Messed up Boot Camp Windows install. Need help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dancks, Dec 28, 2009.

1. dancks macrumors member

dancks

So I Started Boot Camp, backed up OS X on external hard drive, when it came to partitioning I gave it 40 gigs because there are some big programs for windows that I desperately need. Then I inserted the CD and pressed install. I didn't really pay attention to what preceded it but I got ended up with a black screen that had the flashing bottom space bar ("_") on the top left of the screen. I thought I might have deleted the system so as a check I turned the machine off and on, it started to the windows install screen. When it came to choosing the drive to install on I tried clicking Disk 0 (something) 3 BOOT CAMP but it wouldn't let me. Something I pressed let me go forward with it but then it needed the mac drivers to install, which I couldn't use because they were on the installation CD. I tried restarting to mac by shutting down and turning on holding down the c button but it just stayed a blue screen. I waited an hour. I want to try it again but I also want to remove the windows cd so I can at least try to re-install mac os x but it won't let me. How do I get the cd out and any tips with boot camp/partitioning?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

To restart in OS-X (if it's not been deleted), hold down the "opt" key on startup. You should see your OS-X volume in the list.

To eject the CD/DVD, hold down the trackpad/mouse button as you restart the machine.

3. dancks thread starter macrumors member

dancks

sweet. When I held down the option key it geave me 3 options, OS, Windows, or the windows install.

So I confirmed that the os is intact. Should I just try to start all over?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Does it boot OK to Mac OS-X? If so, you can use BootCamp Assistant to remove, then recreate the Windows partition and start again.

When you get to the part of the Windows installation that requires selecting the install drive, make sure you select the BootCamp partition. Also, you will need to format the partition (FAT or NTFS) as part of the Windows installation, as the BootCamp Assistant only creates the empty partition.

5. dancks thread starter macrumors member

dancks

ok, I started the computer from the windows install disk, and on the part where it wants me to choose where to install it, it won't let me choose Disk 0 Partition 3 BOOTCAMP because it isn't formatted as NTFS. Unlike the example given in the installation guide it won't let me go forward from this point.

Did I screw up? If it matters I'm installing windows 7

6. dancks thread starter macrumors member

dancks

never mind that last post I didn't read that part about formatting for Vista earlier. Now its installing

7. dancks thread starter macrumors member

dancks

ok so windows 7 successfully downloaded. I installed the 64 bit instead of the recommended 32 bit. Will that hurt me in the long run? Also, I couldn't figure out how to eject the installation disk on windows so I shut down and restarted holding down the track pad. How do I install drivers?

8. dancks thread starter macrumors member

dancks

Now I really screwed up! bootcamp x64 is unsupported on this system! Its asking if I should try installing using recommended settings. Should I try it?

before I get banned for quadrupal posting, Are there any troubleshooting tips I should know?