Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Good luck with that. Upgrading an Exchange system sends shivers up the spine of most IT pros.

Depends on the person I guess; I moved all the users at the place I worked from First Class to Zimbra within a couple of days; notification then switch over at around 11pm-12 midnight. The next day the users were none the wiser; everything rolled along.

It depends on whether you're willing to do the required homework before moving to a new version or to another vendor.

With that being said, anyone who complains about Exchange should experience Notes - the most horrible POS ever devised whose client (Notes Client) should be classified as a torture device.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
This is huge and will drive more businesses to purchase and support Macs on their networks. Particularly medium to large businesses.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
This is huge and will drive more businesses to purchase and support Macs on their networks. Particularly medium to large businesses.

an office suite has no affect on whether or not companies decide to introduce the apple OS on their networks.

asdok

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
No, they're not. They're "de-emphasizing" them, which sounds like marketing-speak, but is different. Public Folders will remain supported for at least the next 8 years (the full support cycle of Exchange 2007). Microsoft themselves acknowledge the Public Folders are better for shared contacts and calendars, for example, particularly given they actually integrate with Outlook (and Entourage). Why you would want to get that info from two different places is beyond me.

You can actually quite easily connect Sharepoint Contacts and Calendars to Outlook 2003 and 2007 (Just hit actions, Connect to Outlook). Entourage however is unsurprisingly unsupported. Where Public Folders really shine over Sharepoint is shared mail folders. We file all our client communications in a dedicated public folder for each client so we all can refer to previous communications. I have yet to see a decent replacement for this, and is one of the reasons I'm really disappointed Snow Leopard's Exchange client isn't supporting Public Folders.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
an office suite has no affect on whether or not companies decide to introduce the apple OS on their networks.

I respectfully disagree, as a matter of fact the only reason I have to bring in my own macs and use webmail at a present company, is because no outlook = no support. Entourage does not count. As soon as we we get outlook, we get support.

Depends on the person I guess; I moved all the users at the place I worked from First Class to Zimbra within a couple of days; notification then switch over at around 11pm-12 midnight. The next day the users were none the wiser; everything rolled along.

It depends on whether you're willing to do the required homework before moving to a new version or to another vendor.

With that being said, anyone who complains about Exchange should experience Notes - the most horrible POS ever devised whose client (Notes Client) should be classified as a torture device.

Amen and amen.

In the middle of conversion from Exchange 2003 to 2007 myself. Last step is moving the mailboxes, and updating the routing protocols, killing 2003 off. Most bulk operations will take place while the users sleep... update DNS later, and boom done.

And as for Notes: yeah. Throw in Domino Server, and legacy support for cc:Mail, and you have a fine death stew. Ah, the bad old days....

eobanb

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2004
this'll be a boon to business users

I've known a number of Windows users thinking of switching to Mac OS X and one of their chief reservations is having to abandon Outlook; just the fact that Entourage is called Entourage and not Outlook puts them on edge.

Although Outlook has its deficiencies, I hope that the Mac version ends up similar enough to the Windows version that users won't have much trouble making the switch. Entourage as it currently stands is mostly a piece of crap.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Will the upcoming version of Microsoft Office be Intel-only, or will it be Universal?

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Amen and amen.

In the middle of conversion from Exchange 2003 to 2007 myself. Last step is moving the mailboxes, and updating the routing protocols, killing 2003 off. Most bulk operations will take place while the users sleep... update DNS later, and boom done.

And as for Notes: yeah. Throw in Domino Server, and legacy support for cc:Mail, and you have a fine death stew. Ah, the bad old days....

As much as I hate Windows with a passionate zeal reserved for religious folk - I am always happy with Microsofts middleware. I would love to see Microsoft focus on their middleware more than their operating system - that is where their strength is.

I'd love to see their whole Office product range (with feature and quality parity) and Expression rage ported to Mac OS X - I'd know if it were available I'd probably (95%) buy their high end office package and the Expression package without any hesitation.

Microsoft needs to realise what IBM realised years ago - the money is in the middleware and services.

arjunm

Cancelled
May 6, 2007
Well, it is still missing parts of the Office Suite for Windows Professional.
Access (the database program)
Project (for project managers)
Visio (for charting people)
InfoPath
Publisher (web publishing?)

I am not even sure what InfoPath does and could be wrong about Publisher.

I would like to have a database program on my Mac. I could use MySQL (which I use at work), but I imagine less technically-oriented people might want something like Access.

InfoPath is for publishing forms, so users can submit information. This can be handled by a database, a Sharepoint server and a slew of other applications. Useful in Businesses for collecting input, e.g. complaint forms, document uploads, support tickets and such.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
Does anyone know if Entourage WSE will be a free upgrade to current Office 2008 users? Can't seem to find this info anywhere on the MacBU site.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Actually I mean it in this context, especially because MS is confirming the Mac is gonna be the most relevant computing platform in the next 10 years...it's about time MS came with a damn REAL porting of Outlook for the Mac; and hopefully they will get their act together this time.

The time is come again!!!

MS Office will be Mac Exclusive... again.

Then theyll make another OS!!!

and forget about us... again.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Thanks for the better link. Word is a HUGE part of MS Office. To my thinking, eliminate Word and there is really no compelling reason to buy Office.

Gotta disagree. Excel is the most important. Word, after PowerPoint, would be the esiest to leave behind. Most, even in a business, don't need half of the power features that Word offers. Right now there is no spreadsheet program that approaches the power of Excel which many use to it's fullest capabilities in a wide range of areas.

It will be interesting to see what Outlook for the Mac looks like. Outlook 2010 looks like such a UI mess, like the rest of Office 2010 that I would not want to see an exact port.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
That was, of course, until my users started getting Office 2007 docx and xlsx files emailed to them by researchers, foundations, and other business entities that they couldn't open in Office 2004, or that the Open XML Converter wouldn't convert properly because it spent almost all of 2008 in Beta with significant bugs - which was almost 14 months or more since Office 2007 hit the market. Of course, for the VBA scripts our researchers were using in Excel, they could always convert them to AppleScript, which no Windows user would be able to access. You're right, there wasn't a gun pointed at my head at all, just general incompetence from Microsoft.

If your researchers are heavily dependent on VBA than you should consider a Fusion or Parallels / Office for Windows solution. While I realize that defeats much of the purpose of owning a Mac, at least it solves the VB problem until or if MS ports it to the Mac. I use such a solution because I need Outlook as a primary mail system as well as Visio.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Unless one has not other choice (employer demand) or requires some specific feature not available in alternatives, iWork, NeoOffice and OpenOffice offer more features and serviceability then the majority of users (Mac, PC and Linux) require.

Why anyone would pay Microsoft for Office is beyond me. Even those with employers that blindly demand that Office be used often use the other products at home without their employers even knowing (as i do).

While I also use a Mac in a PC centered firm; there is one very valid reason for using MS Office - full compatibility with MS Office files. I can't afford to have a file be unreadable or messed up when I ship it to a client, hence my use of Fusion / Office.

Yes, the laets version of Office for Windows has some issues, especially Powerpoints use of templates, but at least I know what the client will see; soemthing I can't be sure of with NeoOffice.

NO, OTOH, is nice; but it's import features are problematic - I never know what it will screw up. I do recommend it to friends with HS / college students because it does meet their needs quite nicely, once you set it up properly.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
I'm not sure if I should be happy about this news or not. A proper Cocoa Office will be nice but I can't say that me and Outlook have ever seen "eye to eye" (I honestly prefer the simplicity and speed of Mail so I'll be interested to see how well Exchange compatibility works in the Snow Leopard version) and I'm not happy that we have to wait until around November next year (depending on what "holidays" is defined as by Microsoft).

I use Outlook exclusively at work and appreciate its many features. I wish Mail was as versatile and rich with the email features of Outlook. Since neither is the case with Mail, I am looking forward to Microsoft's Mac version next year.

As much as I hate Windows with a passionate zeal reserved for religious folk - I am always happy with Microsofts middleware. I would love to see Microsoft focus on their middleware more than their operating system - that is where their strength is.

I'd love to see their whole Office product range (with feature and quality parity) and Expression rage ported to Mac OS X - I'd know if it were available I'd probably (95%) buy their high end office package and the Expression package without any hesitation.

Microsoft needs to realise what IBM realised years ago - the money is in the middleware and services.

Have to agree. MS middleware, all the way up to the server level, I can live with. Exchange and SQL Server are OK, but IIS in any flavor or version is tolerable as long as you don't let it out to the interwebs all by itself.

And I think that's where we approach the difference between MS and Apple, using IBM as the exception which proves the rule. MS, on the OS side, has been forced to make so many concessions in terms of backwards compatibility, hardware compatibility, and so on, that holes large enough to herd cats through them are still being discovered. I think this extends to most things on the desktop as well, to include Office and IE.

Apple, OTOH, has held control of both hardware and software, and is blessed with a far more stable and robust core in the first place. When you are certain of the road, you can tweak the car -- no need to pack sand paddles and snow chains, as it were.

IBM once held it all in an iron fist, from the big iron to the green screen. Piece by piece, they didn't relinquish that control willingly, it was taken from them by their customers. Instead of dictating "you may have this", IBM now says, "may we sell you this or this or that? Please?".

We're seeing history repeated, I think. MS should, in my humble opinion, concentrate where they excel, and own that segment. They, like IBM before, are beginning to lose their total hegemony. I think we will see the day when MS is a leader in certain areas, and merely a player in many others.

Disclaimer: Yes, MS defenders, I know. Win7 is on the way, it will blah blah blah. It will sell millions of copies, I'm sure. It'll be a good OS, and so on. Not what I'm talking about, however. I am not sounding the "death knell" for MS, not at all. I'm saying that MS's focus not only can change, but that it should, and sooner or later, it will. It's unavoidable now. IMO.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Disclaimer: Yes, MS defenders, I know. Win7 is on the way, it will blah blah blah. It will sell millions of copies, I'm sure. It'll be a good OS, and so on.

We'll need to wait and see about that.

The same thing was said about Vista just prior to release. We'll only really know the story after the first 3-4 months. MS has quite a lousy reputation to live down in this area, and the beta testers themselves (if Vista was anything to go by) can't be trusted entirely. We already know that sales of Windows are not connected to the quality of the finished product. Sales simply happen due to ubiquitous licensing, inertia, and consumer ignorance (although we're slowly moving out of the ignorance phase, albeit very slowly.)

It's only when Joe Average installs it and uses it that we'll know the reality of the situation. Remember, this is Windows we're talking about.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
We'll need to wait and see about that.

The same thing was said about Vista just prior to release. We'll only really know the story after the first 3-4 months. MS has quite a lousy reputation to live down in this area, and the beta testers themselves (if Vista was anything to go by) can't be trusted entirely.

It's only when Joe Average installs it and uses it that we'll know the reality of the situation. Remember, this is Windows we're talking about.
True, except that Joe Average doesn't install anything. He buys his computer at Best Buy, takes it home, and uses it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.