Microsoft and Yahoo unveil tie-up

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Jul 29, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

2. mags631 Guest

Source: cnnmoney.com.

Future monopolists, take note:
    1) When you are the dominant player, it's because you have the best solution in the market.
    2) When you are not the dominant player, you worry about the lack of innovation and "real" customer choice.

3. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Wait a minute, does that apply to Apple and Microsoft as well?

4. mags631 Guest

Yes, the concept of hypocrisy also applies to Apple when they are being hypocritical.

5. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

Apple is never Hypocritical :eek: I am interested to see what they bring, since i have heard some decent feedback on ding. I do however like google since its pretty clean, yahoo to me has a lot of noise that i chose not to leverage

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

That is entirely incorrect. IE was a lousy browser and yet still managed to hog the market and kill Netscape, adn it wasn't because the product was superior it was because Microsoft broke the law.

You guys probably already know this, but youse can decide for yourselves, á la Coke/Pepsi Taste Test: http://blindsearch.fejus.com/?q=macrumors&type=web

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

WOW :eek: I just did a lot of different searches, from very broad to very specific topics......and never once picked Google as my favorite set of results. Thanks for the link, very eye opening!

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

"tie-up" may turn out to be a very apt description of the result!

9. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I found my choices to be pretty even for Google and Bing. I've been using Bing lately and like it much more than Google... :ashamed:

Call me silly, but I like that Bing has been designed whilst Google just looks like it's slapped together by programmers.

10. mags631 Guest

My point was on the perceptions of a would-be monopolist, not on reality. If it's your product, you probably tell yourself and the market that the share is due to having the best product.

On a lark, I recently tried "what is cloud computing" and Google has better search results if I expect search results to define and explain cloud computing.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

12. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

no, but i just called them and said you told them to give up so they should be getting back to me soon on that.

13. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

So if this is the end result, they should've just let MS bought them when they had the chance.