Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I think Apple purchased a mapping company sometime ago, so it is quite reasonable that they are working on their own solution.

Not really. It's not just about the maps. It's about the business locations, landmarks and intelligent searching. It doesn't matter how rich you are, that's a five year building job to even get close to where Google is now, and Google will be five years further ahead by then.

Phazer

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
I am sure there will be options. They won′t ban google, haha..

I think Bing is great. I tried it these days and it was awesome. If it doesn′t fail me, it will stay as my default search engine.

I hope that Apple will soon have their own map application. Is it still to early? Damn, I was hoping it would be finished for OS 4.0.

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Not sure kicking Google to the kerb is a great idea.

Last time I checked many cool features of Bing just aren't available outside of the US.

As long as Google is an option then it's not so much of a concern.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
Another steve jobs blunder. First flash now this but im sure the fan boys will love bing because steve jobs is going too say its better but we know better than that :rolleyes:

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
I'm calling BS on the idea that Google search wouldn't even be a selectable option, although I suppose its possible that MS would have paid Apple to be the default.

Aren't some of the features of iPhone OS 4 about tighter integration of the Calendar app with Google Calendar and GMail Tasks?

Yes, long term Apple and Google will be mortal enemies. Apple sells high-end hardware when the long term industry trend is to move more and more functions into the cloud, where Google dominates. But as of right now, they are both doing well and both stand to benefit from cooperation. Too many people use Google services and too many people use Apple hardware for them to not get over their differences. For now at least.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Bing, I just don't like the name. It really bugs me for some reason.

Chandler-Bing-chandler-bing-2906114-464-352.jpg

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Another steve jobs blunder. First flash now this but im sure the fan boys will love bing because steve jobs is going too say its better but we know better than that :rolleyes:

Sooo bad on Steve for not offering choice on flash but also bad on him for offering choice of search? You realize Bing won't be the only one right? You'll be able to choose.

But I guess you know better than Steve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.