Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drsnthl

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
Ugh, all of you complaining! it is really very simple, if you don't like the display DON'T BUY IT.

Seriously, the form factor, finish is beautiful. As many have said it is exactly what Apple said it would be.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Unusable? I don't own one, but I've seen it in person, and it's VERY nice. It's no ipad4, but look at the price. $329....ULTRA LIGHT, plenty fast, runs iOS, and looks nice for what it is.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I absolutely hate my mini screen but I can't go back to my iPad 3

This screen is awful. Pro Pictures look like cellphone shots. Text is really blurry. Saying videos are running at 360p is generous. However from the first time I held it in my hands I knew the mini was the one.

Steve jobs was wrong. This is the actual sweet spot. Having your tablet be thin and light is even more important then your phone. Having a iPad this comfortable to use will make me actually use it more. My iPad 3 feels unbelievably heavy and big now.

Not going back. Can't wait to pay another $330 for my retina mini.

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
The weight difference is startling. I went into the Apple Store for a different purpose entirely and came out with a Mini. I can handle the screen until the inevitable retina update.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't own a retina iPad, just the first gen iPad so I'm quite happy with everything. Yeah the screen isn't perfect but its no worse then my iPad-1 so I'm sticking with it

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I don't own a retina iPad, just the first gen iPad so I'm quite happy with everything. Yeah the screen isn't perfect but its no worse then my iPad-1 so I'm sticking with it

Yeah, retina displays are a paradigm shift, like HDTV's, broadband cable or ssd's in computers: once you try them, you can't go back.

Thankfully, my 17"'s display is good enough to forego retina on a laptop....for now.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
This screen is awful. Pro Pictures look like cellphone shots. Text is really blurry. Saying videos are running at 360p is generous. However from the first time I held it in my hands I knew the mini was the one.

Steve jobs was wrong. This is the actual sweet spot. Having your tablet be thin and light is even more important then your phone. Having a iPad this comfortable to use will make me actually use it more. My iPad 3 feels unbelievably heavy and big now.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Even though I cringe every time I pick up my mini the convenience is so much more than the full sized iPad which I just didn't reach for like this. And after a few minutes I get used to it, but I admit EVERY time I first pick it up I'm like wtf. Also when I picked up my iPhone 4 it made me so sad how sharp everything is in comparison. But I'm still keeping my mini like a sucker. It's soooo nice in all other ways. So thin light.

fsumom

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
Here is the way to get a good display:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16217426/

That has to be the case because I've been seriously wondering why there are so many people saying the quality is awful. The first thing I did was pull up pictures on flickr to see how they looked. I was worried at first because some pictures looked fuzzy but I realize it was just a lag and after a second or so the pictures adjust accordingly and look great.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to hear this.

Might be because of lack of QC from panel vendors, and/or inherent variance between vendors (AUO, Samsung exposed in a teardown? whoever's making these) themselves.

I believe it's probably the compromise Apple must make to ship in mass quantities. After all the massive number of units they are selling is just mind boggling.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
That has to be the case because I've been seriously wondering why there are so many people saying the quality is awful. The first thing I did was pull up pictures on flickr to see how they looked. I was worried at first because some pictures looked fuzzy but I realize it was just a lag and after a second or so the pictures adjust accordingly and look great.

It's not pictures you would easily tell the difference unless maybe you zoom in a ton. Compare font-app names on the home screen, text in Safari, especially small/fine font suffers a great deal without retina.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I keep reading things like "text is blurry", "text is unreadable", "screen is terrible" and I wonder are folks looking at the same screen as I am with my mini? It just doesn't make sense to me - my mini screen looks fantastic. I guess I really must be a fanboy (albeit a 62 year old one) willing to accept anything Apple produces. I am very happy with the display on my mini. To me the text is incredibly easy to read and even in those apps where the text might be small, it is so easy to zoom it really isn't a problem.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009

Might be because of lack of QC from panel vendors, and/or inherent variance between vendors (AUO, Samsung exposed in a teardown? whoever's making these) themselves.

This is the first I have heard of this so I have a hard time believing it.

The ones I saw at the store all looked the same, and idenitical to my own. I don't really understand the claim. But maybe that is just my experience.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010

I hate to hear this. I'm trying hard not to nitpick my mini as I did with the 3 and the absolutely last thing I'd want is another endless cycle of screen quality returns. Nope, not interested unless in store there's a significant discrepancy.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah I mean it's probably not worth doing tons of swaps until its retina anyways but it could very well be some are better than others.

I cannot confirm though. I have only seen one iPad mini screen thus far

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Yep I wish it had a retina screen too. It will come though.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
The issue isn't just the resolution- it's just fine on the iPad 1 and 2. It's the fact that the text is now rendered so much smaller on the Mini and there aren't enough pixels to clearly define it. It's mind-boggling that they decided to downgrade on the pixel density when moving to a smaller screen, where it needs it the most.

In absolute terms, sure, but relative to the current market and competing products, there's not a huge difference between 216 PPI on a 7" 16:10 tablet and 163 PPI on a 7.85" 4:3 tablet where it matters the most, when trying to view insanely tiny text in full-size web pages that are scaled to fit horizontally, like cnn.com. As I've posted elsewhere, it's not as simple as 216 > 163. For less extreme applications like iBooks, I think the Mini looks fine.

BTW, the iPad 1 has the same effective resolution as the Mini when displaying web pages scaled to fit horizontally. The iPad screen is about 1.23x bigger than the Mini's in both dimensions, which means a character 1" wide (for the sake of argument) on the Mini would be 1.23" wide on the iPad 1, and 1.23"x132 PPI is 162 pixels. So the rendering of text in this scenario should be exactly the same on the iPad 1 and Mini, because they're rendering the glyphs with the same number of pixels. The iPad 1's text will be bigger as its pixels are bigger, but it won't really be any sharper.

M

Mr.damien

The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me. We've pretty much known for months that it would carry the same resolution as the iPad 2, but coming from a 3rd generation iPad and iPhone 5, I can't help but cringe when I look at the iPad Mini's display. It might actually look worse than the iPad 2, from what I remember, for some reason. It almost looks like it's not at its native resolution.

If you have become accustomed to looking at retina displays and have any concern about about the iPad Mini's display, I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing. When the iPad Mini does finally get a retina display, it will be perfect. I'm not bashing the product. It really is beautiful, until you start to use it. :eek:
That's the same for your post: It was looking clever until I started to read it. Ho wait, it smelled crap from the title ... :D

M

Mr.damien

So what's your point? Nexus 7 is awesome? Great, go buy one. None of us Apple fans on MacRumors care how good or bad a google tablet is. We care about iPad.
He is only here trying to convince himself that he bought the good tablet.

What other reason an Android fanboy would come on an Apple site other than that ? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.