Metroid Prime Trilogy from GameStop

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by musicpenguy, Aug 23, 2013.

1. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I wanted to let everyone know about the condition I got Metroid Prime Trilogy from GameStop ...

It came in a standard white Wii game case in perfect condition, both manual and disc were brand new condition.

Did not include anything else: No metal thingy, no Club Nintendo card, etc.

I'm very happy with what I got. I paid $65 after a promo code and my paid membership to GameStop. I don't buy much from the company as I tend to get my disc based games from BestBuy as I like their reward program better.

I've always been curious about Metroid Prime and finally I'll be able to play the trilogy without paying $100 for it.

2. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Good on you, enjoy! That trilogy stands as my favorite action game(s) of all time! I have played through Prime on my old GC at least 10 times, two times each for the other two. Just brilliant.

Avoid Metroid: other M at all costs. It has done to metroid what jar jar and pod racing have done to Star Wars. Sold that sucker for $1 with zero regrets.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I can't believe some of the prices for these older games. Someone offered me €70 for my copy of Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii a few weeks back.

4. musicpenguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea it is a bit crazy. I never owned a Wii, so the Wii U is my first chance to play some of these old Wii classics.

5. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Metroid Prime is amazing. I hadn't ever played any Metroid games previously, so didn't know what to expect when I picked it up. It was amazing, it hooked you in right away, and the gameplay was fantastic. The graphics were amazing then, and still are pretty good today (I'm still amazed how good many GC games look today).

The GameCube controls were decent. I picked up the Metroid Prime trilogy a while back because I thought the Wii controls would ROCK and...it is one of those games in my backlog that I always mean to get to. I will one day. Maybe my reading your future posts and getting jealous and curious will speed me along?

6. -SD- macrumors 6502

It's a licensed re-print that GameStop then open up so then can sell it as used. This allows them to charge what they want for it, which is generally just under what it goes for on ebay.

This isn't the first time they've done this, where do you think all these brand-new condition 'used' copies of Xenoblade appeared from? They've also done it with a few of the expensive PSone/PS2 RPGs.

I can't remember the name of the company that does the re-prints, I'll see if I can find it.

:apple:

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

How Nintendo can destroy those ludicrous prices ("Hey, I want that cake"); sell Wii 'VC' games on the eShop.

Seriously.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Nintendo first party games are never re-printed by GameStop.

OP - nice find. I cringed at paying $50 for it new, then opened it up only to play it briefly. Had I known that the value is even more for it sealed... :eek:

Wanna play the first ones with the Wii U controls - I'm actually preferring to play Pikmin with the Wii controls as well...

9. musicpenguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea there is no way this is a reprint. They have been having a huge promotion to trade in Xenoblade and Metroid Prime Trilogy at GameStop and that is were the influx is most likely coming from.

Started playing it last night and it is a lot of fun. Wii controls are great - and who said Nintendo couldn't make a FPS game ... :)

The timer blew me up on the first try - will give it another go tonight.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Thanks for the info on GS - the ones around me are void of any collectible Nintendo Wii games (for obvious reasons).

I only got Pikmin 1 & 2 for Wii as one local videogame store was just getting rid of older Wii titles (got Pikmin 1 for $20) and TRU by me still had Pikmin 2 (was on sale for $17 when I got it).

They are both worth much more as people are doing the same as me - playing all of them on the Wii U... ;)

11. musicpenguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea I never owned a Wii - so I'm one of those folks that is now in the market for the top Wii games

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Conduit 1 & 2 (though I like the first one more....) ;)

They are starting to disappear into Collectors Land, especially the Special Edition versions. Get your play copies while you still can.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Where is the info on this? The GS by me actually got one in - and they want $85 for it... :eek:

Since I've unknowingly opened mine, I'll just use that to play.

14. musicpenguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here is that crazy promotion - http://www.gamestop.com/trade2

By crazy I mean GameStop has a crazy better end of the stick on this one ...

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I'll hype you up right now. I played Prime 3 on the Wii, and the controls...oh, they rocked. I had high hopes that wands would eventually replace standard gamepads for first person console games. It was that good.

Playing Metroid Prime 2, my favorite of the bunch, with the wiimote would be an awesome, excellent, transcendental experience.

...that's right. Transcendental. You heard it here first.

17. musicpenguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Getting into it now and loving it - only about 90 minutes into the story and can tell I'm going to enjoy this 60 plus hour trilogy :)

18. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I thought the opposite. I loathed the WiiMote controls so much that I returned my collection and the Wii as well. It should have been a control scheme choice.

19. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

All of the Gamestops I've been in have Metroid Prime Trilogy - the power of the masses - after all the online complaints of gouging, the price as of today is now $69.99 (10% off for members).

They also have copies of Xenoblade.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I didn't like it at first either. Thought it felt too...what's a good word...mushy. My first 45 minutes with the game annoyed the everliving crap out of me. I was playing like a palsied grandma with a laser gun. But once I clocked in a little time, got used to the feel of the wand and the floaty reticle, I really started liking it. After about 3-4 hours, I was flipping around like a spider monkey and taking enemies out like I was born to it.

There is a learning curve, but if you were to stick with it, I think your experiences would've been about the same as mine. If you've got the time and inclination, I'd suggest trying it again.

21. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

The "palsied grandma" style is my usual manner of playing...

It would be nice to feel like a "spider monkey" and taking out enemies like I was born to it! Not much of a chance of that happening, Wii-mote or not...

22. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

Reviving a very old discussion:

I am thinking of picking up the Trilogy for $49 but I am concerned about not liking the Wii controls. I have the first prime on gamecube and I love it. Is it worth it? Anybody stop playing because of the controls?

23. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I bought this trilogy off eBay as soon as I picked up the Wii U because I was worried about availability and rising prices when I'd eventually get around to playing it. I think I lucked out and found a Buy It Now for $52. Looking forward to playing these, but as I go back to play all the old games I never got to play, I'm trying to play them in chronological order, so it will take some time to get to these since I've never beaten any of the Metroids.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I hated controls on the Wii. Indeed the Wii remote and nunchuck combination ruined many a game for me and eventually put me off the Wii. I never found it comfortable, even after years....

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Whereas I loved it, as you can tell from my post above. It's one of those things you have to try for yourself before you can make a judgement call.

One thing I've noticed is that the people who ended up not liking it tend to play with their arm sticking straight out, and aim from their shoulder, kinda like you would an actual gun. I put my elbow down on something flat, like the armrest of my chair or couch, and move the wiimote with my wrist and forearm, using it more like a pointer. It's a helluva lot more smooth, and not nearly as tiring that way.