Messages "load earlier messages"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by super tomtendo, Feb 11, 2011.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Hi, i got my iPhone February 7th and coming from an Android it would automatically delete messages after 500 from a single thread.

Does this delete the messages overtime or keep them until you manually delete it?

2. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Nope, it doesn't delete any of your messages unless you manually do so. It can get slow as you keep loading earlier messages. I've got message threads that go all the way back to December 2009 for example. (iPhone 3GS).

One annoying thing is the iPhone Messages search only actually searches your recent text messages, I just wish it would search through all messages (old & new)

3. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

does it affect battery or performance? space?

4. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

According to my latest back up my iPhone currently holds 32,862 text messages, I've read somewhere that it can hold roughly 75,000 text messages (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It hasn't affected the iPhone's battery or performance in my case nope.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Neither. I don't know how big they are, but considering a text file is around 1 to 10 kb, I can't imagine that large. I also have conversations going back to 07, you'll be fine.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

How did you find out how many text messages are in your backup? :)

7. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

I use this software called 'iPhone Backup Extractor' basically you can extract all your text messages into an Excel document etc. It's not the best software, still looking around for a better one :)

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Phoneview; it's amazing. You can save an entire conversation with someone as a pdf. Well worth the $20.

9. bgtrack macrumors regular

bgtrack

OP

Text messages are such small pieces of data that you can store 75000 (or whatever the actual amount of messages) and not run out of room.

I deleted all my texts recently to see what kind of room I saved...I had messages from 2009 and when I cleared all of them I saved about 200 MB of data.

10. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Big time plus one for PhoneView! My sister passed away in 2010, and I really wanted to save her text messages... PhoneView made that really easy to do.