Mic not working on my MBP

flipkid1021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Chicagoland
I bought a laptop headset from logitech and when i used the headset to plug it into the port it wont play from the mic on the headset every time i try talking through the mic it only receives through the built in microphone on my MBP. how do i make it so my comp will make it come from my headset microphone?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
"System Preferences -> Sound > Input" will let you select the input device.

If it's a USB headset, you probably would need to select it for output, as well.

flipkid1021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Chicagoland
When i go to sound input and i plug in my headset the sound volume doesn't even move its like nothing is in it. and i know its not the headset it works on my desktop. where as when i test my built in mic the volume test sensor thing moves

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I bought a laptop headset from logitech and when i used the headset to plug it into the port it wont play from the mic on the headset every time i try talking through the mic it only receives through the built in microphone on my MBP. how do i make it so my comp will make it come from my headset microphone?
If you are using a standard mini-stereo plug for the microphone, and it is plugging into the line-in port on your Mac, then it is not going to work.

The line-in port is specifically a "line-in" port. It accepts "line level" audio inputs only.

Such inputs would be from the back of your component stereo's tape deck, a component type (as in not built-in) stereo CD-Player's RCA jacks, etc.

Record Players / Turn-Tables and Microphones require a pre-amp if you intend to use them with a line-in jack.

Some microphones claim to be amplified. But, if there is no source of power between the microphone and the computer, you can pretty much forget it.

Does the microphone have a battery? Or, any other form of external power? If not, then you'll need a pre-amp. Usually, it's just cheaper to buy a USB Microphone than a pre-amp.

Myself, I just use a mixer (like a live D.J. would use) with a built-in pre-amp.

Now, if you are using a USB microphone, then you shouldn't be having any trouble.

If you are using a standard microphone, then you'll need a pre-amp.

As for why it works with your desktop, I can offer two possible explanations.

1) Almost all PC's have a Microphone specific jack that has a pre-amp circuit. But, none of the modern Mac's do.

2) Many older Macs do have a Microphone jack. I don't know exactly when it was removed from their systems, but I do know that the old iMac G3 I have has one, and my old PowerMac G3 had one. My newer G4 systems do not, but some of the G4 towers may have (I don't know).

I hope this helps.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I think you're saying the level indicator for sound input doesn't move when the headset mic is plugged in. Some mics require power, which isn't available on the MBP's line-in jack. Also, the input jack is designed for line-in levels, which are much higher than a dynamic mic provides. I haven't tried it myself, but apparently you can get some useable level by setting the input level control (in the Sound pref pane) to maximum.

iceprincess0966

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2006
I just solved this problem today and thought I'd share my experience.

I had already bought one cheap headset and had the same "microphone doesn't work" problem. After doing a little research online, I realized that the cheap headset was less of a problem than my not-so-cheap MacBook Pro.

I went to Office Max and got a Plantronics USB headseat (under-ear) and it works great. Awesome quality sound... very comfortable to wear.

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
I am experiencing the same problem right now. (better said my sister with her MacBook).
We have a Sennheiser PC 151 headset with standard 3.5mm connectors. it worked on her MacBook so far (Nov 2007, Leopard). I haven't tried it on mine because I didn't need a microphone since I am using a Mac. (I have a Feb 2008 model, Leopard).
It doesn't work since today, it has a few days ago. It came to my mind, that the only thing that has changed, is the EFI 1.2 update for the MacBook she's installed yesterday.

OK, I get the point of the "line-in" only and it's ok for me. She's really disappointed now but that's life. Still..why did it work in the first place and is now disabled?

I think we have to buy a USB headset in addition to the old one. (I've always tried to avoid USB hadsets for Notebooks because USB ports are rare especially on the MacBook.) But can't change facts I guess. Cheers

EDIT: I just bought the Logitech USB Chat Comfort Headset. It is working pretty well as it should.