Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
If there isn't enough Meroms available, I think Apple's priority for Meroms would have been Macbook Pro's, not iMacs.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
This rumor is garbage. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. While the rest of the world goes Merom, Apple is going to... wait until Santa Rosa to upgrade?

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I don't think it's true

I don't think it's true considering that many computer manufacturers are launching Core 2 Duo laptops now. If there was a shortage, it would be industry-wide, not just with Apple.

I think this rumor is not accurate, sorry.

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
considering most of macbook users go with macbooks instead of MBP, i don't think supply would be that big of an issue if Apple just upgrades MBP with Merom chips.

or Apple could upgrade only higher end MBPs with Merom chips.

either way, I don't see macbook getting the upgrade anytime soon.

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
This rumor does not sound promising.

tvguru said:
Moral of the story: Buy when you need, be happy with what you have.

Everyone should read this quote about 50 times. Well put. After September 12 I am buying a MBP. Merom or no Merom, it will still be the best portable around for my needs.

AntonicKnight

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
Then where did the Meroms in the new iMac come from?
Surely Intel doesn't have the power to tell Apple in which computers to put their chips. Besides, other PC manufacturers already announced many laptops with Core 2 Duo in them. I bet they'll ship before January 07.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Ship dates from Dell's website (excluding weekends):

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5500 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB) 9 days
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB) 4 days
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7400 (4MB Cache/2.16GHz/667MHz FSB) 4 days

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Yebot said:
This rumor does not sound promising.

Everyone should read this quote about 50 times. Well put. After September 12 I am buying a MBP. Merom or no Merom, it will still be the best portable around for my needs.

I concur.

I read here daily about people just waiting for the next great thing. Look at all those people who held off for a Powerbook G5...all that lost productivity that they could have had on a G4.

I went out and purchased a Macbook with all the education ipod guff too, and got myself an amazing deal. I've already done some great work on it, and I can honestly say that if new macbooks come out tomorrow, I really wont be dissapointed.

I just buy when I need. Technology has ALWAYS moved fast. You've just gotta deal with it.

jameshopkins

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2006
AntonicKnight said:
Then where did the Meroms in the new iMac come from?
Surely Intel doesn't have the power to tell Apple in which computers to put their chips. Besides, other PC manufacturers already announced many laptops with Core 2 Duo in them. I bet they'll ship before January 07.

Apple is small fry compared with Dell/HP/Lenovo, they are priority customers.

It still seems strange that they would put them in the iMac's rather than the professional MPB.

I still dont see them in MacBooks till Jan though

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
teme said:
If there isn't enough Meroms available, I think Apple's priority for Meroms would have been Macbook Pro's, not iMacs.
I agree.

We seem to be heading back to the point where consumer products (iMacs) are better than pro products (MBP).

I really need more than 2GB in my MBP, 3 GB would be nice (like the new iMacs) but 4GB would be better. Apple seem to be lagging behind other manufacturers on this front, so I can't believe that we will have to wait till 2007.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
witness said:
I agree.

We seem to be heading back to the point where consumer products (iMacs) are better than pro products (MBP).

I really need more than 2GB in my MBP, 3 GB would be nice (like the new iMacs) but 4GB would be better. Apple seem to be lagging behind other manufacturers on this front, so I can't believe that we will have to wait till 2007.

Alright everyone, just think back. Apple did this before (update the iMac before Powerbooks). How much longer was it till the PBs were upgraded and surpassed the iMacs? Was it 1 or 2 weeks, or longer?

aaronb

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Yeah, I don't believe this. Why would Apple use up their supply of Meroms (A Laptop Processor) on an iMac and leave the VERY-SOON-TO-BE-UPDATED MBPs without anything?

I can't see Apple placing individual chips into a computer from a huge pile and then getting to the bottom of the pile and saying "Well, here's to next year!"

Sorry, hundreds and thousands of people go into planning and preparing this stuff. Intel is already working on Santa Rosa, no way Apple is going to let Dell and HP get ahead of them too much on the laptop lineup.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
crees! said:
Alright everyone, just think back. Apple did this before (update the iMac before Powerbooks). How much longer was it till the PBs were upgraded and surpassed the iMacs? Was it 1 or 2 weeks, or longer?

Yeah, but before it was always about the G4/G5 portable/desktop divide. I don't see Apple being happy having a slower 'Pro' machine than an 'i' machine for long. It's not how they like to market, and any time their Pro laptop is slower than an 'i' desktop, it's a bit embarrassing.

I'd give it a week or two before new MacBook Pros.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I hope and believe that this story's rubbish. Wasn't this part of the reason we switched to Intel in the first place? Besides, I assume Intel will be cutting production of the Core Duo as they get used less.

jameshopkins

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2006
Dunepilot said:
Yeah, but before it was always about the G4/G5 portable/desktop divide. I don't see Apple being happy having a slower 'Pro' machine than an 'i' machine for long. It's not how they like to market, and any time their Pro laptop is slower than an 'i' desktop, it's a bit embarrassing.

I'd give it a week or two before new MacBook Pros.

I find it quite bizzarre that they put them in the iMacs first at all, its not as though they needed an upgrade, especially being a consumer machine.

MBP should come first, and can benefit from the lower power consumption.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
stillwater said:
That story doesn't make any sense to me. Apple is already putting Meroms in the new iMac. That belies the idea that the chips are in short supply.

I doubt this rumor highly. This should be Page 4 or 5 news.

If Merom was in short supply Apple would not have put it in the iMac. They would have choosen Conroe for the iMac and Merom for the MacBook Pro and Yonah for MacBook.

Dell is rolling Merom out in its entire XPS line (high end) and an optional upgrade in their Inspiron line (mid range; about $180 more). A lot of people buy these computers. They are saying that adding Core 2 Duo will add 4-9 days to the Inspirons and a ship date of the 21st on the XPS.

The only way this supply shortage rumor could be true is if Intel was supply Dell with "all it can eat" and gave Apple the "leftovers." With their relationship so new there is no way Intel would kick Apple in the balls like that.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
You guys are alll wrong... Merom went to the iMacs for a reason. BECAUSE Conroe is going in to the MBP! That way MBP has no problem looking better than the iMac... Duh guys... duh...:rolleyes:

aaronb

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Apple does need to, however, place the Core 2 Duo MBPs on the market quite soon. I don't know how far Santa Rosa is away but Merom is the gap-fillers, so to speak, for those chips. Probably would not be a great idea to come out with Merom in 2007 and in 2 months switch again to newer processors.

And the fact that the Inquirer's tagline is: "News, reviews, facts, and friction" definitely does not give me any sort of validity and reliability.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
poppe said:
You guys are alll wrong... Merom went to the iMacs for a reason. BECAUSE Conroe is going in to the MBP! That way MBP has no problem looking better than the iMac... Duh guys... duh...:rolleyes:

I hope you are being sarcastic!!!

As conroe is a desktop processor and will not go into a laptop!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.