Merry christmas jerk, from fed ex

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mac'nCheese, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Gotta love this video of a fed ex guy delivering a new computer monitor. It was reported on cnn and the fed ex company said the usual: we worked it out with the company, disciplined the worker, etc.

http://youtu.be/DhmjJCBQ-cA

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

While this guy was clearly wrong and went too far, packages face drops like that as a routine part of sorting, you just don't see it. Plus, we might not have the complete story... the driver seemed pretty confident in what he was doing, I suspect he'd stood around a long time waiting for someone to open the gate on previous deliveries (or nobody opened the gate and the package wasn't delivered and the recipient pitched a fit about it).

3. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Whether we know the whole story or not is irrelevant, the guy threw the TV over the fence. That is just wrong, period!

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I really dislike delivery companies.

The box has a picture of a monitor on it. Why would anyone throw a box like that?

It'd still be wrong, but somewhat more understandable if the monitor was in another unmarked box.

I agree bigger spills may happen during sorting, but it's nothing else to complete the story that justifies throwing it over the gate.

5. rockman0 macrumors newbie

Poor monitor. :'(

I don't think that guy will be working there for long, especially since there's recorded evidence of him throwing the monitor over the gate.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I can't imagine that "the other side of the story" (should there be one) justifies this behaviour.

Agree.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yes! Perfect. I've found deliverers must be under so much stress it's the only reason they can be this callus at times. I feel sorry for them, but at the same time, their customers aren't the people they should take their anger out on.

8. borisiii macrumors 6502

9. Papanate macrumors regular

Something about this doesn't ring true - FedEx isn't in the habit of destroying property to meet deadlines.

Makes one wonder what lengths UPS would go to discredit FedEx....

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do people read the OP before posting? FedEx has taken responsibility for the incident and issued a statement.

11. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Obviously Fedex wound't condone this kind of behaviour from one of its employees, I am sure he's been disciplined if not let go, no company would wan't their customers or their property treated this way. What we don't know for sure is whats in the box, its a box for a monitor, doesn't mean there was necessarily a monitor in it, even still though, he shouldn't have tossed it over the fence, he should have left a failure to deliver notice and come back to deliver it properly.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm not trying to excuse the behavior, but I wouldn't say that the rest of the story is irrelevant. Could well be a lose-lose-lose situation for the driver. He leaves it outside the gate, it gets stolen, his fault. He leaves a note, customer throws a fit over late delivery, his fault.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

14. Papanate macrumors regular

Of course I read the item. I also know that FedEx couldn't do anything else but
    apologize...even if they knew 100% the guy was paid off to do this. Look how FedEx
    is over-reaching on their response...it's obvious they know how viral videos can permanently
    damage their business.

Most people are ignorant when it comes to corporate shenanigans...two companies would gain
    much by FedEx losing just 5% of their market...USPS and UPS. Think about that when something so obvious
    get's 'posted' to YT by someone.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Oh?? Perhaps a gate was closed, prohibiting entry.

16. mstrze macrumors 68000

I read the full story. If you look there is a pad on the post which would have allowed the owner to open the gate remotely for him. The owner was in fact home, waiting for this delivery. The front door was open as well. FedEX guy chose not to even try ringing.

I have had multiple delivery guys do this (not knock). Someone is almost always home at my house (wife is stay-at-home), but they choose not to knock or ring the bell to let us know a package has arrived. On two separate occasions, something that required a signature wasn't delivered, yet they left the sticky on the door saying they were there. Again, in a small house where/when we were INDEED home at the time. :/

17. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

that is horrible....

I have always had awesome fedex/UPS drivers deliver my stuff...

they will actually ring the doorbell and wait for you to answer. and if I am ever outside they will stop and chat for a little while....

18. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

i like that we are discussing and taking offense to this first world problem

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I had two friends who worked at UPS, and one who worked for Fedex (technically two but one is a programmer so he doesn't count). They told me the horror stories of what happens when you ship stuff.

This kind of thing happens ALL the time. Maybe not on delivery but when the boxes are sorted. If it says fragile, they kick it and stack stuff on it. If it is a big bulky pain in the ass, they punch it and kick it and throw it.

It must be a miserable place to work if thats what the employees resort to doing. In cases like this, I blame management.

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh??
    Have you watched the video?

:rolleyes:

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My company does a lot of shipping. We package with the expectation that things will be handled like that. Things rarely break. Trust me: the sorting facilities are rougher. It's naive to believe that this doesn't happen to a great many packages. Around Christmas a UPS truck will often carry 300+ individual packages.

I believe USPS has been shown to have the gentlest service, but their prices are substantially higher for large/heavy items.