Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BMWFan

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
so i was perusing the feature comparison of the different versions. I read something a tad frightening. Based upon this comparison, encrypting File System (EFS) is now essentially a premium feature in windows. That is, you must purchase the Professional or if you can the Enterprise or Ultimate versions in order to use this feature. Furthermore, Bitlocker Hard Drive encryption is only in Enterprise and Ultimate versions. Based on this finding, I really dont know how Microsoft can make such a bold statement when not even the most expensive retail version of Windows 7 will give people a key security feature.

See here for a complete comparison.
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

You do realise there are plenty of free offerings for Windows that do the same thing?

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
You do realise there are plenty of free offerings for Windows that do the same thing?

Absolutely-I was only referring to things out of the box. There are also plenty of Mac related offerings as well. All I was trying to point out is that at least out of the box, Windows 7 cannot really be claimed to be more secure that Mac OS X out of the box.

BMWFan

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
Absolutely-I was only referring to things out of the box. There are also plenty of Mac related offerings as well. All I was trying to point out is that at least out of the box, Windows 7 cannot really be claimed to be more secure that Mac OS X out of the box.

Well some versions of 7 will and some not. Just like how OS X doesn't have all the features of OS X Server Edition.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007

Drive and file encryption isn't required to protect the OS from outside attacks, only outside-of-system reading of user files.

File and drive encryption is really an enterprise level feature, so that users can take secure and confidential information off premises without worry of data theft, the average home user has no need for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.