Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
If Apple does this, kiss YouTube good bye.

Why?

YouTube is open. Google is open. They keep telling us so. That would just be petty. Part of being open is partly about respecting the decisions of others. If Apple choose Bing over Google, then Google shouldn't punish them for it by withdrawing other services.

Oh, it is from Arrington, treating it with a heavy dose of scepticism.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
:mad:

i am sad

i love google search

out of curiosity, since apple allows you to choose your default search engine, most likely they will allow google to be an option right?

settings > safari > search engines then currently its on google with the option of microsoft

so they will probably leave google on there right?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Is there even that much of a difference between search engines nowadays? :confused:

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
Apple should just have it like what Opera Mini has. You have a choice of search engines such as Google, yahoo, wikipedia, etc.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
We all know Steve Jobs sees Google as a threat. But I also read that using Google created large sums of revenue for Apple and money takes. Can Microsoft match that? If so Google is probably out the door.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Maybe they would switch the maps app to Bing Maps. I think Bing Maps is better anyway. YMMV of course.

In terms of place name integration? No, Bing Maps isn't even close, bluntly. It also auto-defaults any searches to the US instead of the map you're actually looking at. I've lost count of the number of tests I've done for a place in London to find Bing's first result isn't the place twenty yards from me on the maptile I was looking at, but a tiny town in the US with the same name.

Phazer

Cander

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
In terms of place name integration? No, Bing Maps isn't even close, bluntly. It also auto-defaults any searches to the US instead of the map you're actually looking at. I've lost count of the number of tests I've done for a place in London to find Bing's first result isn't the place twenty yards from me on the maptile I was looking at, but a tiny town in the US with the same name.

Phazer

Which is why I said YMMV which stands for your mileage may vary.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
Well, I won't mind if they just replace google as the default search engine. But I'd be pretty pissed if they completely removed google as an option and forced us to use bing.

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
bing sucks! jobs making a deal with the devil (what other choice does he have??) AGAIN; apple, with your market cap - build your own search engine!

where are the M$ haters now? :D

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Concerning - how's map integration going to work if the default search engine isn't Google?

Phazer

I think Apple purchased a mapping company sometime ago, so it is quite reasonable that they are working on their own solution.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I think Apple purchased a mapping company sometime ago, so it is quite reasonable that they are working on their own solution.

Didn't Jobs actually make a statement a while back about wanting to take maps "to the next level?"

tahoeroscoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
California
i really hope this isn't true, google is so much better than anything else out there when it comes to search an indexing the internets if apple drops them it would be really petty. If they give options then that's great, but to remove it completely would be a mistake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.