Metal with a Polaris GPU in Mac Pro 5,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by t8er8, Apr 30, 2018.

1. t8er8 macrumors regular

t8er8

A quick question I have about Metal being functional after upgrading to a Polaris gpu in my case rx560. Does metal just enable as soon as you boot with the new gpu, or is there something you need to do to enable metal on a cMP after upgrading.

Those questions only apply if metal even does work after upgrading to a new gpu. If metal isn’t supported at all with upgraded GPUs is cMP’s please tell me.

2. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

3. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

If the hardware supports the tech, it will automatically implement it. Easiest way to check is to open System Information and look at Hardware > Graphics/Displays.

4. t8er8 thread starter macrumors regular

t8er8

Yes it will support metal 2 as long as it isn’t too old or just barely meeting the requirements, correct me f I’m wrong but I think all orginallt supported metal GPUs are also capable of metal 2, metal 2 is more of a fix up version for metal it doesn’t or shouldn’t require better hardware.

Also you’re right, it’s only the GPU and your OS that affects whether you’ll be able to get metal

5. goMac macrumors 604

Metal 2 is supported by everything that supported Metal.

However, not every GPU will support every feature of Metal. Some features even only work on Apple's A series GPUs.

I believe the 580 is one of the GPUs that have the widest Metal feature support on the Mac.

6. t8er8 thread starter macrumors regular

t8er8

This is correct, metal have different series and families of GPUs may I ask what gpu family the rx 580 goes to

7. MisterAndrew macrumors 65816

MisterAndrew

Polaris and Vega GPUs are family2_v1 in Mojave (family1_v3 in High Sierra). Apple hasn’t released the details of the Metal feature sets in Mojave yet.