Micro Center MacBook Pro MC374LL/A $999

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rkaufmann87, Jun 8, 2010.

1. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

For those of you lucky enough to have a Micro Center in your area they are advertising the base model MacBook Pro for $999 right now. This is a savings of $200 or almost 17%. I believe this is in-store only and is a pretty sweet deal!

The specifications are:

-Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor 2.4GHz
    -4GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM
    -250GB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
    -8x SuperDrive
    -NVIDIA GeForce 320M
    -10/100/1000 Network
    -AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wireless Network
    -Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    -13.3" Widescreen Display
    -Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I posted this yesterday and I did pick up the 2.4GHz 4GB, 320m 13" macbook pro. It is FAST! The new Nvidia GPU is totally worth it! I just returned my mac mini for this and paid the difference. :)

3. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Is the $999 price after rebate, or with a $200 debit card, or is it simply just $999, no muss, no fuss. :confused:

5. evo1 macrumors newbie

Just $999 no muss no fuss. $ 1062 after taxes here in Cambridge Massachusetts. Got one this morning and loving it. Just wondering why such drop in the price. MacBook pro 13 core i3 in the horizon?

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Thanks, my nearest Micro Center is 70something miles to the south, so if I get one of these MBPs I'd be making a special trip and all.

I'd be very surprised if Apple released an i3 MacBook Pro so soon after this refresh, but with Apple you never know.

7. iPagan macrumors regular

MBP 13" + Reading Glasses = Grainy Text!

I jumped on the deal as well, thanks to the info at slickdeals.net. One of the local BB's price matched Microcenter, so that saved me a car trip about 60 miles one way. One dissatisfaction I have experienced is that the text is GRAINY when I put reading glasses on!

I did a LOT of research before I made the purchase. I played with the display models in BB and Apple store, but unfortunately, I did NOT wear my reading glasses, when I played with those models! Big mistake!

My reading glasses are NOT super strong: one eye, right, is 1.0, and the other, left, is 0. No magnification, in other words, in that eye. Yet the text on web pages and folder titles look too grainy to me. I did realize that the res of the latest gen 13" MBP was 1240x800, but somehow I did not pay too much attention to that! Now I am paying the price!

In the meantime, I have absolutely NO problem with the text on my 16 GB 3G iPad!

My 1st post here, btw.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I got one too. Quick and easy. Fast machine and I finally have FW800 back (really missed that on the uni-Macbook).

Cheers,

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

I got in on this deal last Saturday. Had it price matched to Best Buy (which was zero trouble) so I could get the Reward Zone points.

Awesome machine so far. My first Mac.

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I tried earlier in the year with the white MacBook deal that Micro Center was offering and the person I spoke to on the phone at Best Buy was insistent that they would only price match local competitors. How did you get Best Buy to price match?

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Well yeah....you have to have a Microcenter local or you aren't going to be able to do it (the Best Buy that did the PM for me was about half a mile from the Microcenter store).

12. reggie23x macrumors newbie

Microcenter $999 macbook pro PRICE MATCHED AT BESTBUY

I was able to get the Best Buy on Butterfield in Downers Grove, IL to price match the Microcenter $999.99 price.

At first they said that they cannot match the price because Microcenter is considered an 'outlet' center... the Geek Squad dork was being an ass so,
    I told them that i'd return the one I already bought if they won't honor the price match.

I asked them if it was worth it to lose the full $1199 and get an open box item to have to sell vs making $999....

They gave in...

Since I'm a silver rewardzone member with a 45day return window and no restocking fee, I didnt really give a sh*t....

Actually, I had $255 in best buy certificates, so I paid $744.99 + tax....

I slipped a Seagate Momentus XT 500gb drive in it last week and it flies...
    4gb flash drive and 500gb 7200rpm drive performance...

13. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

Just called The Best Buy in Fullerton, Ca which has a microcenter around the area. I got this girl who kept putting me on hold and thought the Macbook Pro was a office software, and told me that I can get the license for $999 if i purchase a computer. I had to inform her that it was an apple computer. Then put on hold a few times, then questioned me again, then put on hold again. Finally she comes back to me and says she cannot honor that price. She said her manager told her that Microcenter was "not" an authorize reseller, then I corrected her that it was, but that didn't do much. So no go there. Guess ill take the long drive to microcenter, 40mins up and 40mins down

14. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

$999.99??? Great price for a great machine...

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Saving $200 USD is definitely worth driving over an hour for.

16. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Worth for your pocket, not for the enviroment... ;)

17. dacapo macrumors 6502

Just order it online for pick-up in-store and I think you'll be all set.

18. r3dhawk macrumors member

i have a microcenter about a half hour away (same distance to apple store) and when i called apple store they would NOT price match. i was a litle bummed, but no big deal cuz i just saved two hundred dollars!!!

btw, the customer service at microcenter is second to none. i reserved the mbp online and was ready at the pick up counter when i got to the store. as i was purchasing the machine, the store retail manager came up to me, thanked me for my purchase, shook my hand and handed me his card.

i am very pleased with microcenter's customer service.

19. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Concerning the order online/pickup in store, I did something similar a few years ago with Sears and a vacuum cleaner, it took forever as no one seemed to know what to do and when we got someone who knew what to do it took forever for them to find it and bring it out, and then it had all kinds of tape and notes, etc. stuck to box because of the order online/pickup in store.

Good to hear that Micro Center seems to have that process down but do they deface the nice Apple packaging in so doing?

20. 7thMac macrumors 6502

That's a great deal. I'll keep it in mind for my next purchase.

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I remember when I picked it up at my local micro center store and the guy came out and congratulated me and shook my hand I was very confused! I remember he looked so confident shaking my hand, too bad I looked very confused.

22. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Great to hear that about micro center....

23. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Some sort of new policy at Microcenter. Bought the MBP 13 and a month ago the ASUS G73. Both times a manager game up to thank me for the purchase and ask if I was satisfied with the service I received. Only seems to happen when you buy a computer.

Cheers,

24. r3dhawk macrumors member

same here. all i was thinking was that i must have just spent a bunch of money... lol

25. cwykoff macrumors newbie

I believe they have a manager thank customers with all computer purchases. Microcenter is the only Apple dealer I will send anyone to if they aren't already knowledgable. They actually have guys in the apple dept that know what they are talking about. As far as I can tell, the sales people do work on commission, but I've never been pressured to purchase anything there, so I always try to be sure my favorite guy is there if I make a major purchase in-store. :)

I reserved the MacBook Pro online and picked it up the next morning... if I remember right, you have a couple days to PU, so if you reserve that way, you can schedule around another trip in that direction.

I just picked up this as an upgrade to the MacBook I bought last year, slightly faster processor, but the graphics chip is a ton better. Just slipped the 500G HD from my old MacBook into the new MacBook Pro, and I didn't even have to do the time consuming migration. I'm really pleased at the price, and now can give the MacBook to a college-bound nephew or niece.

I'm sure they are just clearing stock, but I think this price makes this MacBook Pro a really good value.