Metal/Something Shiny Stuck Under My iPhone 3GS's Display

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jun 25, 2009.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I thought I could finally get a perfect iPhone on the first try - no damage out of the box, a great screen, and no battery problems. I almost did, but I didn't...

There's something shiny (metal?) stuck under my iPhone 3GS's display. It's definitely stuck under it, it's not on top of the display. I doubt it's a scratch, the only thing that touched the screen was my finger, and it doesn't look like a scratch. Apple's quality control for the iPhone is terrible, as I've said last year. I hope I atleast get something, I've had every iPhone replaced once...

Click on the pictures to see the full-size versions, you can't really see the metal in the thumbnails. It's definitely more noticeable in person, and looks more like metal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cantuchristoph macrumors newbie

You should get a magnet and try to move it out of the way.

3. YoungLew macrumors regular

Wouldn't that cock up the phones flash memory?

I wouldn't recommend putting a magnet anywhere near the phone tbh

4. cantuchristoph macrumors newbie

There is nothing magnetic in flash memory.

5. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

What's the point of that? I still wouldn't be able to get it out. I'm not putting a magnet near my iPhone. I'm started to get pissed off having to return my new iPhone every year because of some defect, and risking getting a worse screen, hardware problems, damage out of the box, etc. I hope I don't have to deal with exchanging this again and that I get something out of this...

6. cantuchristoph macrumors newbie

The point of that is you won't see the piece of metal anymore. If it is not affecting the functionality of the phone, then the problem is that you are seeing it and it is bothering you.

7. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It seems shiny, but it might be dust. It looks more like to metal to me, though. I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow.

Nevermind, I really don't think it's dust.

8. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

I understand complaining about having this piece of metal under your phone, but I'd say you're amazingly lucky to have only had to replace a 3G phone once.

I had to do it 8 times before the 3GS rolled around, and I bet it has the same cracking problems in the same places as my 3G did.

9. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I added pictures to the first post. I also contacted Apple.

10. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

11. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Should I just call 1800MyiPhone? sjobs@apple.com isn't replying. I figured it could be kind of awkward to explain to a phone rep and that pictures would be better, so I emailed sjobs@apple.com since Apple doesn't have a proper tech support email address.

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

When I emailed sjobs@apple.com they gave me a phone call back rather than an email. Did you include your phone number with the email? (Although I really think that this is not a major issue which I believe is what Apple replies to with the sjobs email.) You'd have better luck setting up a Genius Bar appointment IMO, and just ask to inspect the phone before you leave the Apple Store with it.

13. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I didn't leave my phone number. I did tell them me Apple account name, though, so they could access my phone number.

14. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

After I wiped my iPhone on my shirt I noticed that there's also dust under the screen. What's going on with quality control? Does anybody know if Apple will overnight me a new iPhone 3GS and I'll send this iPhone 3GS back or if I'll have to send this back first? I've heard both are possible without any fees, so I'm wondering why they'll have me do when they call me tomorrow.

15. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Not trying to be a dick, but 8 replacements? Come on, not even Murphy (of Murphy's Law) has that bad of luck! :p

16. JTA60288 macrumors member

I have that same problem with my iPhone too, only mine is just 3G and not 3GS, and the particle doesn't look like metal at all. My friend says he can fix any problems with iPhone, but I don't know how reliable that is. Do you think Apple will replace/fix it for me?

17. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's definitely not a bubble. It looks more like chipped metal in person.

18. Surely Guest

Surely

If you aren't happy with it, trade it in. Why stress over it?

19. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I am going to. I emailed sjobs@apple.com on Thursday since I figured it would be easier to get a replacement with pictures. I never got a response from that email address, so I scheduled a callback from Apple for tomorrow. I didn't know that you can add links to pictures for phone reps (hopefully they can view other sites). As I've already asked, does anyone know if I'll recieve a new iPhone 3GS first without any fees or if I have to send mine back first before I can get a replacement (I'm a very good customer, if that matters. I've heard different stories regarding this. )

20. Surely Guest

Surely

21. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It would be a 40 minute drive there and back. I'd prefer to just get a replacement mailed to me.

22. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Do you guys know if I can just bring the replacemet home and activate it myself or if I have to have it activated in the Apple Store? Setting up a Genius Bar appointment was the easiest thing to do, but I'd prefer to activate it home as I did when I got it online. It's fine if they activate it in the store, I'd just prefer to do it at home. I hope the replacements are from one of the later weeks so I don't get stuck with a yellowish screen...

23. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You emailed sjobs@apple.com for a particle under your screen? What do you do, sit at home all day trying to find something wrong with your phone?

just take it to the Apple store or call up AppleCare if it bothers you that much

24. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD