Micron c400 / Crucial m4 install on 2011 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kappaknight, Mar 30, 2011.

1. kappaknight, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

So the package finally arrived today! First thing I noticed is that the SSD drive was about 1/3 as heavy as the regular HD that came with the Macbook Pro. The package from Superbiiz did not contain a box, only a hard drive inside an electrostatic bag but it makes sense since the Micron brand is supposed to be for corporate sales.

[​IMG]

Impressions so far:

- This drive is fast! However, it's also my first SSD so my opinion is very skewed. The MBP booted up within 3 gear spins in 10.6.6. After I upgraded to 10.6.7 it became 8 gear spins. After some tweaks per the Trim Enabler thread and resetting PRAM, it boots up in 2 gear spins.

- The SSD negotiates at 6 Gbps, as expected. Trim support is made possible with the Trim Enabler script (found in the Mac Pro discussions).

- All 512GB's appears to be recognized. This was unexpected. The least amount of space should be around 505GB's but according to iStat Pro, pretty much all 512GB's are available for use.

- I set the computer to sleep in 1 minute and was able to wake it up with the space bar without any issues.

- Running VM Ware to boot up Windows 7 seems to load up about the same time though it's probably slightly faster. Shutdown was instant.

- OSX shutdown is also pretty instant.

- I have noticed some beach ball behaviors when I load up new programs for the first time (e.g. VM Ware, iChat, etc.) Subsequent loads seem to not have any issues so far.

- One ODD thing I've noticed which may or may not be SSD related. My deleted files are no longer going to the trashcan. Every file I delete gets a warning that the file will be removed immediately and that it cannot be undone. I'm not sure if there's a setting somewhere that I can switch to flip to the old behavior or if this is a Trim related thing. Either way, a tad bit annoying but I can live with it for now.

Edit: I think one of the sudo commands I ran accidentally removed myself as the owner. I was able to fix this by adding my login to the owner of my hard drive.

- I don't think my Xbench scores are all that great. But I will give it another shot after a couple of days. Over all, pretty routine and trouble free as far as I'm concerned.

[​IMG]

2. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Just ran it again after updating OSX to 10.6.7 and updating the Windows in my VM. I don't think the upgrades have anything to do with the improved speed other than using the SSD a bit more than none.

[​IMG]

3. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

4. acurafan macrumors 6502a

welcome to the world of near instant gratification.

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Nice! I've been looking at this drive. How much was it?

6. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

This particular one was $920. Not sure how much the Crucial m4 will be though.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nice writeup. Thanks

I wonder if Spotlight was still indexing the new drive when you ran that first disk test?

8. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

If it was, how long would you anticipate it going for? I'm still getting some beach ball activities as of last night - but only 10 to 20 seconds at a time. Nothing like the 2+ minutes that some have claimed with other SSD drives.

Will be using it more today for music and programming (my usual stuff) to see how things go.

On a side note, I'm still not getting the 400MB+ reads in benchmark tests. (Ran another one this morning.)

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It really depends on how much data you have on the drive for Spotlight to index. Even with a lot of data it should not take more than an hour or two. You can tell it is still indexing by the little dot moving around inside the Spotlight eyeglass at the top right in the menu bar.

10. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Gotcha - that seems to have finished. I probably shouldn't say anything else about the SSD considering I just had to reboot the MBP for the first time due to a lockup. =P

One thing I have noticed about the beach balls is that it only affects one or two programs at a time. If Finder locks up, iChat and browser still works just fine. Of course, now that I've said it, it probably won't be the case.

11. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Strange, your speeds appear to be quite low. At this point I have to wonder whether there's even any advantage to putting a SATA-III drive in a 2011 MBP. So far, these drives either cause problems (Intel 510, Crucial C300) or, if they work well, report speeds that are nowhere near their stated specs. I'm looking forward to the first Vertex 3 benchmarks on the new MBPs.

12. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Me too. I honestly would have been happy with the Apple SSD as well - but there's no option to add it after the fact. Besides for the random beach balling which I hope a solution will be found soon, I'm pretty happy with the purchase. My #1 concern was storage with speed being a very close second.

13. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

14. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I would do two things repair permissions and also I use a program called clean your mac which gets rid of a bunch of crap on your system. Might just help to clean the decks a little.

15. tdream macrumors 65816

16. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

17. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I actually have that and it works great. =)

18. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

FYI just for comparison here is the Intel 510 250gb. It's good not killer. Still keeping my options open as new ones come out

Disk Test 404.63
    Sequential 264.50
    Uncached Write 323.58 198.68 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 504.15 285.25 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 118.04 34.54 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 633.98 318.63 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Random 860.57
    Uncached Write 468.61 49.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 826.63 264.63 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 2018.44 14.30 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 1236.15 229.38 MB/sec [256K blocks]

19. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Yawn. I'm running a C300 at 6Gbps SATA III in a 2011 MBP with lots of speed and no issues at all. Let me guess; you don't own one?

20. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

Congratulations, but there are quite a few people with problems, and I don't think your condescending smugness is of any help to them.

And no, I don't own a C300 - why would I buy a drive that's almost one year old and has bad garbage collection?

21. dgitalchaos macrumors member

If you're testing using XBench, then you will never see the full potential of your drive as it's not geared towards solid state drives.

Use AJA System Test to get results with large files such as media renders.

http://www.aja.com/products/software/

22. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Okay I'm game here we go

Here is my OWC 200gb Extreme Pro off my Internal backup . Than second image should be the Intel 510 250gb which did better . So Sata 2 drive and Sata 3 drive. Not bad

Attached Files:

23. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

24. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Just for kicks and to show how much faster a SSD drive is so much faster than some other devices. This is my Drobo which is a 4 disk array Raid 5 storage device hooked up through firewire. Hell I can run faster than this and I am a old dog. LOL

Look how slow this thing is

Attached Files:

25. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

The m4 is on par with the Intel 510 SSD drive.

[​IMG]