iPhone X MIA: Notch haters

What's caused you to now accept the notch?

• It allows for a more comfortable edge to edge form factor

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • Other phone makers copied it, which added cred to it

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Notchsure - Maybe I was just too harsh on it last year?

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other...

Votes: 30 33.3%

• Total voters

Ralfi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Where art thou, Notch critics? ;)

Finding it curious how this time last year, this place was utterly bombarded with threads complaining about the notch when one iPhone had it.

Now, a year later, we have three iPhones with a notch & we hardly see anyone complaining. In fact, it's more the opposite - many more people are now praising the design/form factor.

I wonder what's caused this turnaround in people's mindset?

Can those who vehemently opposed the notch last year & accept it now provide reasoning as to why things have changed?

Reactions: EdMan and neteng101

Waterman316

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2018
People have gotten use to it. It was new last year. It’s not this year. Now their use to it and more accepting of it. That and those against it, everything to be said about it has been said. So the ones who haven’t accepted just don’t have anything else to say about it.

Myself, I like it. Something different. Doesn’t interferes with anything for me. Most the time now I don’t even notice it.

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
The notch is a horrible design. Still is. Samsung does full screen displays right IMO. But if you want IOS then this is it. It's not a turn around, it's no other choice. And the haters are still there. The threads are still going.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I still hate the notch, but what’s the point in complaining about it? I want an OLED display on a device running iOS, so I’m stuck with the notch for now.
OLED isn't enough for me to make the switch. I have a 65" LG for my home theater that cost me $2500 and it's totally amazing... but OLED is also best in a dark/dim environment... which most of us don't use our phones in. Bright rooms just kill the OLED benefits such as true blacks and for that reason it's not a must have on the phone for me and LCD is fine for another year.

Like I said though, I'm most likely gonna upgrade next year anyway as part of the 2 year cycle.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
Where art thou, Notch critics? ;)

Finding it curious how this time last year, this place was utterly bombarded with threads complaining about the notch when one iPhone had it.

Now, a year later, we have three iPhones with a notch & we hardly see anyone complaining. In fact, it's more the opposite - many more people are now praising the design/form factor.

I wonder what's caused this turnaround in people's mindset?

Can those who vehemently opposed the notch last year & accept it now provide reasoning as to why things have changed?
Probably because people actually used the phones. It’s not something you actively notice during normal use, versus looking at pictures or a nitpicking a demo model.

jamezr

macrumors G5
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well....last year was the FIRST year model with the notch. So that would explain why there was more discussion around it. This year people have had time to get used to it. Then if you want an iPhone....it will have a notch. Doesn't mean people like it...... It just means they have accepted those facts.

This thread is kinda useless......

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I am going from the 8+ to the Xs MAX. Haven't gotten it yet but I never thought the notch was a bad idea. I was amused by the many who thought so and yeah, they do seem to be MIA. I'm looking forward to it to be honest. More screen space, OLED, and battery and reception don't take top line.

Last edited:

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
I don't have a problem with the notch - just miss my battery percentage. If they could fix that, I'd be happy.

Adelphos33

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
I was never really a critic of the notch. With the MAX, I am barely noticing the notch at all. It doesn't really cut into any of the information you are viewing on the screen. In the limited amount of time I have watched videos, I am watching with black bars on both sides in landscape, so the notch isn't viewable.

Reactions: Ralfi

Deguello

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I'm here. I still hate it. My 6+ is showing its age so the bigger screen and all the rest was worth the trade-off.

And, seriously, that horse has been beaten into quarks by now. Do you really want people to keep complaining just so you think they're not MIA?

Reactions: motulist

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
There are plenty of people that still don’t like it, but given the fact that Apple (and other manufacturers) have fully committed to it, it doesn’t make a ton of sense to scream at the sky about it while no one listens.

For my part, I thought the notch looked dumb originally. I didn’t like the way it obscured full screen content. I got a Max on launch day and I don’t notice it at all really.

This isn’t to say that I now like the notch. It’s just there...and it’s not going anywhere, so time to move on. If I could snap my fingers and make it go away, I would. But there’s really no point in expending energy thinking about it.

TooDarkPark

Suspended
Nov 23, 2017
I skipped the X last year and bought a 8+. This year, I'm not buying any iPhone and instead, I bought a Note 9. No notches for me.

Reactions: motulist

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
Let’s say that the fact that I upgraded to an iPhone 8 from a 6s this year has nothing to do with financial reasons. Am waiting for the stupid screen cutout to disappear.
So you’d rather have two gigantic bezels instead of more screen space? Not following the logic...