Microsoft Bringing New Dark Mode to Office Apps for iOS Devices

gwhizkids

macrumors 603
Jun 21, 2013
Still don't have it...I don't understand the phased rollout approach..
Still waiting here too. I think the philosophy is that it’s better roll it out slowly and make sure there are no showstopping issues. They have beta tested it, but Outlook is so mission critical, I suspect that they would rather be safe than sorry. If so, I can’t argue with that.

Reactions: decypher44

lulla01

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Still waiting here too. I think the philosophy is that it’s better roll it out slowly and make sure there are no showstopping issues. They have beta tested it, but Outlook is so mission critical, I suspect that they would rather be safe than sorry. If so, I can’t argue with that.
I am impatient but this makes sense, actually rolling out features from the server-side like this makes good business sense.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I have version 4.0.0 installed and I am not seeing the dark mode toggle either. Is the dark mode included in the free version of Outlook for iOS or do you have to be on the upgraded version? I find it kinda weird there is a rollout for just the toggle and not an app update.

Reactions: Rorosbutt

TheSkywalker77

Contributor
Sep 9, 2017
I love Dark Mode, but for the desktop version of Office it doesn't really make sense. The document is still bright white so that kind of ruins the whole goal with Dark Mode. But I still use it despite that. :p

gwhizkids

macrumors 603
Jun 21, 2013
I love Dark Mode, but for the desktop version of Office it doesn't really make sense. The document is still bright white so that kind of ruins the whole goal with Dark Mode. But I still use it despite that. :p
Ouch...that's how they do it? At least the web version of Outlook renders all dark, except for editing a draft of an email. The reading pane and preview panes are all in dark.

I can live with that.

TheSkywalker77

Contributor
Sep 9, 2017
Ouch...that's how they do it? At least the web version of Outlook renders all dark, except for editing a draft of an email. The reading pane and preview panes are all in dark.

I can live with that.
I don’t use Outlook, but I know Word doesn’t darken the documents and I’m pretty sure Excel does too. Those are the only two programs of the suite I use so I can’t speak for the others.

gwhizkids

macrumors 603
Jun 21, 2013
I have read that a few people have gotten the toggle pushed to their app instance, but I have not.
Still waiting myself. Wondering if we have to close the app and reopen it or if it just happens in the preferences panel "automagically". I would think the former.

Reactions: Mr$tone

Jerry Raia

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Been trying that for a while, no luck. The built in mail app is almost unusable for me in the this beta so been sticking with Outlook

lulla01

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Been trying that for a while, no luck. The built in mail app is almost unusable for me in the this beta so been sticking with Outlook
I was thinking of going PB since we should be close to GM but have heard the mail issues are bad..what kind of bugs are you seeing?

Jerry Raia

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Empty emails in the list that can’t be deleted. Emails from different accounts not showing up in combined inbox. Email notification count wrong. These are the main issues I have

Last edited:

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting myself. Wondering if we have to close the app and reopen it or if it just happens in the preferences panel "automagically". I would think the former.
By now I find myself opening/closing Outlook every 15 minutes (even force closing to make sure). The delay is annoying...

lulla01

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Seems like those ppl are running iOS 13 betas... is there anyone that’s on iOS 12 and has the option?
I have the update installed on my iPad's running iPadOS and no dice, so it must be random..or maybe people using Microsoft emails or something..

Jerry Raia

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
I have the update installed on my iPad's running iPadOS and no dice, so it must be random..or maybe people using Microsoft emails or something..
I have a MS office 365 account and I use MS to host my Exchange email accounts. I still don't see the dark mode option.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
Hmmm. I only use outlook app for my Microsoft email. Thanks for the hope that it’ll hit before then!

Jerry Raia

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Ditto. I think it’s just a slow rollout.
OK it just showed up. Not sure if this made a difference but I uninstalled and reinstalled the app (a major pain because now I have to re setup the email accounts). A few checks on it later and dark mode showed up

Tulani

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
OK it just showed up. Not sure if this made a difference but I uninstalled and reinstalled the app (a major pain because now I have to re setup the email accounts). A few checks on it later and dark mode showed up
That sounds cumbersome but maybe worth the while.

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Still nothing here, after trying that (and a reboot).

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
Tried that. Didn’t work :(

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Didn’t help. Thanks anyway.