Messages for Mac looks so dated now.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by SunshineFires, Sep 21, 2013.

1. SunshineFires macrumors regular

SunshineFires

When compared to iMessage in iOS 7.

I understand that the whole flat concept might not work well on a Mac, but after using the new Messages interface in iOS 7, I can't stand the textured look of Messages on Mac anymore.

Anyone else feel the same way?

2. drew627 macrumors regular

Same here. i was expecting an updated messages UI during the first few releases but it looks like we'll have to wait till 10.10 or even longer (if they decide flat isn't for OS X) for an update

3. rayhigh macrumors member

OMFG. Jeez.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Just put iOS7 messages in all it's white glory on a big-assed 27" monitor. Your corneas will burn out! :eek:

No thanks.

5. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

It can't be any worse than looking at this white-ass forum.

In general, I agree with the OP. I use messages for mac allot(it's so convenient) and man after updating the iphone and ipad to iOS7, Messages for mac looks absolutely terrible.

6. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I was thinking this same exact thing the other day. I went from using the "bubble" view to using the "boxes" view. For me it helped Messages looking so dated.

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea, I hope that in OS X 10.10 we'll finally get iOS 7 Messages as well as the rest of the apps.

8. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

They could easily update it for the Mavericks GM.

9. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Sadly I've pretty much given up on Messages in OS X. I honestly never know if a message is going to go to my phone, my computer, both, or (every once in awhile) neither.

I feel like they took something that worked so smoothly in the iChat days and just bungled the hell out of it.

Am I alone in this experience?

10. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

No, you're not. iMessage has never worked for me as it should. Messages appear out order all the time, and they randomly appear (or don't) across all my devices.

11. MeUnix macrumors 6502

For me, iMessages work perfectly. If I am using my MacBook, the message will appear as a notification in the upper right hand corner, as well as going to my iPhone.

12. 3282868 macrumors 603

I wish Apple had kept a Leopard beta feature in iChat called "Answering Machine". Users could record a video (or simply an audio) away message, and friends can post one in return. Developers/beta testers loved it, yet it didn't make the GM.

Video messages would be great for the deaf as well. God, this goes back to 2006! Where does the time go?!

Leopard iChat Answering Machine

13. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that they didn't update it to go along with iOS 7 all things considered. You have to believe at some point, they will, but I doubt it will be for Mavericks this close to the GM release.

14. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

They could be changing Messages, Reminders, and Game Center UIs in internal builds for Mavericks. Maybe they will show up in GM.

15. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

The app's layout is fine. I just hate the gloss on the message bubbles (especially ridiculous on bubbles that are displaying a picture/video).

Then again I've been hating on "iOS gloss" for years (anyone remember this back in iPhone OS 2? So pretty)

16. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I don't mind the look of the current messages and would be pretty indifferent if they changed it to the way the messages look in iOS 7

I use messages on both my computers and my phone and while it doesn't work perfect.......messages out of order, disappearing, if computer was in sleep they load funny if at all.......I still find it very convenient for myself and love it.

The only issue I wish they could fix is sometimes people get 2 chat conversations with me, 1 from my phone and 1 from my email. Its not for everyone though, just certain people it does that to. I've tried to fiddle with my settings and make sure the other person has my email and phone # in 1 contact, etc, etc but it still does this from time to time. I wish they'd fix that and I could easily live with the rest.

17. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I want them to make a more robust option for those of us who still use IM too. With Google handicapping XMPP/Google Talk in favor of Hangouts, Mac users could use an actual IM service... but none really exist. Maybe Apple could roll out iMessages into a more robust system? It would require platform independence though, which wont happen.

18. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Exactly. I remember in 2010 when FaceTime was announced, Steve said it would be an open standard...then, nothing.

19. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

Mine works great! I get messages on both my phone and computer, and if I check it on my phone, the notification goes away on my computer and visa versa.

20. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

You probably have a better chance at seeing new iWork and iLife suites than you do at seeing updated UI for Messages, Reminders and Game Center.

21. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

They already said they're updating iWork. -_-

22. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I can't wait to see it. I hope it's ready for Mavericks release.

23. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I think that's when they're going to release it. It would make sense, considering they showed off an update iWork for iOS but it hasn't come out yet. Same with iCloud Keychain.

They're holding off for a reason, and that reason is likely Mavericks.

24. MikhailT macrumors 601

That's already explained in one of the news article a while ago, there are legal reasons that prevent them from getting standardized. So, I wouldn't expect anything for another 2-3 years while they go through this.

One of the article here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...t-suit-causing-complaints-costs-24m-per-month

25. lmddawson macrumors regular

Just as long as it actually starts syncing up with the right messages from my iPhone like its supposed to :rolleyes: