Michael Dell Sees No Difference Between The Tablet And Smartphone Markets

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BergerFan, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Krandor macrumors 6502

Big difference in the markets...Samsung, HTC, etc. were already making phones so all they did was change the OS. People weer also already used to buying phones so getting them to buy a phone with extra features is easy. SO it makes it easy for any Android phone to be profitable.

Tablets are a whole new market and whole new device. The R&D for companies will be higher so more units will need to be sold to break even. Add to that the issue of convincing people they need a table.. and one that isn't an iPad. It will be much harder for all these different tablets to all become profitable.

Making profit in the tablet space is going to be harder so I don't think you will just see the flood of products ... at least not long-term. I think several companies are going to find it hard to make the profits they want and bail out of the tablet market and focus on phones instead.

2. Ommid macrumors 6502

Michael Dell needs to go and see his optician.

3. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Guess that is why Dell is struggling with this type of device!

4. Ommid macrumors 6502

And everything else...

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I remember when Dell was the product to buy. I even bought their first electric organizer back in 2002-2003 called the Axis I believe.

It seems no company can come close to the product quality and software of Apple right now.

6. Krandor macrumors 6502

I had one of those to. In its time, it was one of the best products in that class on the market.

Dell has fallen a lot in recently years and took another great company (Alienware) with them.

7. Ommid macrumors 6502

I used to love my old Dell machine, my current monitor is a Dell.

What you are saying is Apple is the new Dell lol

8. Ommid macrumors 6502

9. ratsg macrumors 6502

Michael Dell?

The idiot who suggested to Steve Jobs that he close up shop and give the money back to the stock holders.

The guy who came up with the only iPod knock off lamer than the Zune?

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Digital-Jukebox-player-display/dp/B000BL6IVI

I am sure this guy has done something right in his past to get to where he is now, but I have yet to figure out what that was. I will say that there is nothing verbally that has come out of Dell in the last decade that I would accept as a voice of authority, or as a reasonable visionary to the future.

10. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He's the CEO of a once great company desperately trying to hold on to an antiquated business model (box pushing). They can offer you all the services in the world as you build a PC but no one buys services from Dell.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I don't quite see them that blended yet, but at one time in the future, there probably won't be a division between the two concepts.

The thing is Apple Inc. has to beat Dell to the punch. Anybody who thinks billionaire Dell is going to sit there and not try and invade Apple where it is doing well doesn't know Michael Dell.

I may not always like Dell products, but they are a worthy competitor. In my college where I attend now and then, the office skills department dumped its 20 Macs (out of 80 computers total) for Dells, and the HTML classes who used to be all Macs are now all Dells (about 300 computers)

We can dump on them all we want, but this trend of Dell reaching into Apple's education market has happened in a lot of places, and besides Dell, Apple will have to watch Toshiba, Acer, Sony, and some others. I won't put it past Dell to try and reach into our position on iPods and iPads and actually take some of that market.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple has grown their market share by more than the level of industry growth for 20 quarters in a row. How has Dell done?

15. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I would probably be saying the same thing if I was him...

16. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Dell used to be a great product. I used to buy nothing but Dell's, and then something happened around 2005. I don't know if their production was moved to Vietnam or what, but consumer based PC's turned into junk products. I bought some post-05 PC's and everyone of them had issues ranging from bad keyboards, motherboards, screens, etc... Then trying to deal with their customer service (which had moved to Pakistan or India) was a nightmare. You couldn't understand the person on the other end of the line half the time. I got fed up trying to get my computers fixed and swore off Dell forever and moved to Mac. Haven't looked back and couldn't be happier.

IMO Dell is the cheap junk computer industry. Their reputation has been tarnished.

And look for Dell in the mobile sector? You do realize they tried and tried with the Streak and Duo (I think) and look where that got them.

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I have an Alienware PC, I love it. But, I got it shortly after Dell took over. I wish they stayed away from mergers, the quality (from what I hear) was much better.

18. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I wonder if another great new tech company will emerge and become the premiere brand while apple becomes the next dell. would be interesting

19. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

That's going to be pretty difficult because Dell has never been cool. Apple's advantage now - and this is something it never had in the 80s - is that the brand itself is up there with a great clothing line, Apple sells itself and not just because the products are good. People are attracted to Apple, and I'm not sure ANY tech company has ever captured the zeitgeist in that way. So in a purely commercial sense, it would take a pretty monumental **** up for Apple to ever find themselves in rapid decline again.

20. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I highly doubt it. Apple will never enter the low-end BTO PC market. No money (read: profit) in it.

21. EldoInTheWeeds macrumors member

Back in the 80's/90's, Apple made a really nice OS, but if you wanted it, you had to buy Apple hardware. Early on they dominated the market. Bill Gates came along and made his OS available to any PC manufacturer. He had dozens of makers building PC's with his OS and soon Windows dominated the market.

Apple launched the iPhone and its OS. Same thing as before, you could only get the Apple phone OS with the Apple phone. Apple dominates the market early on. Google comes along and makes the Android OS available to any phone maker out there. Now Android phones outsell Apple iPhone sales.

Apple launches the iPad. You can only get the iPad with the iPad OS from Apple. Apple dominates the market. Google makes the Android OS for tablets (what is it called?) available to anyone. This is a version of the same OS people are very familiar with on their Android phones. Now, do you want to guess which OS for tablets will eventually dominate the market?

22. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Michael Dell Sees No Difference Between The Tablet And Smartphone Markets

In Yoda like voice: This is why he fails.

23. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Mathematical equation:
    Apple profit > Dell + HP

Why does Apple have a net profit margin of 20% while HP and Dell are around 5%?

Apple > Dell + HP

From link 2: It's been nearly 12 years since Michael Dell told an audience of technology executives -- in a remark some of us never tire of repeating -- that if he were in charge of Apple (AAPL) he would "shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.

Analyst: Apple will soon have greater revenue than IBM and HP

CHART OF THE DAY: Apple Is In The Middle Of The Pack On Revenue, But Crushing On Operating Profit
    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-revenue-vs-operating-profit-share-of-top-pc-vendors-2010-3#ixzz1KaNuG6fO

Apple passes Dell in market value

Michael Dell say what? LOL