Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Micron today announced the launch of several new SSD options available under its Crucial brand, including a new high-end 4TB option and an affordable 500GB option.

crucial-x6-ssd.jpg

The new version of the Crucial X6, priced at $489.95, offers 4TB of storage with read speeds of up to 800MB/s and drop protection from drops of up to 6.5 feet. The X6 is compatible with USB-C devices including Macs.

According to Micron, the Crucial X6 has been designed to be lightweight and portable to make it easy to take along when traveling or on the go. There's also a new 500GB portable SSD that's available for $69.95.

The new Crucial SSDs can be purchased from the Crucial website and Amazon starting today.

Article Link: Micron Debuts $490 4TB Crucial X6 External SSD

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
crazy to spend so much money like that on an external SSD. everyone knows these things become unstable after a certain number of writes.

I'd rather get a 16TB regular external drive for $300 and it will LAST and hold your data so much longer.

An Internal SSD is different.

FCX

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Kind of meh for the money. As mentioned above, this thing is slow compared to a decent NVMe config.

Reactions: Anson_431

FCX

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
Just want to point out that 2 TB portable SSD (a complete retail product) costs $189, while Apple charges $400 for a 1 TB BTO option in an M1 Mac.
All SSDs are not created equal. The externals you're talking about are about 1/3 the speed, have a shorter mean time to failure, and lack the redundancy that Apple supplies. Just thought I'd point that out.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just want to point out that 2 TB portable SSD (a complete retail product) costs $189, while Apple charges $400 for a 1 TB BTO option in an M1 Mac.

I agree Apple charges too much for drive upgrades, but I don't think your comparison is really fair. Apple's drives are about four times faster than the Crucial 2TB drive you mentioned.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
This is perfect. I have an old iMac with only a 1 TB drive and have been using a 2 TB USB drive as my boot drive. I like having my 2 TB cloud sync everything and still have room for applications. A 4 TB USB drive would give me some room to also include my virtual machines that are currently on the internal 1 TB drive. I think I paid about that price for the 2 TB drive and it is slower.

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
I agree Apple charges too much for drive upgrades, but I don't think your comparison is really fair. Apple's drives are about four times faster than the Crucial 2TB drive you mentioned.
All SSDs are not created equal. The externals you're talking about are about 1/3 the speed, have a shorter mean time to failure, and lack the redundancy that Apple supplies. Just thought I'd point that out.

...come on. They are both SSDs. They serve the same purpose. Even if the cheaper of the two were 1/2 the speed of the other, it is also twice the storage. So we can negate that argument right there.

Even if we stipulate that the storage/speed differences cancel out here, it is still $189 for a complete retail product with an enclosure vs. $400 for an internal bump.

There is no justification on earth for Apple's insane BTO prices.

ksec

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2015
Would I get full 800MB/s when the drive is connected to an iPad?

Assuming your iPad does support that speed of USB connection than yes. I.e iF you are doing USB-C to lighting than it wont. I think there was only one version of iPad lightning port support 5Gbps / 10Gbps Speed with special cable.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
You can put together much better read/write speeds with a TB3 external drive NvME enclosure and an NvME drive, than you can with this thing.
While those are nice for personal use, I've had several instances where I've been burned with those types of drives because they aren't USB compatible or often backwards compatible with TB2 devices. Unless you need really fast, consistent speed like the Samsung x5, I'd much prefer a usb-c option for general use.

hagjohn

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Any suggestions? I am looking to build one.

I have this NVMe:

I had the previous version of this enclosure below. It was longer and thinner. I'm not sure how this one compares. Looks to have a fan now.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Where is Samsung in all this? WD had announced some at CES that I don't think are available for sale yet. Then we have this. I love my T5 drives. The T7 wasn't worth an upgrade for me because there was no 4TB option. I'd gladly upgrade to a T9 or something for 4TB. Have no desire for the fingerprint version though so hopefully they don't pull that crap again making people wait to get the non-fingerprint version which is smaller, lighter and less expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.