Microphone Not Working!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djshott, Apr 14, 2009.

1. djshott macrumors newbie

I've tried everything. No one can hear during phone conversations; voice recording apps don't pick up any audio; and voice activated apps such as Ocarina don't pick up any audio either. Please help, this is the 2nd iPhone I've had with this problem! Could is be a baseband issue? Could it be software? Hardware? HELP!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It's not a baseband issue. Baseband only controls radio functions (GSM, GPRS, EDGE & UMTS).

Have you tried a full software restore? Try that and when asked to set it back up, select as new. Sync your information back in. If that does not help go to the Apple Store and state your case

However by your post I point this problem on hardware rather than software. However Apple is going to want a software restore before taking a look.

3. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Did you recently use your headphones???

If so, the iPhone still thinks you have them plugged in. Rapidly plug and un-plug your headphones until it fixes it. Sometimes up to a dozen times to free it up.

This is a known problem.

Good Luck

4. djshott thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done this. And I've restored the phone completely. NOTHING works. I just don't know what to do. I've already been to Apple... they won't do anything because the warranty is up, and I don't feel like paying for the repair unless I absolutely have to.

5. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Hmmm....sorry to say, but maybe your mic has gone out. Is there anyway they would at least do a test and let you know?

6. djshott thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know. The Apple Store is very "we'll either fix your problem, and it'll be a great experience... or we'll just look you in the eyes and tell you there's no hope"

So I doubt they'll help out.... unless I straight up send it off for repair. Which I DON'T want to do. They'd probably even say it's water damaged or something ridiculous. I'm very weird about them repairing stuff... bad experiences in the past, I guess.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Call Apple Care, they are usually much more nicer than an Apple Store.

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

1. plug headphones + mic in. Does it work? If so then its a problem with the built in mic.

2. Bluetooth headset work?

9. mosbiq macrumors newbie

had same problem with mic & iphone 3g and found that my problem was ... dirty headphone port in iphone - take paper-clip and try to clean/remove small pieces from headphone port.

10. mrbillwebb macrumors newbie

had the same problem

I too had the same problem, had to hang up on people and send them messages apologizing about my mic. I tried restoring the whole thing, nothing, so I ended up calling apple support, turns out the only thing I had to do was reset all settings in Settings> General> Reset and it worked perfectly from there on, maybe thats your fix. Only downside is any alarms you have set will be gone and all your icons will be completely:mad: reorganized.

11. mrbillwebb macrumors newbie

Apple care

I totally agree about the apple care people, one call I made(out of several:() I sat on the phone with a guy from utah for ages talking about where we lived and sports while we waited for my iphone 3g to restore, which took forever. Totally nice guy, big thumbs up to apple care. I've only been to an apple store twice but they want to herd you out as quickly as possible at the one I've been to.