Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssampath

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

The clone makers like HP and Dell - yes that is what they are - have a very difficult time adding value to their products. There is no difference between product from one company and the next. There have been a few that have come and gone - Gateway, Packard Bell and ibm etc come to mind and none can really make money on their own terms. Dell was a real one trick pony that perfected Internet sales of mediocre products but when a company like Apple comes along with real innovation they have no answers. Guess that is why they are talking up their enterprise sales now.

EldoInTheWeeds

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
The iPad is a cash cow for Apple. They make a lot of money per unit. The Android clone makers will have to beat Apple and each other on value. Apple will have the iPad 3 32gig wifi for $599 and Brand X will sell the TabletDroid with 64gig wifi 5G for $399.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

snip...Guess that is why they are talking up their enterprise sales now.

Dell in the enterprise. Not that a scary tale techies will be telling their grand children 30 years from now.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

Apple launched the iPhone and its OS. Same thing as before, you could only get the Apple phone OS with the Apple phone. Apple dominates the market early on. Google comes along and makes the Android OS available to any phone maker out there. Now HTC, Motorola, Samsung, and a thousand Android KIRF phones outsell Apple iPhone sales.

...?

Thought I'd fix that for you.

It's funny how many people these days think that "Android" is in battle with "iPhone"... The first is an operating system, and the second is mobile phone. One is software, the other hardware. See how that works? :)

So, since you have it all wrapped up so neat and tidy in your historical assessment and future prediction of how this will all play out for tablets, I ask you who benefits from this higher operating system share?

It's not HTC, Samsung, or Motorola. Their earnings as a handset maker are pathetic compared to Apple's as a handset maker.

It's not Google, they give away Android for free, and make a little cash in a sheer numbers game of AdMob dollars.

It's not Android developers, either. Most Android users don't even know that they are such a thing! All they wanted was a fancy touch screen phone for free when their contract was up. Most don't even surf the net on their phone, let alone purchase apps.

So with Android OS market share rising, qui bono?

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
The iPad is a cash cow for Apple. They make a lot of money per unit. The Android clone makers will have to beat Apple and each other on value. Apple will have the iPad 3 32gig wifi for $599 and Brand X will sell the TabletDroid with 64gig wifi 5G for $399.

Perhaps you're thinking of the iPhone? That is a cash cow. A 2-300 dollar iPhone competing with 50-100 discount prices or BOGO priced android phones.

The iPad is running lean. The cheapest competitor is selling for a mere fifty bucks less, with most competing tablets equal in price or more expensive.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Dell used to be a great product. I used to buy nothing but Dell's, and then something happened around 2005. I don't know if their production was moved to Vietnam or what, but consumer based PC's turned into junk products. I bought some post-05 PC's and everyone of them had issues ranging from bad keyboards, motherboards, screens, etc... Then trying to deal with their customer service (which had moved to Pakistan or India) was a nightmare. You couldn't understand the person on the other end of the line half the time. I got fed up trying to get my computers fixed and swore off Dell forever and moved to Mac. Haven't looked back and couldn't be happier.

IMO Dell is the cheap junk computer industry. Their reputation has been tarnished.

And look for Dell in the mobile sector? You do realize they tried and tried with the Streak and Duo (I think) and look where that got them.

Though not a Dell fan, I know they are big and have resources. Too many people I see out there still use Dells, and it could be their price point, or because everybody else uses them, but whatever it is, they are everywhere.

Dell isn't a company to take lightly. They can try and fail over and over again, but they won't run out of cash or goodwill for the PC users who simply don't know the difference.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
I owned a Dell back when 'Dude! You're gettin' a Dell!' was their slogan.

:D

I actually had one before this slogan, at least one during, and at least another after this. I know I have 2 dell laptops that are literally collecting dust somewhere in the house. I couldn't even get anything for it on eBay.

There was a time when Dell was everyone's go-to choice.

That was 10 years ago.

I wonder if Apple will end up like that 10 years from now?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Back in the 80's/90's, Apple made a really nice OS, but if you wanted it, you had to buy Apple hardware. Early on they dominated the market. Bill Gates came along and made his OS available to any PC manufacturer. He had dozens of makers building PC's with his OS and soon Windows dominated the market.

Did Apple ever dominate the PC market? My recollection is that the early Macintosh computers were priced too high to gain much traction among general consumers. In any case, I don't think the Mac ever sold in as great a number as iPhones, or had the insane market share like the iPad currently does. Am I wrong?

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
The name "Dell" and the word "computer" should no longer be used in the same sentence. This usage stopped about 5 years ago. Please update whatever reference points you use. If you must associate "Dell" to something, please use the new vernacular: cheap, low budget, ghetto fabulous, door stop, entry level, wannabe. Any of these terms will suffice.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I've owned a Dell computer for the past 3 yrs and it's still running like brand new. I'm typing a reply to this thread right now on it. While I do agree that Dells PC hardware isn't exactly good quality, at the end of the day it gets things done for people whom can't afford a higher quality PC from other manufacturers or even a Mac.

3 yrs and VERY few problems on my end and my Dell Laptop is still running like a champ! I run a PC troubleshooting and repair buisness on the side so maybe i'm more capable of providing solutions to my own stuff when they arise more easily than most users, but my issues have been VERY minor.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I dont think much of Dell. I did recently bought one of their IPS displays, and am using it with my Macbook pro. Its quite a good display i must say.

But otherwise, Dell is meh in my eyes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.