[Merged] Asus Transformer Prime

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NDefer, Nov 9, 2011.

1. NDefer macrumors member

This tablet looks like it may be an actual threat to the ipad, and to be honest I am thinking this tablet might even be better.

Thoughts?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. NDefer thread starter macrumors member

why would i be serious? dominates in specs, has a handy keyboard making this almost double as ultrabook, better battery life, running the new ICS

4. meatballs macrumors 6502

It's a beast, better than the iPad in every respect. The tech blogs will be on fire once the reviewers get their hands on it later this month or early December.

It will offer competition but it's not going to hurt iPad sales that much, Apple is Apple.

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I'm sure we heard that about the first Transformer minus the ICS.:rolleyes:

6. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Technically, yes. Will it get the same sales? I doubt it. I don't really think tablets are worth $500 for the functionality they provide, albeit.. this does come with a keyboard!

Still, it's hard to sell the average person (especially during a crappy economy) on a $500 tablet... iPad owners nonwithstanding1 They can afford to spend $500 on something that does what a tablet does.

7. NDefer thread starter macrumors member

so your saying ipad owners are the only ones who can afford a 500$ dollar tablet, and thats for a 16gb vs a 32 for 500 you get with asus. I know many people with apple products that dont have much money, they arent for the elite.

500 is pretty standard for a full featured tablet, and people who have a brain would compare value to the dollar, and if you match up this model vs an ipad2, choice is easy

8. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I must have failed to state my point:

I said nothing about the tablet not being worthy of its price - I said that tablets in general cost too much for what they can do.

These tablets are generally ARM powered machines with 1024x768 screens. Sure, with a keyboard and all that you're coming VERY CLOSE to the functionality of a computer, but it's still not quite there. Nor is the resolution (granted, it is a smaller screen than most computers have).

If you had $500 and your computer was ancient or non-functional, would you buy one of these? Or would you buy a cheap computer? You tell me.

The technology (and market) for these things hasn't quite reached the point where they can go for $200-300, and I'd guess that $200 is the sweet spot for these things to really take off (take a look at how the HP touchpad kicked off when HP firesale'd it) Ironically, it really is hard for companies to break the $500 price point - especially with that much hardware included.

9. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

It doesn't come with the keyboard. That's an extra $150.

Of course, anyone that owns an iMac already has a keyboard for their ipad, so in many cases a keyboard is free for most of us with an ipad.

10. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

True. But the great majority of iPad owners don't own an iMac or a MacBook for that matter.

11. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I do like the look of the Prime and it's keyboard. Probably because they both look like an ipad and a Macbook Air keyboard. Unfortunately for the Prime, it runs Android. All the tech in the world can't fix that.

12. meatballs, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

meatballs macrumors 6502

Have you tried Android 4.0? Have you tried Android 4.0 on a tablet?

edit to add: F2.4 aperture camera, like the one in the iPhone 4S. Cool.

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The EEE pad will be lucky to get 3.2

14. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Haven't tried 4.0, as i have yet to see a device with it or anyone that has it installed on their phone. Probably because very few people have gotten it yet. You know, that whole problem with manufacturers not allowing their customers to get the latest google OS updates. Yet another issue using Android. #

15. NDefer thread starter macrumors member

its going to have ics, thats why it was delayed.

16. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's good competition, and it has much better hardware but ultimately software is what matters most of all at this point and that's why the iPad is king. Android is good competition for iOS, but the latter is more stable, more secure, more consistent, and in my opinion more elegant. Plus, we've got a better App Store.

Nonetheless I'd like to buy this (if I have the funds) because I want to try out Android and more specifically, ICS.

I can't wait to we see the iPad 3 though:

9.7" IPS 2048x1536 263 PPI display
    A6 w/ A15 1GHz quad-core, 1GB of RAM, SGX543MP4 (or newer)
    Thinner, lighter, more battery life, etc.

New design? :D

17. rirawin macrumors regular

I brought a TF after selling my Ipad 2 to then sell the TF again to get an Ipad2 again.Phew.

Firstly the idea of the TF is great, its simple and effective. It just blows the Ipad in every aspect of functionality.

Why did I sell it then?, its a 3 fold reason.

1.Build Quality - Probably unlucky but it developed a fault due to the bezel creaking. The customer care was good though in fixing the issue but I had to send it to the Czech Republic to get it fixed.

2.Apps - There's under a handful of quality apps for the tablet, they lack the polish and quality I found I miss from ios. Its early days yet but there were some problems I just wasn't happy with that annoyed me which were simple i.e a video player like avplayer which could play in the background, to speed control of video playback.

Comic readers were OK, nothing like comiczeal or comiclgass. Perfectcomic viewer was good but it lacked the polish, Komik looked nice but lacked the features.

PDF was slow, it was bearable but it was disappointing.

No good vector apps too.

3.OS - Honeycomb was disappointing, it was only a placeholder OS but it certainly showed in areas where it was particularly weak in terms of occassional lag.

Plus points:

The file system - oh sweet lord this is what makes it so much better, the fact I can have a filesystem that can be utilised by all programs and share. It was bliss and not having to connect to itunes providing me the freedom I wanted.

Keyboard dock - Best setup I seen, nothing comes close and I wish Apple did something similar. All these 3rd party keyboard really have noting until you try this set up. It really is a great design and useful feature which hasn't been emulated.

Ports- oh the ports, another plus.

So yeah I loved the TF but not enough to keep, I probably wait until the Prime reviews come out and ICS before making a decision though. I really want to see Win8 ARM tablets and the future of Android does look rosey.

18. solowmodel macrumors 6502

To be honest for my needs I'm not really too fussed about specs. I'd venture to guess that for the a large proportion of tablet users this is also the case.

Software/hardware integration and ease of use are my priorities, and hence I'm not particularly overwhelmed by this.

Show me a retina screen however and Id be pretty excited^^ :)

19. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The current Transformer is running android 3.2. The Prime (and the current one) will get Android 4.0 probably before any other new tablets come out with it. Android 4.0 brings hardware accelerated graphics to the UI (and apps) and should eliminate anyone's perception of lag on any tablet that can run it.

I'll reserve final judgement until I can play with one, but the Prime should be a smoker. Not sure why I need four cores on a tablet, but if the Tegra 3's other features improve battery life and turn interaction with it to liquid, then I'm all for it.

20. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

The sad thing is, this thing may be a bad ars device, but no one will buy it, because it won't be marketed very well. The ecosystem doesn't even compare to iOSs ecosystem, and the world isn't demanding that it has anything other than the iPad at this time.

At 400+ bucks, People want iPads. They don't care that something may have better specs. It's not an iPad. Thats all that matters. To compete with the iPad, I'd say u need to follow the fire and nook model.

21. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

This is almost exactly what I went through and feel. I love the concept of the TF, and parts of the Android OS... but there are a few things that held it back... mainly development and polish (both software and hardware).

22. rirawin macrumors regular

That isn't true anymore with more Android OS phones a huge customer base is opened and cross pollination between the platform begins. The Prime is only the 2nd generation and without knowing what the other companies are doing I would be surprised if more market share is eaten up to a degree by Android tablets.

What I waiting for is an Android with a digitiser like the Samsung Note so I have a portable art pad. For the time being I have the Ipad2 but it be going asap if someone like that was avaliable.

23. meatballs macrumors 6502

Do you think that GPU will be able to drive a game at that resolution at an acceptable framerate? I kind of doubt it.

24. rirawin macrumors regular

Of course the GPU will not. However, we could see games scaled down yet Retina for everything else.

Anyway Win8 ARM Tablets and the new Android will make an interesting next year.

25. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yep.

We're talking about four times more pixels and twice the GPU performance. That is in a worst case scenario going to result in ~half the frame rate. However, considering four times more pixels doesn't necessarily mean four times less frame rate, it could even only be a quarter less frame rate than what we have now.

That's assuming Apple doesn't use a newer PowerVR GPU which I suspect they will, to keep performance the same or better. I hope they do, anyway. They may even end up using the MP2 still considering it isn't being fully utilized yet, although I hope that isn't the case.