Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft Attempting to Recruit App Store Developers for Zune HD?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Microsoft may be trying to draw iPhone and iPod touch developers away to develop apps for the Zune platform. Daring Fireball's John Gruber describes an e-mail he received from an iPhone developer in response to a previous article from Gruber on the Zune HD outlining how Microsoft had offered the developer "a bucket of money" to port his Twitter app to the Zune.
After my post, I got an email from the developer of an iPhone Twitter client. He was contacted by Microsoft a few months ago, with an offer to port his app to the Zune in exchange for "a bucket of money". He turned them down, but assumes, as I do, that Microsoft reached out to the developers of multiple popular iPhone apps.

My source is certain the offer was for the Zune, but because he turned it down early on, he doesn't know the details regarding the OS or SDK. If any other iPhone developers have gotten a similar pitch from Microsoft, I'd love to hear about it.
Officially announced in May, the Zune HD is set to be released on September 15th. It will feature a 3.3-inch OLED touchscreen with multi-touch capability, an integrated HD radio receiver, Wi-Fi, and it will be capable of putting out HD video to a connected HDTV. Coming with either 16 GB or 32 GB of internal storage, the Zune HD will also have a web browser and is poised to compete directly with Apple's iPod touch. The Zune HD, however, will likely be at a distinct disadvantage relative to the iPod touch given the vast offerings of Apple's App Store that increase the iPod touch's functionality well beyond those of standard digital media players.

The Zune HD is available for pre-order from Amazon at $219.99 for the 16 GB model and $289.99 for the 32 GB model, compared to $299 for the 16 GB iPod touch and $399 for the 32 GB iPod touch. Apple, however, is widely expected to update the iPod touch at a keynote event rumored for early September. Gruber has mentioned that he sees Apple releasing new camera-equipped models in 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB capacities at price points of $199, $299, and $399 respectively.

Article Link: Microsoft Attempting to Recruit App Store Developers for Zune HD?

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
John Gruber describes an e-mail he received from an iPhone developer in response to a previous article from Gruber on the Zune HD outlining how Microsoft had offered the developer "a bucket of money" to port his Twitter app to the Zune.

Hey, Microsoft, if you want to pre-pay me to write apps for the Zune, I'll do it. Do I still get 70% of the sales proceeds for the app as well?

Comment

Stargaze

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
looks like a bulky chunky Iphone 2G

Definately think that Microsoft needs to get their foot into the market but they better come out with a cell phone version as well if they are really looking to compete with the touch and iPhone.

Also its probably not best to have your Photos showing that your device menus that you made are chopped off the screen

Comment

gGGg

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
LOL! Microsoft has to pay developers for porting apps to their platform. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's just like the laptop hunters ads.

Comment

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
I definitely like the design...

Glad to hear that the price wars (well, that and falling flash memory prices) has pushed Apple to hopefully drop their prices on the iPod Touch. Personally, all I look for is storage capacity, and if and when the iPod classic is put out to pasture, I really hope that the high capacity Touch's will be affordable, which the trend appears to support.

Judging off how easily M$ hands out money for legal issues, I would think one would have to be the highest level of RETARDED to flat out turn down an offer with "buckets of money" involved (without at least getting details)...

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Why are MS designs always stuck in the 80s??

That angular design was so military and low rent at the time, and these days it looks like a device that will be highly pixilated and annoying like the tech of the 80s.

Good luck to MS. Money won't buy you love, guys. They should try to enthuse creativity a little, to get the best out of people.

Comment

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I hope this app store takes off, if only to provide the iTunes store with some competition.

Comment

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Somebody lures the (paying) developers with:
- excellent hardware
- excellent OS
- excellent SDK
- successful store model
- excellent usability for the end user (i.e. excellent chance the end user get to buy and use more and more Apps)
- in a word, a successful and revolutionary project

Somebody else needs to bribe them...

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That looks like my old Pocket PC. It's not a pretty thing... And why is More cut off?
And have they even considered selling it outside of America yet? :rolleyes:

Comment

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I actually like the way the Zune looks. Hopefully they can gain enough market share to make Apple work for it. I kind of doubt it, though. Apple owns this space and without a compelling new feature there's no reason for people to switch. Problem is, peoe already expect it to just work, which mp3 players should have done from the beginning but didn't. Microsoft has a reputation, whether still deserved or not, for not just working. They've got to do more than that.

Comment

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
That's a lost opportunity for the app developer (assuming this really happened).

Leaves the door open for someone else to create a similar app.
If this app store gets linked together with their Mobile OS through Nokia, as well as XBL, I could see it taking off big time.

Comment

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
I call BS on this

Sure it is possible that Microsoft could do this, but for this particular story, if you wrote an App, you would be proud to port it any other platform, regardless of any rivalry between Apple and Microsoft, especially if you were enticed with a "bucket of money".

This should have been page 2, IMHO.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
That's a lost opportunity for the app developer (assuming this really happened).

You rarely get money for nothing. What did Microsoft want in return?

* Microsoft owns the app once its done?
* The iPhone version is not allowed to be updated after the Zune version comes out?
* You have to write and support Windows software to work with your Zune software?

I have no idea, but there had to be some kind of catch that this guy just didn't think was worth it.

Comment

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Sure it is possible that Microsoft could do this, but for this particular story, if you wrote an App, you would be proud to port it any other platform, regardless of any rivalry between Apple and Microsoft, especially if you were enticed with a "bucket of money".

This should have been page 2, IMHO.

Haha honestly. Is this app developer filthy rich or something? Who turns down a job in this ****** economy that promises "buckets of money"?

BS.

Comment

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I seriously wish Microsoft well, and good luck

...but I won't be buying one of them. Hopefully Apple examines the product closely and grabs a few good ideas here - like HD radio for example.

Comment

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn’t Apple require that you make apps for the iPhone/Touch on Macs only? If so, will Microsoft require to only making apps for the Zune on PC’s? So if you only have a Mac, will you have to get a PC to make apps for the Zune?

Comment

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
People need to stop knocking Microsoft's design.

And if you knew how the Zune interface worked, you'd know why "marketplace" and "more" are cut-off. Think magnification on the Mac OS X dock. But of course, the menu is longer than the screen allows. In the end it looks better than the simple scroll items of a standard iPod interface.

The more the merrier, I think. Why are people rooting for a monopoly? Apple already controls too much of the MP3 and smartphone market. Too many accessories/apps that we can convince ourselves that we "need." Wouldn't you rather have the choice? If you ever decided to switch to the Zune or a Windows Mobile handset, it would be nice having all the same or very similar apps when you do, wouldn't it?

Honestly, stop complaining. :rolleyes:

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6
Every smart company picks out some leading apps

It's actually pretty smart for any company to pick out the apps they're most interested in, and pay those developers to port them and/or give them extra help.

Apple did the same thing.

• Apple picked some of the best apps such as Google Maps (which was on other phones long before the iPhone came out), and made sure their device had it.
  • Who can forget Apple giving personal help to the X-Plane guys.
  • The iPhone Stock and Weather apps were ports of existing widget as well.
  • Don't forget the millions of dollars Apple put into an iPhone application fund.
It's just a normal jump-start thing to do. Everyone does it.

Comment

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The best thing about Zune HD is that it is designed as a video device. It has a proper widescreen display (16:9, unlike iPhone/iPod touch which use an aspect ratio that no video content producer has ever considered using for output) and supports HD video output to a TV.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.