Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
I don't understand the defence for Flash. You know I love PDF - I'm not anti-adobe by any means but really if it was the superior technology I'd be all over it but its;

1) Insanely Crashy
2) A bloated CPU horror (like 90% on a Youtube vid vs 14% for H.264)
3) Proprietary

What good is it?

Adobe should fix this mess and get people back on side by erasing items 1&2 from the objection list.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Correction, Flash is fail. HTML5 is going to replace Flash. Flash is just a resource hog and Adobe is just too lazy to do anything about it. Apple isn't being defiant/stubborn towards Flash, it's pushing Adobe to make Flash better and less resource hogging. Until then, I'll use HTML5. Superior technology FTW.

I don't think most people are arguing that flash is a great technology. HTML5 probably is alot better than flash.

YET, the fact remains ALOT of sites use flash, and people want to use those sites. Most video use it and most web games too(just look how popular games are becoming on facebook).

So, while flash may be an inferior technology, I don't think its going to be overtaken by HTML5 for at least a couple years. In the mean time its really sucks anyone using an iPad won't be able to see all the flash content on the web.

The only solutions I can see are jailbreaking an iPad(which I would be much more inclined to do than on my iphone) or someone creating some type of browser app that can use flash apart from safari. Otherwise the iPad is pretty crippled in terms of web browsing in my opinion.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Adobe Calls Out Apple/steve Jobs Over Exclusion Of Flash

The ARTICLE READ THIS

While the iPad sports a lot of features, one of them isn’t Flash. The Adobe plug-in is nowhere to be found on Apple’s device, meaning that many online games and video sites (such as Hulu) aren’t usable on Apple’s tablet device.

Don’t think Adobe hasn’t noticed this omission. In a stern blog post, the Flash team praised the inclusion of PDF and ePub support in the iPad, but quickly went on to condemn the company Steve Jobs built:

“It looks like Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on their devices that limit both content publishers and consumers. Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple’s DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers. And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web.”

Adobe is calling out one of the biggest gripes developers have with Apple’s App ecosystem: its restrictive, closed environment where Apple must approve all programs that run on its platform.

While we doubt this post will sway the minds of the Apple leadership, it does escalate the battle between the two companies over the future of the web.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Would be helpful if you would provide a link

Of course Adobe would respond in this way
They want to defend their turf

I think Apple knows exactly what they are doing

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

0blivion

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Well, I'm note sure if this is legit...but it's sounds real. Anyways, I also don't understand why Apple wouldn't enable Flash. They should've said, "You've got 95% of the internet right in the palm of your hand", instead of saying, "You've got the whole internet in the palm of your hands".

Apple, you know I love you!
:apple:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Flash is a resource hog and is becoming "outdated" by newer things like HTML5.

As far as Adobe saying that. Who cares if they did. The Adobe "team" should have made Flash based on Cocoa a long time ago.

If Flash dies. And I personally hope it does. It will be Adobe's fault.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Would be helpful if you would provide a link

Of course Adobe would respond in this way
They want to defend their turf

I think Apple knows exactly what they are doing

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

What do you think they're doing? The only reason I can see for not including flash is because of the resource utilization, but not allowing it at all on the device doesn't make much sense to me. HTML5 doesn't seem like it's poised to replace flash for at least a couple more years, so why limit the internet?

lee.anderson

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2006
UK
Flash is mediocre... on a PC. Flash is even worse on a Mac. On Smartphones? completely useless.

90% of Flash on websites are ADS. But even worse is, flash is a huge battery drainer. Why in the world would you want flash on an iPad?

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
It would be nice to have flash on the iPad, but since Apple hasn't seen fit to put it on the iPhone, I'm not going to hold out hope.

Even the crappy Wii has some flash support...

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Flash is mediocre... on a PC. Flash is even worse on a Mac. On Smartphones? completely useless.

90% of Flash on websites are ADS. But even worse is, flash is a huge battery drainer. Why in the world would you want flash on an iPad?

I'd want flash for the video and for the flash apps out there. It's horrible for ads, but it has a monopoly on the internet for video content and I don't think it's appropriate for a $500 device that is "magical" for browsing the web to not include a flash player.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
Well whats their excuse for not making a good flash version in OSX? Every Presentation I've seen from Adobe (Although not many) they've used macs, so why not make flash good on their platform of choice? If any, Whats Apples Beef with Adobe. Also are there any of mobile phones that support flash? I heard it was in the works.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
So Adobe's mad because they can't get support for their proprietary system on someone else's proprietary system?

We really need to move on from Flash. The sooner the better.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I am not sure if Flash really is a big deal for me anymore. There are not a lot sites I visit with Flash much.

No Flash is not a deal breaker for me here. I can live without it on my iPhone I can live without it on the iPad.

There has to be a huge reason Apple does not want Flash on these devices. Security maybe?

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

That's the link. Flash's use of memory or "security risks" is not why Apple won't include the feature on the iPod. If that were the case they would restrict it from the Safari browser and maybe even all of their products including MacBooks. Also, you can always disable Flash to save memory or "security risks" when required. I don't think Hulu.com is a risk. And, if certain uses of Flash is a memory hog, that should be the user's right.

Hulu or Disney, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, etc are other major sites.

I enjoy Apple products, I own three and believe the MacBook is the best laptop available today. But, Apple's "dictatorship" attitude is starting to make them look like Microsoft back in the day when they required people to use IE and did everything they could to stop competitive products to run on their OS.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
There has to be a huge reason Apple does not want Flash on these devices. Security maybe?

Flash is the #1 cause of crashes on OS X (think of the support cost this must generate for Apple annually--not to mention tarnishing Apple's "it just works" image). Flash is 32-bit, so Apple actually had to re-architect Safari's plug-in infrastructure to accommodate Flash in Snow Leopard since they don't have access to Adobe's closed proprietary code-base. Flash is a performance hog, and will drain battery life on mobile devices like the iPhone or the iPad. Flash is a major source of malware. Flash smells like old fish...

...Ok maybe not that last bit.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Flash is the #1 cause of crashes on OS X (think of the support cost this must generate for Apple annually--not to mention tarnishing Apple's "it just works" image). Flash is 32-bit, so Apple actually had to re-architect Safari's plug-in infrastructure to accommodate Flash in Snow Leopard since they don't have access to Adobe's closed proprietary code-base. Flash is a performance hog, and will drain battery life on mobile devices like the iPhone or the iPad. Flash is a major source of malware. Flash smells like old fish...

...Ok maybe not that last bit.

I have two MacBooks and I have never had a crash due to Flash. And, I used/develop/watch Flash all the time. I have Flash videos running at least 20 hours a week on both my MacBooks...zero crashes in the last three years.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I have two MacBooks and I have never had a crash due to Flash. And, I used/develop/watch Flash all the time. I have Flash videos running at least 20 hours a week on both my MacBooks...zero crashes in the last three years.

That's nice that you've had a good experience with it, however the fact still remains that it is the #1 source of crashes on OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.