Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I can't believe people have actually brainwashed themselves into thinking they don't need flash.

Enjoy browsing PHONE optimized sites (made for tiny screens) on your pretty new ipad screen.
We get it, flash sucks. But the fact is every site that actually matters uses it in some form.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Since Apple's support for Flash is crap and causes even their most modern & sophisticated systems to whimper & die (while a $199 Windows Netbook doesn't blink an eye), people would rather bash it than simply face the fact that it's an Apple issue. The vast majority of the world simply looks at the plight of the Mac user and says, "whatever, works fine for me" and goes on with life. It's not going away. Stop being one of Steve's lemmings and start demanding better Flash support on Apple platforms.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Lack of flash will lead to high return rates.

Imagine the simplicity of this device. You go "wow, my uncle would LOVE one of these. He just discovered online TV and I'm gonna get one for his birthday."

Uncle receives the iPhad. Goes to hulu. Doesn't work.

Hmm. Not many really creative websites work. Is something wrong? Is it me? Surely I must be doing something wrong?!

Uncle returns it to the AAPL store, confused about the hype.

The general public (not tech geeks) will flock to this device. Most stuff will work just fine, but when it comes to flash, Adobe and Apple need to kiss and make up already.

Zerg

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
Are you kidding? Flash is a proprietary product from Adobe. While the browsing experience might be limited by lack of Flash, this should show you how pervasive this technology is.

The future is HTML5:

"HTML5 aims to reduce the need for proprietary plug-in-based rich Internet application (RIA) technologies such as Adobe Flash, Microsoft Silverlight, and Sun JavaFX."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

Flash is very 1998, .. time to move on..

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Im a web designer and I'm sorry all you mac fans, but flash is here forever.

People who are saying that flash is only good for youtube and that there's already a app for it are missing the point of flash. It is there for the wow! factor, for those presentations and experiences.

Apple are never going to get rid of flash, especially with the ratio of apps to flash games.They aren't going to be able to stop flash games, this are created mostly by people who actually understand what the internet is for, freedom. They aren't going to be told that they shouldn't use it because Steve Jobs doesn't like it. He doesn't like many things which is Apples biggest flaw. Apple is trying to shovel snow in a blizzard.

+1 Been there and done that. Flash is here to stay AND the web will be MORE Flash dependent in the future. This was a VERY BAD MISTAKE by Jobs.

This product was suppose to be the best web browsing experience - ever! Yet, FireFox, IE, Mozilla, and Safari on a computer gives BETTER browsing experience.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
Since Apple's support for Flash is crap and causes even their most modern & sophisticated systems to whimper & die (while a $199 Windows Netbook doesn't blink an eye), people would rather bash it than simply face the fact that it's an Apple issue. The vast majority of the world simply looks at the plight of the Mac user and says, "whatever, works fine for me" and goes on with life. It's not going away. Stop being one of Steve's lemmings and start demanding better Flash support on Apple platforms.

Get it right. It's Adobe's issue coding software improperly, not Apple's.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Let's see what the first revision of this device will be.

With a real OS, USB, flash support, decent RAM, and, above all, at least 128 Gb of hdd space.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
I personally hate flash, so it's not that big of a deal for me (HTML5 is the future). But I think this could be added to future versions if Apple wanted to.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Are you kidding?While the browsing experience might be limited by lack of Flash...
Exactly.

Go to a grocery store. Ask the average consumer what they know about web standards and trends.

Report back.

My Aunt just checked her aol email, BTW.

Not everyone is as tech savvy and advanced as us. Flash isn't going anywhere and it's essential on this device.

Of course I'm wrong around here, but time will tell.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Exactly.

Go to a grocery store. Ask the average consumer what they know about web standards and trends.

Report back.

Not everyone is as tech savvy and advanced as us. Flash isn't going anywhere and it's essential on this device.

Or will it go away as more devices exclude Flash and more sites adopt HTML5? Hmmmm.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Are you kidding? Flash is a proprietary product from Adobe. While the browsing experience might be limited by lack of Flash, this should show you how pervasive this technology is.

The future is HTML5:

"HTML5 aims to reduce the need for proprietary plug-in-based rich Internet application (RIA) technologies such as Adobe Flash, Microsoft Silverlight, and Sun JavaFX."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

Flash is very 1998, .. time to move on..
Congrats to HTML5
call me when people are actually using it, then maybe I'll give a crap

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Or will it go away as more devices exclude Flash and more sites adopt HTML5? Hmmmm.

Listen, I'm all for NO FLASH ON THE INTHARWEBHS but I'm also a realist.

It's not going away overnight, in a month, in a year, or in five years.

HTML5, ABCDEFG 13, whatever the new thing is, Flash will be with us for a long time.

Have fun explaining to grandma why hulu won't work. I'm just going to say get a 13" MBP to prevent a vortex of confusion and angst.

My take, at least.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Exactly.

Report back.

What does your aunt's knowledge of technology have to do with anything?

With more and more mobile units under apple's control hitting the market every day, more and more websites will make the rational choice to cater to the widest audience possible and abandon flash. Flash is not magic. It actually kind of sucks. Web developers need to be smarter and not exclude a significant part of their audience.

It doesn't matter how or why Apple does it. If the users/viewers are using their devices, the web developers need to adapt.

Zerg

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
Hulu?! Ya because the videos are of such great quality! No ad's, always works perfectly. You've got to be kidding me.

The iPad has it's faults but lack of Flash isn't one of them IMO.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
One thing I do agree on, is that a screen that huge should have the FULL browser experience. I can forgive a device as small as the iPhone which is no big deal not having flash, but 9.7 inches without flash is a no-no.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Hulu?! Ya because the videos are of such great quality! No ad's, always works perfectly. You've got to be kidding me.

The iPad has it's faults but lack of Flash isn't one of them IMO.

Because Hulu is the only site that uses flash right? ;)

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Listen, I'm all for NO FLASH ON THE INTHARWEBHS but I'm also a realist.

It's not going away overnight, in a month, in a year, or in five years.

HTML5, ABCDEFG 13, whatever the new thing is, Flash will be with us for a long time.

Have fun explaining to grandma why hulu won't work. I'm just going to say get a 13" MBP to prevent a vortex of confusion and angst.

My take, at least.

Then recommend to grandma that she not buy an iPad. See, all done.

Zerg

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
Maybe if we put Internet Explorer with Flash installed on the iPad then it would be much better!

Oh wait, no we'd need a SD card slot, and X and Y and Z. Hell, just take a laptop, remove the keyboard! Oh wait, Microsoft tried that and it failed. Don't worry, they are cooking it up right now, Zune Tablet just like the Zune Phone. You'll be much happier with that. Windows Mobile is very superior to the iPhone OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.