Messenger bag and MacBook Pro: cool or dorky?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yousifabdullah, Sep 3, 2011.

1. yousifabdullah macrumors regular

Hi!

As a proud owner of a MBP 15", I've always wondered how the majority of "us" carry their notebook. I used to have the MBP 13", which could easily fit into my school bag, so I never gave it any serious thought. But soon I'll be hitting the roads more often and I need a comfortable bag to carry my current MBP with (my school bag is too small for it).

I've looked at all the messenger bags out there, but I'm having a hard time finding one with a simple, but elegant design. All leather of course with enough room for my MBP 15", that's what I'm looking for. Any extra pockets or space is only for the better and I have no problems coughing up $200 or so for a designer bag, but I just can't find any good looking one.

So... do you carry your MBP in a messenger bag? If not, then how do you carry yours? I've thought of a backpack, but I want a more stylish take on this.

Thank you!

2. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I put mine in a Incase Neoprene Sleeve Plus and then in my backpack...

3. treestar macrumors 6502

it's dorky and it's unbalanced when you wear it.

4. cfII macrumors regular

5. swedefish macrumors 6502

You're going to have a hard time finding a new leather designer bag for $200. I'd advise you to get a messenger that you can also carry in your hand (ie some sort of messenger/briefcase hybrid). Backpacks are NOT professional and cannot be worn with suits or sportcoats without looking ridiculous.

6. MrKennedy macrumors member

I second this.

I spent way more than $200 on a leather designer messenger bag. I've had it for a little over 3 years and it's been a great companion. If you pack too many extras in a messenger bag along with your laptop, the bag will be uncomfortably heavy. Hopefully you don't need to carry too many things on you at one time!

7. yousifabdullah thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect advice so far. Thank you!

A neoprene sleeve is not what I'm looking for at the moment, but the idea of finding a leather shop and have a messenger bag made for my MBP, now that's an intriguing idea. Time to resort to the savings account then, I guess. So how much is too much? My initial budget was anywhere between $200 and $400, but heck I might as well go overboard and buy a limited edition for $1000! (A certain someone will likely kill me for this :D)

The comment about carrying too much with my notebook has me concerned. My previous MBP 13" weighed quite a bit less than my current MBP, but this time I certainly have the need to take some extras with me. Any tips on how to make carrying the MBP in a messenger bag more comfortable? Is something like a shoulder pad practical or just waste of money? Thanks!

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i dunno i think this looks prett y nice

incase canvas BLACK

look at the incase canvas messanger bag. its simple and elegant and theres a black version

Attached Files:

9. swedefish macrumors 6502

I think it depends on how much and how long you're wearing it for, plus where you bring it. If it's a matter of a commuter bag, I'd probably go for a nice canvas bag as they tend to be lighter and cheaper without sacrificing style, but if you are going to bring the bag to clients and the like, a nice leather bag surely would be ideal (although a lot of professional bags these days are ballistic nylon which is another option). I think it's impossible to give advice on these matters as only you know what you have in mind and what style you prefer, but as for me, I am not too fussed about shoulder pads and multiple compartments. I find that less is more in the sense that if my bag restrics how much I can tote around, I tend to think more carefully about what I need to bring with me and I end up actually bringing only the stuff I need as opposed to a ton of unecessary things I might need but never end up using.

10. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

This ^

----------

If you want to play that game ...

Many others prefer function over form or what other people think.

11. swedefish macrumors 6502

To each their own, but I stand by my opinion that wearing a backpack with suits, sportcoats and topcoats looks ridiculous and unprofessional. Professional style is as much about elegance as it is about practicality and messenger bags and messenger/briefcases strike a good balance between the two. Of course this probably depends on what sector you're in and where you work. I speak for where I've lived and worked which is Washington DC and various countries in Europe.

12. DePaulBlueDemon, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

13. swedefish macrumors 6502

I was going to say that while Kenneth Cole makes nice bags, I'd never pay retail for one, but the one you posted is acually a great value at that sale price.

14. MrKennedy macrumors member

I second Kenneth Cole, but would highly suggest checking out a Cole Haan outlet if one is nearby. I have a few of their bags and the quality is top notch.

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/pwp.jsp?l=shop,pwp,c-100/f-10002+70017+4294966446/t-MEN'S|BRIEFCASES_{AMP}_BAGS

15. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

If I saw my lawyer wearing a back pack, I'd be making calls for new council. ASAP. Same goes for accountant, doctor, architect,...

I love my Coach leather messenger bag; it's a slim version so it's perfect for my 13" but a 15" wouldn't fit. When I got it it was a little over $400, so not super expensive.

16. Amerabian macrumors regular

I use a SwissArmy Victorinox messenger/briefcase hybrid.

It's made of very durable material, water resistant, and fits great when going to a business meeting or camping with friends..

I couldn't find mine online, but it looks very close to this minus the bulkiness ;)

[​IMG]

17. vnle macrumors 6502

18. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Actually, those look nice, but sooo expensive.

19. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

20. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I agree, but for some reason it looks alright if you are going business casual. A lot of students around me wear backpacks with business casual and it looks good. But, doing it with a coat makes you look stupid.

21. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Agreed. That is why I have a hand-me-down TUMI briefcase from my dad for when I need to go formal (it fits the 17" just about perfectly)

22. broadsword macrumors newbie

Another vote for Waterfield. I have the Cozmo and it's been perfect in every way. Suits casual as well as formal garb.

Attached Files:

23. swedefish macrumors 6502

24. jmacnash macrumors newbie

+1 on the Waterfield, they make awesome stuff.

Not leather (which gets really heavy for my taste) , but the BBP messenger is a nice looking bag for a 15 inch.

http://www.bbpbags.com/expandit.html