[Merged] Behavior in the iPhone Forums

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by gadgetdad, Aug 15, 2008.

1. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Maybe its just me, but it seems there is alot of hostility on these iPhone forums. Some of the threads go from a simple question to borderline calling each other out back to fight.

Not sure where this is coming from, but we have the greatest phone on earth, now group hug and lets all just get along.:)

2. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I have really noticed that. I've always been a part of the PC community until the iPhone. I thought Apple users were friendly. Maybe it's just this Forum. The PC community seemed a lot more friendly. I don't know. Maybe it's because the PC's didn't make them as hostile. LOL

3. alFR macrumors 68020

I thought when I read the thread title you meant either:

(a) iPhones fighting in a Robot Wars manner
    (b) iPhone owners fighting in a Celebrity Deathmatch manner using their iPhones as weapons

I'd pay to see either, TBH. :)

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Maybe this thread would do better in the Forum feedback/suggestions forum! And probably Mods would take better car if what you say is true!:):apple:

5. gadgetdad thread starter macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Rock'en Sock'em Iphones...LOL

6. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Actually, I know it's not the norm, but I ran into a Moderator that seemed very hostile. I really thought that was odd. She deleted a thread right after I posted it for no apparent reason other than not liking something like this reply. Her reason was 'No one was discussing' after only about 6 minutes and 4 or 5 Replies.

I really didn't say anything out of line. And I had noticed that with a couple of other people she had replied to.

Other than hostility, this Forum is still a great place to get information! Some people on here try to be really helpful. I'm sure that part will survive.

7. gadgetdad thread starter macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Agreed, I live here and will it will always be my number one source of all things :apple:

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You know, it's people like you that make these threads. Mind your own ****ing business for gods sake.
    jk : )

9. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

maybe if phonesaber was still around...

10. ogdogg macrumors 6502

If a developer doesn't make a rock'en sock'em app where iphones can box against each other online I will now be disappointed.

11. gadgetdad thread starter macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I rest my case.:p

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Look in the quote you posted. In the bottom right of it :)

13. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Now THERE'S something for the App Store! Play by WiFi or BT???

:apple::apple:

14. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Some of the hostility, IMO, comes from a tendency on the part of those having no problems with the iPhone to react with disbelief, or even scorn, in response to those of us who are having a less than 100% positive experience. It's not restricted to this forum, either, by any means. To those whom the shoe fits, let me just say I'm glad you're enjoying and having no troubles with your toy. Please don't assume that because yours is fine, I must be imagining that mine is not. To those who, like me, have occasionally given in to the temptation to hate Apple and its creation: It's a marathon, not a sprint. Hang in there and trust Apple to fix the issues. It's true that the iPhone is a fantastic device, and it will eventually realize its full potential. Until then, remove all installed applications, save all your music and videos to a separate drive, wipe out and reinstall iTunes 7.7, reimport all your music and videos; restore, restore, restore; turn off 3G, Wi-Fi, Location Services, push email, and fetch email; turn your screen brightness down to dimmmmmm, and buy a battery tickler. Unload all firearms, hide all sharp objects, make appointments with your optometrist and psychiatrist, and keep checking MR religiously. Salvation will come; it's only a firmware update away.

15. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I noticed the most hostility is when people ask questions or say things that have been talked about before in other threads. It really seems to annoy people here, and I guess its the same on any message board.

Here's an example just posted: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=544818

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Please report offensive posts instead of indulging them. You'll get a faster response, and it entails less work for us.

Please post threads about the nature of the forums in the Site & Forum Feedback forum and not in the iPhone forum. Thanks.

17. gadgetdad thread starter macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I have had my share of Steve hating problems. Iam on my 2nd white 3g.

18. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

There are some "strong" opinions about things, but calling it hostile? Not sure about that.
    Interpretation perhaps.

19. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I think a large number of the problems in the iPhone forum are happening because members aren't reading other threads or searching sufficiently before posting their own topic regarding a problem.... Hence the reason this site exists.

;)

20. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I believe the major source of such "hostile" threads is the:

Only One Speaker Working threads!! lol

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And rightly so.

Lazy people annoy me too.

I suspect that people caught short with curt responses, like "search the Forum", are used to having things done for them all the time.

In the short time I've been here, I don't believe that MR members are willing to perform this function.

22. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Disturbed by this community (iPhone forum and stupid questions)

Hi i just joined these forums today and to put it simply, im disturbed by the lack of common sense/knowldege of this community

Could it be the fact that this is a well known forum that attracts this kind of person ?

Searching through the Iphone forum archives there's just a ton of... well idiotic/whining/shady questions being asked

In any case there are people here that show a pretty high level of knowledge as well.

I am coming from a Sony Ericsson community as my baseline btw.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Give it some time.

Be sure to check out the FAQ and use the search function.

There are many on MacRumors who can and will provide insightful help. Just have to sort through the chaff to get to the wheat.

BTW, welcome to MacRumors. :)

24. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Lots of people come across this site when searching for help and end up registering to ask questions, so what?