Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
Is it just me or is pressing the power button then the home button no different from pressing the power button and sliding the slider to see how many emails/texts you have?

I think the lock screen can be improved too, but it's hardly a deal-breaker. :rolleyes:

grant.nytn

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Yep, very disappointed but not surprised. Apple will always be ahead in polish but lag behind Android when it comes to features and customization.

Always lag behind?

Android has only been out a matter of months while having the revolutionary iPhone as a reference throughout development. The next gen iPhone will be the game changer that Android will try to match with their next gen. Customization? Probably. Features? I doubt it. Development is easy when you don't have to break new ground and have a target to aim for.

brentaal

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2009
I don't understand all the hate. Have people become delusional? Some kind of MS fanboy invasion?

Personally, I was more than satisfied with what was shown.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Are you serious? Who's hating?

I see nothing but completely justified disappointment. Apple is seriously falling behind.

How are they falling behind? Because they don't have features that YOU want. People on this board seem to forget something that. You have 2 types of users The Gadget lovers which care about specs and every little thing with the phone and then you have the average consumer.

So while Apple may or may not be falling behind with the geeks. The average customer who doesnt care about specs and just wants the iphone apple is doing great with them.

So go to android or not.

binkmail

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2010
If this is their A+ update, I don't want to see their C- update... I mean, multitasking is great! Folders are 'okay' but the games stuff? Meh... Go get a PSP if you want your games...

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I don't understand all the hate. Have people become delusional? Some kind of MS fanboy invasion?

Personally, I was more than satisfied with what was shown.

Why does there have to be "hate"? No one can have an intelligent discussion on what the new OS has and what may be missing?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
If this is their A+ update, I don't want to see their C- update... I mean, multitasking is great! Folders are 'okay' but the games stuff? Meh... Go get a PSP if you want your games...

i prefer my iphone for games thank you

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
How are they falling behind? Because they don't have features that YOU want. People on this board seem to forget something that. You have 2 types of users The Gadget lovers which care about specs and every little thing with the phone and then you have the average consumer.

So while Apple may or may not be falling behind with the geeks. The average customer who doesnt care about specs and just wants the iphone apple is doing great with them.

So go to android or not.

if they wanted to cater to the average user, which is the majority

they shouldve revamped their OS, everyone agrees the iphone is looking pretty old

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Yep, very disappointed but not surprised. Apple will always be ahead in polish but lag behind Android when it comes to poorly executed and poorly thought out features.

Fixed.

I have an Android phone and there isn't much customization and features than an iPhone unless you jailbreak/root either device. iPhone's polished UI and well-thought out and well executed features always better Android's poorly designed multitasking and other poorly thought out features.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle

they shouldve revamped their OS, everyone agrees the iphone is looking pretty old

And who is this "everyone"? Is this everyone on macrumors,engadget,gdgt? Because last time i checked those werent places where average users were?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

So go to android or not.

Apple ARE always behind, there's no denying that.

They had a 2MP camera when most phones had a 5.
They had a 2G phone when 99% of phones supported 3.5G.
They still have an intrusive notification system.
They're only just adding multitasking support when it's been out for years.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

So you'd rather pay $30 for a title out of the total 2000+? Or choose from 50,000+ titles and pay less than $10 for a title? Most iPhone (note: not iPad) games are less than $5. Stuff like Minigore is only a single buck.

Not to mention, an iPhone can do a whole lot more than just games. PSPs (which cost $200 or so) only play games and have a crappy web browser.

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008
I thought some of the new features looked great, but, I agree that no mention of the notification system is a bit frustrating. I guess I'll continue to jailbreak if I can.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Its not out of the realm of possibility. They could just acquire Lockinfo and have a nice implementation.

attachment.php

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Apple ARE always behind, there's no denying that.

They had a 2MP camera when most phones had a 5.
They had a 2G phone when 99% of phones supported 3.5G.
They still have an intrusive notification system.
They're only just adding multitasking support when it's been out for years.

The original iphone was released in 2007. So unless your referring to an imported phone from korea. No US phone at that time had a 5MP.

Lets see...Yeah the original iphone had 2G but that time 3G was still in the process of being rolled out on cingular's network. So i don't know what 3.5G network that was rolled out to millions of POPs in 2007 your refering to.

If you don't like the notification system jailbreak or develop a newer one.

Multitasking is moot because you have unless your going to complain now that you have. That it took so long to get.

End of story is that the iphone sells and it sells good. So dislike it or not because people buy it.

And BTW its not Apple ARE always behind. The correct wording would be Apple is always behind :)

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

This is the most contradictory post I have read here this week.

Everyone here are not the majority. Everyone are people that don't know that you can shake your iPhone to undo. Everyone are people that don't know what is the difference between exchange and IMAP.

The only people that care about "customization", "features" and "specs" are full-on nerds. The reason 4.0 got custom backgrounds is because the iPad got it (which made more sense there) and consequently the new dock moved to the iPhone.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Its not out of the realm of possibility. They could just acquire Lockinfo and have a nice implementation.

What about people who have their iPhone protected by a pass code? If that was the case, you wouldn't want the names of people listed on the lock screen for all to see. Maybe just "2 missed calls" or "1 new voice mail".

CaucasionInvasn

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Sorry Apple, Im Moving On.

Before i hear the word "hater" or anything else you guys say around here this is my opinion. If you are not open to other people's opinion without involving your ridicule then hit the back button and save yourself this read.

I have had every iPhone since launch and have loved them ever since. Since then, as you all know the OS is extremely outdated. Yes the next Iphone will have an updated screen and better camera, but give me a break, looking at the same thing for 3 years in a row get's annoying and begs for a change.

I dont see apple allowing widgets (like android) or being able to customize to much. Oh wait, the home screen! that took three years but thanks apple. This is what apple is going to put into its next iPhone and thats unacceptable, especially those with the 3G, since apple is basically "forcing" them to upgrade phones to allow for these "new" features.

The customization is limited, damn ill most likely have the same set of sms tones to choose from, the same set from three years ago. Im sorry if this sounds like a rant but i've been let down. A cheesy looking multitasking and a "game center" is not going to cut it. I don't think apple will ever get it.

If only the droid was on AT&T.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
What a joke. Same old look and not a single change that I haven't been using with backgrounder and Proswitcher from a jailbreak standpoint

I can not wait to get my EVO

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
i guess some of you guys on here are not in the IT business...

people want "instant information" ...less steps...

im not going to leave my iphone but will def consider it if the new hardware does not add allot of the features other phones already have.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
And who is this "everyone"? Is this everyone on macrumors,engadget,gdgt? Because last time i checked those werent places where average users were?

go ask an average person, the iPhone doesnt have the wow factor anymore, its 3 years old, hitting 4 years now, not only that, everyone and their moms owns an iphone or ipod touch

so yes, the i say the iphone OS is getting boring to the average user and the phone geeks too

you dont get that WOW IS THAT AN IPHONE anymore, because its OLD, which isnt the reason why you should buy an iphone, but people are looking for something different, thats why android is rising up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.