Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Officially Opens CES, Briefly Demos Forthcoming HP Slate

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Steve Ballmer Demoing HP Slate-Style PC

After some technical difficulties resulted in delays kicking things off, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer this evening is currently giving the opening keynote for the CES conference in Las Vegas. After word surfaced that Ballmer would be introducing a slate-style tablet device tonight, many Apple watchers have been interested to see how Microsoft's offering might compare to Apple's tablet reportedly due for introduction later this month. Speculation had suggested that Ballmer might be introducing a tablet device from its "Courier" development program, but later reports tempered those expectations.

Just as Ballmer took the stage this evening, Microsoft prematurely posted a press release covering the highlights of Ballmer's presentation, and in highlighting the impact of Microsoft's Windows 7 release, the report notes Ballmer's demonstration of three new computer systems, including a brief mention of a slate-style PC from HP.
Current and future hardware shown on stage included:

- A new touch-enabled slate PC from HP
- The Sony VAIO L all-in-one laptop built for HD entertainment and multimedia content creation, and including a 24-inch touchscreen
- The Lenovo A300, one of the thinnest PCs yet at just 18mm, but with a 21.5-inch HD widescreen LED display
Ballmer's introduction of slate-style tablet devices briefly highlighted three examples from Pegatron, Archos, and HP. In focusing on the HP slate, Ballmer offered an example of the device running a Kindle application and noted only that the product will be coming later this year, with no pricing information given. HP has also posted a brief video teaser for the forthcoming device.

Other scheduled topics of conversation in Ballmer's address, aided by Entertainment & Devices Division President Robbie Bach, are Microsoft's Bing search engine, Xbox and Xbox LIVE, Windows-based phones, connected entertainment, Mediaroom 2.0 IPTV tools, and Xbox gaming, including the company's "Project Natal" controller-free gaming experience.

Article Link: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Officially Opens CES, Briefly Demos Forthcoming HP Slate Device

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Aside from the fact this is probably the worst keynote I've ever seen. HP should be embarrassed they even let Balmer touch their hardware. What an idiot, after 20 mins of showing us last years tech he spends all of 20 seconds on the tablet. The bar has been set... very low.

Comment

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
I guess black is the new blue. :)

But in seriousness, a couple of interesting offerings. Microsoft is really going after the living room in a way Apple has yet to do.

The Windows 7 stuff was a complete re-hash of older demos.

The Google stuff yesterday was nothing to write home about. And the Windows stuff today isn't very thrilling or cutting-edge.

The tech world is holding its collective breath for January 27.

Comment

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
This demo/keynote has been one of the most awful things I have seen in recent history

Comment

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I hate the fact that HP used the 'slate' name... perhaps Apple will change it now? :S

plus, I'm glad for the sudden surge in tablet releases, more competition is good!

Comment

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
Slate versus iSlate?

This is getting tedious and the products haven't even hit the market yet.

Comment

thewireman

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Michigan
Aside from the fact this is probably the worst keynote I've ever seen. HP should be embarrassed they even let Balmer touch their hardware. What an idiot, after 20 mins of showing us last years tech he spends all of 20 seconds on the tablet. The bar has been set... very low.

I agree with you 230%

Comment

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Know what this tells me?

Apple has locked up content providers for it's tablet thingy.

Makes sense. If you have a tablet and demo a little reading, you would think they would have mentioned something about being able to read multiple types of contents

Comment

pbellamy

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
New York
Oh My!

Is it just me or was that terribly embarrassing? The whole style of the keynote was awful. I've never watched a keynote but that was just awful.

It was like watching geeks trying to be cool on a school stage...

I am stunned that a corporation like Microsoft would present themselves in such a poor way.

As for the slate that really did seem to be an attempt at a spoiler. Showing a demo of a kindle app is hardly world news.

HP should have not allowed that. The thunder has also been stolen from what may be a cool HP device (when it eventually gets released).

Comment

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
From Engadget: "Thank you very much." And Robbie is gone. And... that's it? Wow. Incredibly boring. Incredibly incredibly boring. Really.

Haha so we weren't the only ones who thought so!

Comment

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
And people expected that Flash Demo Courier thingy?

Nothing like setting really high expectations and delivering - - - NOTHING.
HP the company that will deliver next generation anything? Microsoft maker of fine Flash based demos of vaporware.
When will there be pressure on Microsoft to get a new CEO? This guy has been so bad for so long. He really demonstrated his ignorance of technology by dismissing the iPhone when it was announced. Remember that? Instead of saying something like, "It looks good, but it's a tough market." He dismissed it completely. Dismissed everything about casual, mobile computing.

I guess shareholders of Microsoft have the least fun when he opens his mouth.

-M

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.