Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I know there are other people on MR who are exactly like me when it comes to these things but might still be on the fence about it. I'm not complaining, just posting for those people.

That's what I'm thinking. Next fall at the latest.

Not complaining? That's a good one. :p

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
The single recurring thought when I stare at this thing is: why the heck does it look so much just like my old iPad 2?

it's the ipad 2 squeezed into a smaller body. The weight and size are great. .

are you retarded because everyone knew it was just a small iPad2.
they even said so in the keynote. the WHOLE POINT is the smaller form factor... also it has stereo speakers and 5MP camera and HD from facing camera and LTE option.

It's an upgraded iPad 2 in a smaller, nicer designed and better lighter form factor, that is what an iPad mini is.

What did you think it was? because everyone on the planet who comes to MacRumors knew, you must have been hiding under a rock of granit.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
A misleading point keeps being made here and elsewhere. It goes something like this: "the screen isn't bad; it's just not a Retina."

Let me clarify. The screen is terrible. It's not 163 pixels per inch. Or at least, it looks nowhere near that. I had a Kindle Fire for a while. That was 160 ppi (or thereabouts). This looks like 130 ppi. I don't know how or why, but it does. The single recurring thought when I stare at this thing is: why the heck does it look so much just like my old iPad 2?

I've been a mac user since 1992. On the strength of that trust and experience, I bought the mini today sight unseen. I walked in to a third party retailer and asked "When do you expect to have the mini?" I was surprised when they said: we actually just got a few in. I bought one without the benefit of seeing it.

In a sentence: it's the ipad 2 squeezed into a smaller body. The weight and size are great. The screen is horrible. Wait, let me clarify: ****ing horrible.

Steve is rolling in his grave. Apple's funeral has begun.
Yeah you are a troll. I don't believe you actually bought an iPad mini. Show us the pics of your mini or GTFO.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
The mods should combine e threads into one thread.

Only 4 threads is no way to promote an entire forum. We need 90, no less! How else will the 2% know that 4% might return their mini out of disenfranchised despair?

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
It's almost like it's just a cheaper panel (than the iPad 2) all around.
Don't make crap up.
d0Eke.jpg

Side-by-side with iPad 2. In no way is it worse than an iPad 2.
Gruber was right when he called it 3GS quality.
Again, don't make crap up:

"The actual iPad Mini display is not terrible. It’s exactly what you think: it feels like an iPhone 3GS display cut to iPad size, including the fact that the pixels seem deeper from the surface of the glass. (It does seem brighter and more vibrant than a 3GS display, perhaps because it uses an IPS panel.) And after a week of using it as my main iPad, the individually discernible pixels are no longer jarring to my eyes. The non-retina resolution is the one and only significant complaint I have with the iPad Mini, and it’s an issue that is only apparent to those of us who already own a nearly-new iPad.

For anyone else — those who own an older iPad 1 or 2, and those who have yet to buy their first iPad — the iPad Mini’s display will garner no complaints. I prefer the Mini over the full-size iPad in every single regard other than display resolution, and though I (and many of you) obsess over display resolution, it’s not an issue in the mass market."

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I found the iPad mini to be very nice not only in design but the display is also very fine I have no problems looking at it. Then again my eyes are young maybe a trip the eye doctor will help you out.

k3ith

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
New York, NY
I'm seriously considering returning mine. I love the size, but the way text renders is abysmal. I just wish it was retina :(

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
I found the iPad mini to be very nice not only in design but the display is also very fine I have no problems looking at it. Then again my eyes are young maybe a trip the eye doctor will help you out.

"You're holding it wrong"

"You also need corrective eye surgery"

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The Tegra 3 and the A5 are both Cortex A9 CPUs. If you go by package ship date, the current A5 is technically newer, since it didn't ship in volume until Q2 2012. But you see how that would be a specious argument.

They do have similar architecture indeed but there is a big difference:

A5 - 1 GHz dual-core
Tegra 3 - 1.3 GHz quad-core

A5 does have better graphics though.

No, they're not. It's a brand new touch matrix technology, the assembly process is shared with the iPhone 5, and we'll have to wait and see what the other technical attributes shake out to. But this is a brand-new display. The only spec that's not new is the pixel density, but that doesn't have anything to do with the underlying technology.

Touch matrix has little to do with display per se. Sure the panel is thinner but it does not improve the quality of the picture. Mini's display resolution is clearly outdated.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
They do have similar architecture indeed but there is a big difference
It's not a difference at all with regard to the argument about the age of the platform. They are very different implementations, but their technological pedigree is of the same age. And even with the extra cores and faster clock, the Nexus 7 didn't run circles around the iPad 2 and it won't run circles around the mini.

I've got nothing against the Nexus 7--in fact I'll probably get whatever its replacement is when it's time to get rid of my Kindle Fire HD--but the argument that the iPad mini is "old", as though the N7 is some state-of-the-art wonder, is just not true.
Touch matrix has little to do with display per se. Sure the panel is thinner but it does not improve the quality of the picture.
The touch matrix is relevant because it sits on top of an LCD and can have a major impact not only on thickness but also on optics. The manufacturing process and display technology used have nothing at all to do with the end resolution. Calling the display assembly "old" is just flatly untrue. Is a brand-new Canon 12MP DSLR "old" because there are 22MP CCDs available? Of course not. The sensor can have new technology and still have the same pixel count as some high-end CCDs from 5 years ago. This is why 1GHz mobile devices aren't "old" even though you could get a dual-CPU desktop computer with those speeds a decade ago.
Mini's display resolution is clearly outdated.
Resolution is mediocre, yes. Outdated? Not until there are nothing but retina tablets on the market.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Tried one out at Century City Apple Store.

I definitely liked it...and didnt think the screen looked bad.
Sure it isnt as crisp as as the iPad 3/4, but the weight and size seemed
Good for some uses, it was so light in contrast.

I still prefer the screen size of my iPad 3, just not the weight.
Hopefully the 5th gen will be lighter.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Noticeably bad? I think it's time to stop going to apple stores and visit your local Optometrist. To say it doesn't compare to a retina iPad, fine, to say its bad? You need to get that checked.

The brightness, contrast, and color is just terrible. If these were slightly better, the lack of retina wouldn't be so bad. It looks washed out as hell. I don't even remember the iPad 2 to be that bad. I'm not expecting retina but damn use a better screen for that resolution. For $200 I can live with that screen, but for $329, I would rather wait and enjoy my 5,MBA, and wifey's upcoming nook hd. Keep in mind my money was ready for the mini today but backed out after seeing the display. I'm not hating, just pure disappointment because I have been wanting this form factor for a while and the reason I sold my iPad 2.

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2005
Went to have a look at one on PCWorld. Perfect in every way except for the screen.
Sorry but without a retina screen my money will stay in my pocket. It's better than the iPad 2 but once you go retina you can't go back.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
The brightness, contrast, and color is just terrible. If these were slightly better, the lack of retina wouldn't be so bad. It looks washed out as hell. I don't even remember the iPad 2 to be that bad.
Holding both in my hands. None of that is true. Unless there is substantial variation in the units floating out there, I think it's purely psychosomatic.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
The mini reminds me of those hot chicks you see with bad teeth, you don't know they have bad teeth till they open their mouths, total put off lol.

MacMartyr

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Anaheim, California
The issue isn't just the resolution- it's just fine on the iPad 1 and 2. It's the fact that the text is now rendered so much smaller on the Mini and there aren't enough pixels to clearly define it. It's mind-boggling that they decided to downgrade on the pixel density when moving to a smaller screen, where it needs it the most.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You agree 100% with the OP that it's unusable AND the screen is so inferior for reading but you still kept it? Interesting logic. :eek::eek:

No I agree the screen is not that great but the mini's size makes up for it -- for now. The screen is horrible for long term reading. It's fine for everything else.

aam07

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
The mini reminds me of those hot chicks you see with bad teeth, you don't know they have bad teeth till they open their mouths, total put off lol.

Haha! So true! She looks hot, with her slate black and machined design. Then she opens her mouth and the screen turns on...damn those teeth, that screen is so ugly!

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
The issue isn't just the resolution- it's just fine on the iPad 1 and 2. It's the fact that the text is now rendered so much smaller on the Mini and there aren't enough pixels to clearly define it. It's mind-boggling that they decided to downgrade on the pixel density when moving to a smaller screen, where it needs it the most.

Totally agree. It's a double whammy. That's why mines going back and I'm typing this on a 4th generation one.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I think this is some of the problem I'm having with it too. There's something more than just the resolution. It's almost like it's just a cheaper panel (than the iPad 2) all around.

Gruber was right when he called it 3GS quality.

Indeed. Contrast, black level, and color gamut are just as important as resolution in driving overall picture quality. The panels on the mini are sub-standard by Apple's previous efforts.

The mini really is the Macbook Air of the iPad line: weak screens with amazingly engineered shells.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.