Microsoft Console Price Drop Rumors Thread: Edit: XB1 $349 Holiday 2014

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, Mar 31, 2014.

1. gkarris, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Well, the XBOne is down to $450. People are saying this is only for a limited time?

My original XB360 is going to red-ring soon (white one gotten the following Jan after launch), and Microcenter had the core 4Gig XB360 E-Models on sale for $149 in March. They were out but I had the local Target match the price.

Will MS do console drops across the board this Spring?

EDIT: XBox One will be $50 off Nov. 2, 2014 - Jan. 3, 2015

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/27/xbox-one-holiday-2014-price-drop/

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Both the Xbox One and PS4 have dropped in price in the UK, at least for some stores. You can pick up each console for about £50 less the RRP. I know our pricing isn't as strict as it the USA, but I wonder if the manufacturers are charging less or stores are reducing their cut?

3. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I'm holding out on the Xbox one for three reasons,

1. My Brother has one he barley uses, with a library of games for myself to enjoy and he let's me load me my profile on.

2. Hard drive space, if he only has 80GB left and he is what I would consider "A Casual" gamer. Someone like myself would be out in a month or 2, since he would let me borrow his games.

3. I can wait until December or Jan '15 to buy one of these. I'm waiting for the price to drop. $300 would be nice, but I'm expecting $350-$400.

4. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

I plan on waiting until the end of the year or possibly sometime in 2015 before I grab an XboxOne. I am a very casual gamer the last few years and I have no problem holding out for a lower price (hopefully) and a larger library of games.

Meanwhile in a crazy turn of events, I had to almost hide the cards from my gf so she wouldn't buy an XboxOne on launch day or shortly after. She was amazed by the integration with the TV and cable and the voice commands.

5. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I have a PS4 and have never owned an XBOX at all but I have been interested this year as I am playing a lot of games and like the potential XBOX has.

That said, I almost plunged with this price drop but may hold out until after E3 to see if there is a drop then to $400 as expected to be in line with the PS4.

6. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

So far, MS Store has the prices:

XBox One w/ Titanfall or Forza One (downloads): $449 (limited time it says)

XBox 360E 4Gig: now $179
    XBox 360E 250Gig w/ 2 games (1 physical & 1 downloaded): now $249
    XBox 360E 4Gig w/ Kinect & Controller & 2 games (physical) $299

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ryID.64751400?Icid=XboxB_C_360Consoles_031114

Maybe prices dropped just in time for the release of Amazon's fireTV? ;)

7. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I don't think they will drop prices, but they will probably have more bundles such as Titanfall + Forza. It depends on supply/demand. However, I have been seeing XB1 games (physical copies) drop in price by half or more, such as BF4 for $30, Ghosts for $20-30, etc.

I want an XB1 because I am very impulsive, but I still have a ton of 360 games that I have not beaten yet (I have video game ADD haha). If only I could play 360 games on the XB1! My main game is NHL14 and I was infuriated that the XB1 would get NHL15 where as the new console already has two NBA games grrrr.

8. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I think they bring it down to $400 at E3.

I dont think that will be a bundle but it without a game. Just a guess though.

9. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

They have to do something.

PS4's are readily available now. I got one as, even though I could've gotten an XBox One Titanfall Bundle for $449 plus a free 13 month XBox Live Gold card (worth $60), I still decided to spend only $399 on a PS4 and use the $50 for games (I prefer physical copies plus I got games on sale for $36 each).

Plus, I felt I was paying for the Kinect (really, MS Downloads cost them the royalties for the developer and network access only the costs of the infrastructure). I didn't want to pay for something I didn't want to hook up and use. Plus, Titanfall REQUIRES an XBox Live Gold subscription to work. :eek:

I think if they get desperate, there was an article last December that speculated that if developers weren't going to use the Kinect as part of their games, MS may drop the Kinect unit from the bundle to go down to the $399 price level.

10. Tsuchiya, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I wonder what Microsoft are planning.

Someone on HUKD spotted the Titanfall bundle for £314, and dabs.com are selling the console with FIFA 14 for not much more.

Hmm...

11. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I am going to get an XBOX1 at some point. Its not a question of if at this point as I have always wanted to try one out and like some of their exclusive titles so far that I havent gotten to play.

I am waiting though to see what happens at E3 and if a subsequent price drop occurs. I for one dont see using the Kinect either so a bundle without one will work nicely for me.

12. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Everyone around me now has all the new prices on the MS Consoles (above) posted.

Will be interesting to see what the "sales" are now on the XBox1 since it retails for $449... I guess MS will see how far giving free XBox Live cards will go (this week a couple of places were giving free XBox Live 3 Month Cards with any XB360).

New sales ads tomorrow (Sunday).

13. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

14. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Sony has sold about 7 million, while Microsoft has sold about 5 million. I am not surprised by those numbers since many people were probably turned off by the $100 price difference and decided to go with the PS4. Still, a 2 million difference is not that bad.

I will get the XB1 probably in time for NHL 15, but I suspect they will have more bundles until then. I doubt they are panicking.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Sony has sold about 7 million PS4's to customers. Microsoft has shipped about 5 million Xbox Ones to retailers (MS hasn't given recent numbers about sales to customers).

The interesting thing is the Xbox One sales numbers are very good historically speaking, but the PS4 sales are just better so far.

16. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes, the numbers MS gives out is to retailers whereas the numbers Sony gives is to customers.

Talking with a retailer, they no longer have the XBox1 bundle (with a game download) on sale - it is back to $499. Plus, they are out of the Titanfall bundle. No one is buying the Forza 5 bundle (even when it was $449) and they have a lot in stock. No sales or specials on it this week.

At the MS Store, I don't know if they have it on sale, plus when you buy it they ask if you want Forza or Titanfall and give you a download code for it.

Will have to see what MS does in the next couple of weeks.

17. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Attached Files:

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Is there anything else Microsoft can backtrack on in regards to their 'future vision' of the XBO ?

Seriously this likely means that kinect voice commands will never come to Ireland and I'll be left with this freaky ornament sat underneath my TV doing sweet nothing all day long.

I would surmise in freeing up kinect resources which they promised developers to claw back performance and make multi platform titles closer, they have made it possible that the kinect is no longer required at all ... and likewise in doing so resigns the peripheral to early history books as developers going forward will just choose not to bother supporting it.....

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The voice controls don't bother me too much, but I only use them for Hulu and Netflix since the controller shuts off mid-episode. But during the game it's a waste I think.

The motion controls... uggghhh... I don't even bother.

The only reason my Kinect is still plugged in is to identify me and log me in when I start it up. Hopefully with XBox Ones not having Kinect they'll add an option to auto-log in a user going forward, then I can unplug the thing. I can use Smartglass for controlling Hulu and Netflix instead.

20. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Sounds like great news, if you ask me! :)

21. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Awesome news for me based on my previous posts in wanting to get one.

I have a PS4 and have been waiting for a price drop on the XB1 which we knew was coming. $100 without a kinect is perfect for me.

Not to mention the Games with Gold finally going live with a couple solid titles to start. Exciting day.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

this very likely is the kiss of death for the Kinect... sure microsoft is now talking about "both type of bundles will be sold" but we all know how the total sales will look like in 2-3 years

how many big kinect titles are/were in the development pipeline for the next months ?

on their vision:
    the first hardware revision will cut the HDMI-in port .... i guarantee it. It's the only thing left AFAIK.

also it's rather obvious why they quietly announce this kinect-less bundle now instead of the E3. Presenting that bundle at E3 ... perhaps an hour before a Sony press conference ? A recipe for disaster.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah HDMI-In is useless for me as just like Kinect it is not supported here properly at all.

At E3 they just need to be ALL GAMES ..... I can't see what else they can do.

On the bright side at least they are doing something.. Nintendo on the other hand just seem to be sitting in the HQ looking at that 'Hang on in there Kitty' poster...

24. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I got excited about the Sunset Overdrive trailer which could be a nice spark for the XB1 exclusive library which still IMO is way stronger than the PS4 one.

Even in all this debacle of how they handled a lot of their launch, they do have better exclusive games and this price cut is which will make a consumer like myself (already own the PS4) make the plunge.