Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Meh, I'd rather keep my Microsoft stuff shoved in a separate box. Like Parallels running Windows XP, then plop a copy of Office 2007 inside it. I feel dirty as it is. ;)

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
That good on other Macs

I have an iMac with 8GB of RAM and I can't believe how crappy Office 08 runs :(

However, in our experience, the other office suites (OO, AbiWord, etc...) can't produce the documents we need in .doc format without formatting issues.

What a piece of *!%&* MS Office is.

ugh

I have a 1st gen Intel Mac Pro 3 GHz with 13 GB of ram & the speeds I get with Excel 2008 makes it very unusable. MS Office 2008/2008 are both downgrades in usability from MS Office 2003/2004. I won't say anything about what others call bloat because some of those features are actually useful to others as well as to me.

Hopefully Office 2010 in general & Excel 2010 will once again prove to be useful. I can not depend on Apple to keep allowing me to run my PPC apps on my Intel Macs.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Office is a great suite for Windows, but not for Mac. It's bloated, slow and just terrible—nothing like Office 2007 for Windows. I would be so happy if Apple manages to support .doc more properly. Although I personally don't want to use .doc anymore, my university still doesn't accept other types or at least pdf.

I would like to switch completely to iWork, but it's just not possible at this point.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Is MS going to be the exciting company in the near future

Is this MacRumors or MSRumors? MS stories sure are dominating the front page today......

And to vrillusions: NeoOffice > OpenOffice

As I said before Apple & the Mac has been getting more boring & less exciting. MS is doing these things to get Apple on its toes & make some real changes. Even OS 10.6 Snow Leopard has little to make one excited. I try to run it each day, but it seems to be lacking something that is definately in 10.4.11 & is finally getting into OS 10.5.8. PPC users have nothing to worry about missing. The $25 & free shipping was much better than the $29 + shipping from Apple.

IF MS can't get Apple to do something new & exciting who can.

jgbhardy

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
England
MS knows it's 2009 right?

Didn't Microsoft have a problem with Zune's counting the date wrong and they all started failing. Someone buy a calendar and send it to Redmond please!!

Microsoft today announced that it has begun shipping Office 2008 for Mac Business Edition, replacing the previous Standard Edition and Special Media Edition with a single package offering the complete Office suite with support for Microsoft Exchange included.Office 2008 for Mac Business Edition carries a recommended retail price of $399.95 for the full version and $239.95 for an upgrade version. The existing Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student Edition, which offers the basic Office components but lacks a number of advanced features, continues to be offered at a suggested retail price of $149.95.

Hmmm now I want Exchange support and an Office suite do I a) spend $399.95 on Microsoft Office or do I b) buy Snow Leopard with integrated Exchange Support and iWork 09 for $110. And they Apple has extortionate prices.:rolleyes:

When are they going to do some serious updates on MSN??? I can't freaking believe it. It's been so long.

MSN 8 is in Beta and has been for about... too long a time. Office was the last major program to be coded on Intel when Apple switched over, I know they want you to use windows instead to use their programs but its only creating more of a bad name for themselves being shoddy programmers.

speedbumpnv

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
so i have the special media edition (from what i gather its the same as the standard edition with extra stuff you dont have to install) do i have to pay for Business to get the entourage update? or will MS push a SP for the existing Standard and Media users?

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
An image is an image

Our office admins use clipart for every notification they send out.

I guess that I do too much accounting work. There is no pace to put images on most forms. Actually my Nebraska form has several images on it that work just like clipart. For that matter my signature is nothing more than an image that is again just like clipart.

I'm glad to hear that someone uses these features as built. One person's useful feature is another person's bloat. Its good that you remind me that I actually use clipart in one form or another.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
I had hoped it would include a MS Access or something similar.

I don't have to deal with Access too much at my job, but enough to ask, is there software that opens an Access Database? Just curious.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I had hoped it would include a MS Access or something similar.

I don't have to deal with Access too much at my job, but enough to ask, is there software that opens an Access Database? Just curious.

Only Access can really work with access databases a program that Microsoft does not seem interested in converting to the mac.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Office 2008 should be faster. It also needs to do something more to warrant the higher price besides just being compatible. It also should either have a better Mac experience or just copy Office 2007. It is neither.

Fastshutter

Aug 21, 2007
It also should either have a better Mac experience or just copy Office 2007. It is neither.

I agree. I think it would sell better if it was a clone of the Windows version. Has the Mac BU ever given a reason for creating such akward software in relation to Office 2007?

indie1982

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
That's not the price most companies will pay

Remember $399 is for a single retail version, places that Volume License will pay no where near this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.