[Merged] General Discussion - Android OS vs. iPhone OS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flyguy206, May 13, 2010.

?

Did you make a switch?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2010.
  1. Switched from Android to iPhone

48 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Switched from iPhone to Android

30 vote(s)
    11.0%
  3. Staying with iPhone

188 vote(s)
    68.9%
  4. Staying with Android

7 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

ModNote: In order to contain the number of threads hashing over the same topics in the iPhone forum, Android threads are going to continue to get merged... this one is for discussion in general of the Android / Sense user experience vs. the iOS user experience on the iPhone. There are merged threads for most of the major Android devices, such as the Evo, the Droid, the Droid Incredible, and so on, which you can find by searching. You may also get brief opportunities to vote in polls in this thread as well. The poll may change from time to time if there's an interesting poll question. Please do not post any new threads about this topic. --mkrishnan

I am sorry but the android os is not on the iphones os level. Now i went out and got a droid just to test the android os out. And if you are thinging to switching to the android os don't do it.

2. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Really, you got a DROID just to check out the OS? You couldn't borrow a freinds phone or check out a store demo? Seems like a way cheaper way.....but thats a great comparison of the OS's you have, glad you shared your research...:rolleyes:

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Please elaborate? What specifically is not on the same level

5. nfl46 macrumors 604

Please don't feed into the OP, people. All this will do is start a huge fight.

6. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I think we're just looking for his reason why it's better/worse....i genuinely came in the thread looking for that, and found this....so I'd like to know what his thoughts are, for real. I come here to read ya'lls crazy, smart, bananas statements/opinions....thats the fun of MR.

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Cool man thanks! Was thinking about going for a swim. Got the low down on if that's cool or should I go with a bike ride or jog? What's the word on the street?

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Love the response. I LOL'ed. :) I'd say jog and then I can live vicariously through you.

Just another reason to have a sub-forum for stuff like this, but what do I know.

9. vespoli macrumors member

All I'm thinking is that you need to learn how to spell and use punctuation.

Jesus Christ.

/feedingthetrolls

10. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I'm so tempted to try the EVO 4G. Even though I don't have 4G in my area, i do go to LA, SF, CHI and LAS VEGAS all the time.

The android OS is just different and I have an Ipad. But one thing is for sure, i don't care if right now the marketplace has just as many apps as the app store.

The sheer quality of the apps on the app store is just better. I noticed this right away. If I change my phone from Iphone to Andriod

here are apps i have to replace a must!"

-Logmein (they don't have it)
    -Airvideo (they don't have it)
    -Words with Friends (i couldn't find it)
    -Toodledo (i coudln't find it)
    -Justin.tv (i couldn't find it)
    -Mint.com (they have it)
    -Evernote (they have it)
    -equivalent Ipod music interface player. (this doesn't exist at the same level)
    -facebook (they have it)

if anything, i listen to music everyday with my iphone. In my car, its connected via headphone jack and at work, i use it. The best part other than the smooth navigation is the double click to controls when iphone is locked.
    Hands down my favorite feature.

This alone if done well on andriod would make me change.

Also, I like itunes. I like knowing when I sync my computer, its all taken care of. no worries.

But I'm still very very very intrigued with the EVO. I just think the iphone, such a polished interface. It doesn't stutter once.

11. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Totally awesome. :p

12. McBeats macrumors 6502a

how is it a poor man's iphone when it costs practically the same to use one?

13. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Huh! Maybe you should donate your phone to the Red Cross or something then.

14. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

That's why it's the poor man's iPhone, because once you get through paying for it you are poor. Hah.

Hmmm, looks like Cincinnati is getting 4G but with Sprint. BUT it is funny how these things get passed around. I have hope because of all the mutual sharing which goes on. That is a good thing.

15. flyguy206 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think android is nice but it still does not feel as good as the iphone.

16. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

17. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

i own a lot of apple products, but this board is almost overwhelming with its blatant fanboyism and claims of opinion as fact.

18. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

I work at a T-Mobile store (USA) and use an iPhone, so i see both worlds a lot... everything has their ups and downs, apps example:

iPhone's appstore: Plus side, nearly flawless apps, very streamlined, extremely high quality.. down side, locked down appsotre not all gets approved, no customization.

Android market: Plus side, you can do ANYthing basically with your phone, full customization... dark side, unstable apps, many cause phones to crash, some are utterly disgusting looking you can tell there is no regulation.

another is that the iPhone is just so freaking popular many companies make apps for it and just dont think of android.. when the Masters was on sooo many customers came in wondering how to get the Masters app they saw on their friends iPhone onto their android phones... just not gonna happen.

idk, my 2 cents i guess... to each his own though.

[edit] lol just noticed i put "dark side" for android.. it works though, i'll leave it.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Even the latest Android is laggy when doing some things.

Some of the new Android devices don't even have access to their app store. Nevermind that the android app store is just full of low quality software because most android users don't want to pay for software.

20. moynihan123 macrumors member

God the moderating on this forum is terrible.

I wonder what this forum would be like if the mods spent half as much time deleting obvious (and useless) troll threads like this as they do worrying about peoples feelings getting hurt.

21. capn7 macrumors member

trolltrolltrolltrolltrolltrolltrolltrollltroll

Like seriously, you can get away scat-free for trolling anything but Apple products around here. When you finally post YOUR opinion about Apple products, the KGB whisk you away and you're never seen again.

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Removed because some people don't appreciate humour.

23. corriewf macrumors 6502a

It's never fair to make fun of someone's iPhone like that.

24. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Seriously dude, would you talk about someones mother like that in to their face in "real life". Or more importantly, how bad would it hurt YOUR mom to know you were talking about someone else's like that (regardless of your age). I don't know how you people in New Zealand treat family but where I'm from we try to have a LITTLE respect for other people.

25. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Can i ask where you are from? Also what does my age have to do with this? Also, despite your poor opinion of me, you did not ask me to remove this, which is all you have to do.