data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.