Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
I never have thought about purchasing one of these as I figured they were just for photoshop which I do not use.

Boy was I wrong.

I saw one in best buy when picking up the new U2 cd last week, and thought I'd look at them online when I got home just out of interest. I am currently a sophomore studying engineering and find myself using tons of notebooks and paper for notes and homework. They usually get somewhat disorganized, I do keep subjects separate and homework separated by subject as well, but I have been looking for a better way of taking notes, a different way. I kept thinking that taking them on the computer would be so much better, if i needed to go further on the page couldnt I just scroll over and add something in? Zoom out to see the entire thing? Add notes to something where if I was using a notebook I'd just have to use another page or squeeze something in where I'd get totally confused.

So I looked at this online and realized that a tablet can be used for many other things. I purchased the Wacom Bamboo, i didnt need to extra software in the bamboo fun and I thought the Bamboo looked better, so I got it as Amazon.com and had it sent. I got it today and have had a ton of fun with it.

First things first, I can use it as a mouse. It works really well although not quite as fast (yet) but with the 4 customizable buttons at the top for spaces and expose and turning on/off ink plus the scroll thing, its like a combo mouse/keyboard. I can write and it'll recognize my handwriting (apple's Ink software does, then inserts it into whereever the curser is in any program) although my handwriting is horrid. I do have to slow down for it to be read correctly. The two buttons on the pen can be used for right clicking and the other is for spaces. What a great alternative to the mouse.

Secondly, I am looking for an alternative for notetaking/homework assignments. Since Im in engineering I take classes that require doodles of pictures and math equations and such, which are impossible to do on the computer. I downloaded inkBook and have been trying it out. I can set the page to be fullscreen and i can add pages as I go. I can choose pencil/pen/highlighter/brush for my input, can change colors, and a cool feature of the tablet is that I can push harder and the lines get darker, or pull up and they get lighter. This is neat for having to draw reference lines that need to be there but distinguished from the rest. I really would like something that can organize all my notes in one location though, instead of having to open a new file each class. Something like evernote would be great, but the tablet function does not work (yet?) on the mac software.

So far it is great. I'm not sure if It will replace note taking for me this semester, but I may use it for homework assignments or re-writing notes just to get used to it and get a process down to possibly use starting in the fall semester as a complete replacement of a notbook (or mostly complete at least). inkBook is a nice piece of software, I'm not sure if it is the note taking software I'll end up purchasing. I have evernote but the mac client does not recognize tablet input from what I could tell using the program and reading the forums (if this is wrong please correct me and show me how to do this). I would really like to use something like evernote because of the syncing and separate notebooks to be used for different classes and such. I also tried microsoft word in notebook view, and it recognizes the tablet. The only thing is it is limited in how large a page will get. I still think i'll leave it as an option though as I already have purchased it.

If anyone has a better note-taking and organizing software let me know, It just has to have support for this tablet.

All in all, a great $60 spent. My sister does work with pictures and some graphics so she may buy one of these after she sees it. If anything, I'm just doing my part to keep the economy going; afterall, it is a consumer economy and we have to buy things for it to work right? Well I had some spending money from work so I got this and a new lacrosse stick. Two completely justifiable purchases. Now I just need about $2500 so I can get a spiffy new macbook pro to speed up final cut. I'd love to put that $2500 into the economy if I had it.

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
You have to purchase paper to use with that or print your own. Plus it is more expensive than the Bamboo and I can get much more functionality out of the tablet. I'd rather find a solution to use with this than purchase something like livescribe.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I have the bamboo. Love it. I go back and forth between it and my bluetooth mouse. I use the Bamboo in "mouse Mode" I like it that way much more than pen mode. I use the bamboo just like a mouse. With the Bamboo (or any tablet) after a week of use one can be just as proficient, if not more, as with a mouse.

mashny

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
One issue with the Bamboo, as opposed to the Intuos, is that you cannot program per-application buttons. This may not sound like a big deal, but it is. A good friend recently returned his Bamboo in favor of the Intuos for this very reason.

I agree with the above poster who uses it in "mouse" mode rather than "pen" mode. Mouse mode is much more intuitive, plus the cursor doesn't jump all over the screen depending on where you touch it to the tablet. After a few days with the Wacom (whether Bamboo or Intuos) I think the feel is even more intuitive than that of a mouse because we've all used pens and pencils since we were little kids whereas mice are more recent devices. Also, study after study shows the ergonomic benefits of the Wacom over the mouse.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I've had a Bamboo since Christmas and have started to use it a lot the last few weeks. I use it in "Pen Mode" and almost exclusively with Photoshop and Illustrator.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
I can't use it to save my life.

Which, a tablet or a lightscribe? Either way, come on. Are you telling us you can operate a computer but can't put "pen to paper"?

Why do people feel the need to act "impaired". Reminds me of my grandma's friends who try to outdo each other with what they can't do because of one illness or another! :confused:

@Foshizzle Wow you're really going after all the "other" features of a tablet!! Have to say though, with practice, typing is waaaay faster than any form of writing. But whatever works best for you.

I love my Intuos(es?). Can't say I use them as much as a mouse though, the precision for things like vector graphics is just not there, whenever I lift the pen the cursor moves slightly. Maybe I could if I used the rocker switch as the mouse button? I'll look into that!!!

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
@Foshizzle Wow you're really going after all the "other" features of a tablet!! Have to say though, with practice, typing is waaaay faster than any form of writing. But whatever works best for you.

I do type what I can and I love to type but for math and science classes you cant really type those notes. And being an engineering major i don't have many classes that don't involve math or science right now. This leaves good ol' pen and paper, or pen and tablet if I can find the right software/workflow for taking notes and organizing them.

If I could draw, I'm sure I'd use this for its intended purpose. But for now, all I'm drawing is 3-d graphs and free-body diagrams. I do like messing around with photos so I will probably use it for that when I get some free time. And if I could use it with Logic or Final Cut that'd be ever cooler!

junker

macrumors 6502
Just wanted to chime in here... this thread got me to thinking about the pen approach again. I used to have the Aiptek 12000u but I could never get to properly work under OS X. I purchased that thing brand new, at a real CompUSA in 2002....sold it last year. Never wanted too, but I figured a pc person could make better use of it. It was nice and big and when I was a pc user in 2002 it was pretty enjoyable.

So, I went on Ebay and got a brand new one for 43 bucks... pretty decent deal for the bamboo methinks.

I look forward to trying this again - with Painter X (unbelievable program for those of you who might like to draw and paint - even in water color!)

Anyway thanks for the reminder :)

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
bamboo changed my life

Picked up a wacom bamboo pen tablet today, and of all the electronics I have purchased, this is with out a doubt one of the highest ranking. Its really amazing considering how simple the concept. It boarders on a complete replacement of the mouse. If anyone has been considering it, I highly recommend trying it out.

IMG_1490-1.jpg

wetrix

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
Auckland, New Zealand
I've played with these things. They are really cool. I like the mouse that comes with them too. Nice touch.

Are you planning on illustrating or using photoshop brushes?

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Is it mainly for photography and graphics pros? What does it do for you?

Can it be a trackpad you use with your fingers?

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Well I unplugged my mouse to use the usb port and havent used it in two days. I also havent edited any photos really since I got it.. Its just a better mouse imo.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I've got a Wacom Graphire tablet that I bought in 2005 - I don't like using it as my day-to-day mouse replacement though.

I primarily use it when I work in Photoshop and need to paint using a brush, and it's especially useful to me when I use the pen tool for an intricate path/selection.

Trip1ex: No, it can't be used as a trackpad - the pad only recognizes the pen tip.

Bye Bye Baby: You use the wacom tablet to control the cursor on screen - it's just much more precise than a mouse when doing graphic work/painting.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
It's much more precise when doing anything.. It's also nice that the size of the pad is synced with the screen. So for instance, if you have the mouse in the center or the screen and then go to the left corner but run into your keyboard, drink, or whatever else is on your desk, you have to pick up the mouse and move it.. With the pen, if the pen is in the dented of the pad, it's in the center of the screen, if it's in the left corner of the pad, it's in the left corner of the screen and so on. I'm not saying it could be a mouse replacement for everyone but it's for sure a very under rated tool IMO.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Wacom bamboo, anyone tried it?

Just curious if anyone tried the Wacom bamboo.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
its really nice. perfect for graphic artists who scan their works onto their computers

if your thinking of getting an intuos. its nice but the sensitivity and stuff is pretty much the same as a bamboo. the intuos just has more buttons and more compatible with photoshop thats about it.

i rather use a bamboo over a intuos, if it invovles money. however if i was super rich i'd use a intuos. but bamboo gets the job done the same way as a intuos if your doing graphic art work.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
its really nice. perfect for graphic artists who scan their works onto their computers

if your thinking of getting an intuos. its nice but the sensitivity and stuff is pretty much the same as a bamboo. the intuos just has more buttons and more compatible with photoshop thats about it.

i rather use a bamboo over a intuos, if it invovles money. however if i was super rich i'd use a intuos. but bamboo gets the job done the same way as a intuos if your doing graphic art work.

Thanks

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
actually, the sensitivity on the Intuos4 is WAY WAY WAY better than the bamboo.. the intuos receives pressure and angel a LOT better.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it, but the Intuos is more expensive for a reason. i JUST ordered me Intuos4 and am REALLY excited, but i did a LOT of research before i purchased.

USE THIS COMPARISON TOOL
- it compares the bamboo and intuos4 sid by site.

Bamboo has 512 pressure levels while the intuos4 has 2048. you can actually do FEATHERING with the intuos4 which is an AWESOME feature if you want to do digital paintings and drawings.

it has a 60degree tilt and the bamboo has NO tilt.. meaning if you hold your pencil at a tilt, it will know and respond accordingly

lots of better short cut and on tablet functions

The person who intially responded clearly has not actually LOOKED at the intuos specs

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
actually, the sensitivity on the Intuos4 is WAY WAY WAY better than the bamboo.. the intuos receives pressure and angel a LOT better.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it, but the Intuos is more expensive for a reason. i JUST ordered me Intuos4 and am REALLY excited, but i did a LOT of research before i purchased.

USE THIS COMPARISON TOOL
- it compares the bamboo and intuos4 sid by site.

Bamboo has 512 pressure levels while the intuos4 has 2048. you can actually do FEATHERING with the intuos4 which is an AWESOME feature if you want to do digital paintings and drawings.

it has a 60degree tilt and the bamboo has NO tilt.. meaning if you hold your pencil at a tilt, it will know and respond accordingly

lots of better short cut and on tablet functions

The person who intially responded clearly has not actually LOOKED at the intuos specs

The intuos is the way to go if you are going to be using it a lot. I've used one for years. Much nicer.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I have a bamboo and it works fine. It is waaay better than a mouse or trackpad for touching up photos, but the pressure sensitivity doesn't work quite as I'd like. I have never tried an Intuos, so I don't know if the Intuos accepts pressure input as I expect, or if I just have unreasonable expectations. The bamboo is cheap and it works, I may buy a better one when it dies, but I have never regretted buying it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.